Author Topic: Nikon NX studio  (Read 47617 times)

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
Re: Nikon NX studio
« Reply #105 on: August 18, 2021, 18:22:15 »
How is NX Studio doing on M1 CPU MacBook Pro(s)? Is it useable if inconvenient?

My Early 2011 MBP froze up and took about 8 to 10 tries to reboot. Usually it can be booted in 3 tries. Once it gave me the dreaded blue screen with vertical black stripes. The logic board is defective. The AMD Radeon HD 6750M display is shot. I read it's a typical problem with these unibody MBP(s).

Any feedback appreciated.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

FrankNicklin

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #106 on: October 19, 2021, 16:49:58 »
I have just installed version 1.0.1 and still cannot get adjustments to save back to the original NEF files. Am I missing something.

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #107 on: October 19, 2021, 17:01:17 »
I have just installed version 1.0.1 and still cannot get adjustments to save back to the original NEF files. Am I missing something.

Nikon software released since 2014 has not written edits into NEF files, instead, they are stored in sidecar files. To get the edits into image files, you can use export or open with.

FrankNicklin

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #108 on: October 19, 2021, 17:13:47 »
Nikon software released since 2014 has not written edits into NEF files, instead, they are stored in sidecar files. To get the edits into image files, you can use export or open with.

No, in the settings/options for NX Studio you now have the option to save adjustments to the original file.

Bruno Schroder

• NG Supporter
  • Future is the only way forward
« Reply #109 on: October 19, 2021, 17:22:09 »

I also just installed it and I must say I have some cognitive dissonances with respect to my previous work habits :). Same as you, I can't find the possibility to save the edits or save a copy. However, I noticed it saves edits automatically in a NKSC-PARAM folder in the origin folder. Edits are automatically applied when reopening the file :)
Bruno Schröder

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #110 on: October 19, 2021, 20:30:00 »
No, in the settings/options for NX Studio you now have the option to save adjustments to the original file.

I see. After doing so, will third-party software be able to use the edited file? Previously, DXO software was not able to read NEF files edited by Capture NX2. I suspect this move back to storing edits in NEF files may take some raw converters by surprise.

ThomasAdams

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #111 on: October 20, 2021, 21:12:41 »
I just installed this for testing on my laptop (Surface Pro).

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #112 on: November 05, 2021, 09:55:12 »
Now v. 1.1 is available for download. This includes undo/redo functionality, according to the list of changes:
"Added support for the Z 9.
• NX Studio can now link with NX Tether.
• NX Studio can now be used to enhance pictures downloaded from the camera via Camera Control Pro 2, Wireless Transmitter Utility, or NX Tether.
• The Undo and Redo options in the Edit menu now also apply to image adjustments.
• The default source folder in the export dialog is now that containing the picture currently displayed in NX Studio.
• Context menus in the adjustments palette can now only be displayed by right-clicking tool title bars or the names of the principle tool controls.
• Tools in the adjustment palettes are now identified by an icon in addition to the tool name.
• The info palette now supports display of the items listed below.

- Exposure > Shutter Speed now displays the shutter type.
    - Camera Info > Vibration reduction now shows ON (Normal) for pictures taken with vibration reduction enabled and set to normal.
    - A number of the existing mode names for Camera Info > AF-area mode have been altered to match those displayed by the camera.

• Addressed an issue in which the “before-and-after” display would not respond to the “update” and “restore original” buttons.
• Fixed an issue that caused NX Studio to crash when opening certain TIFF files.
• Fixed an issue in which the edges of RAW pictures to which vignette control was applied would not display normally when opened in NX Studio.
• Fixed an issue in which crops applied to NEF pictures would not be preserved when the pictures were saved in JPEG format.
• Fixed an issue in which NX Studio would sometimes display different names for custom Picture Controls saved in NCP format."

