Author Topic: Lightroom adds Texture and Clarity on Import  (Read 435 times)

Ian Watson

• NG Supporter
Lightroom adds Texture and Clarity on Import
« on: March 24, 2024, 19:39:30 »
I have caught Lightroom adding +8 Texture and +4 Clarity to photographs taken with my Zf. It never did this with my Z6. Adding zero Texture and Clarity to my import preset cured this unwanted behaviour. However, does anybody know why it happened in the first place?

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Lightroom adds Texture and Clarity on Import
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2024, 22:04:38 »
Inhad a similar problem. Lightroom has some adjustmen5s by default. Pretty sure You can change those to be "as taken" with the camera parameters, scene mode etc.

Ian Watson

• NG Supporter
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2024, 23:00:58 »
It is already set to be "as taken." The Picture Control comes through as intended. The adjustments to Clarity and Texture are a mystery.

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2024, 22:03:12 »
Here's how I modify the Adobe default choices.
Lightroom has "secret sauce" default settings on many parameters. These settings are what the Adobe engineers in charge thought looked good in the 3 minutes(?) they took to evaluate how to handle a given camera's files.
Luckily, the adjustment/elimination of Adobe's choices in these settings is easy.
1. Find a file that looks basically good or very close to good overall.
2. In the Develop module, correct all the Adobe default settings that annoy you.  Sharpening, Texture, Contrast, etc.  Set them all to zero if that's your preference.
3. At the top of the left-side Presets column, click the + symbol and click the Create Preset choice here. You are given a selector to include or exclude any of 43 settings.  Best to exclude Exposure and White Balance at this stage. Also, exclude all of the Transform and Effects settings from the custom User Preset you are in the process of creating. 
4. Give this new User Preset a name, and click Create
5. In the Import screen, when getting ready to import new files into Lightroom, in the right-side column, find Apply During Import. Find and select your new User Preset.  Now you are applying your own customized settings to the files as they are imported.
6. You can also apply this new User Preset to previously imported files.
Eventually, you may find yourself creating a number of these User Presets for many different looks.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Ian Watson

• NG Supporter
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2024, 01:13:17 »
Thank you, Keith. I have been doing that to set my preferred Sharpening. Until now, all the Tone and Presence sliders remained at zero until I moved them. For some reason, Lightroom wants +8 Texture and +4 Clarity for my Zf files by default. Perhaps it is a new feature rather than a bug?  ;D

At least the method you described can be used to stop it.

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2024, 05:51:17 »
Perhaps it is a new feature rather than a bug?  