Robert Camfield

• NG Member
  • Hello from MadTown
« Reply #113 on: November 12, 2021, 02:56:39 »
Just a concurring note...Nikon's new "NX Studio" seems to be good, though it does not incorporate the functionality of "Picture Control Utility 2" which I find useful...e.g., the predefined color tints.

I generally prefer moderate-sized laptops coupled with a larger external monitor. However, the acquisition of a larger Windows-based machine (DELL) with a 17-inch UHD monitor has changed my perspective. The 17-inch screen is sufficiently large for photo editing, while the UHD screen improves significantly on the resolution of the stationary monitor, which was a little dated.

Nikon Gear's ongoing dialogue is always engaged...Thanks to All, Robert   

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #114 on: November 17, 2021, 22:20:40 »

A note that Nikon released a list of supported applications for Windows 11:
https://www.nikon-image.com/support/whatsnew/2021/0916_01.html
(may need google translate).

Of course NX studio is on the list of supported applications, but it is disturbing to see Capture NX-D already listed as unsupported. One could worry that Nikon makes a test if the application is supported vs. the system version on install, and if not on the list, blocks it from installing. This happened in the past with Windows 10 vs. Windows 7. (In that case it was the other way around, CNX-D newer versions would not install on an older system, even if I personally confirmed that it could run once installed with a workaround). It would be nice if anyone could confirm that CNX-D will install on Windows 11 (although I have no immediate plan for an upgrade). I do not see NX studio able to replace the functionality yet.
Øivind Tøien

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #115 on: November 19, 2021, 18:50:40 »
A note that Nikon released a list of supported applications for Windows 11:
https://www.nikon-image.com/support/whatsnew/2021/0916_01.html
(may need google translate).

Of course NX studio is on the list of supported applications, but it is disturbing to see Capture NX-D already listed as unsupported. One could worry that Nikon makes a test if the application is supported vs. the system version on install, and if not on the list, blocks it from installing. This happened in the past with Windows 10 vs. Windows 7. (In that case it was the other way around, CNX-D newer versions would not install on an older system, even if I personally confirmed that it could run once installed with a workaround). It would be nice if anyone could confirm that CNX-D will install on Windows 11 (although I have no immediate plan for an upgrade). I do not see NX studio able to replace the functionality yet.

I guess Nikon don't realize that some of us need the features of the older software and yet in many cases we have to install the latest version of the OS due to security concerns or place of employment's requirements etc.

I am still feeling sour about lack of support for modern OS's in Nikon Scan.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #116 on: November 20, 2021, 12:17:17 »
Me too - and goodness only knows how many other Coolscan owners that are out there in cyberspace.

I am still feeling sour about lack of support for modern OS's in Nikon Scan.

Hugh Gunn

Wannabebetter

• NG Member
  • Grateful For The Instruction Provided Me
« Reply #117 on: November 24, 2021, 05:52:15 »
Now v. 1.1 is available for download. This includes undo/redo functionality

Finally! I was losing my mind (what's left of it) last night, when I kept losing my edits and/or had to rework images from scratch on write-protected files. (Yeah... I'm an idiot.)

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #118 on: November 24, 2021, 13:06:05 »
Finally! I was losing my mind (what's left of it) last night, when I kept losing my edits and/or had to rework images from scratch on write-protected files. (Yeah... I'm an idiot.)

There is no need to loose all your edits. You can "Save all adjustments" found in the "Adjust" menu. NX Studio will save an *.nka file (as I recall) in the folder you specify (or the last one you used). The same is available in Capture NX-D but the file saved is an *.nxd file. Note that Nikon in their wisdom has offered no way for NX Studio to read the older *.nxd files.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #119 on: December 08, 2021, 21:33:53 »
I don't understand what's goign on with NX studio. Sometimes (i.e. at some sessions) I'll do the adjustments as usual, but on export to JPG (Ctrl+E), the original image gets exported. All adjustments are just for naught (crops, straightening, etc.).

That's also a reason for my not posting for a long time, tired to have a session and no results.
Airy Magnien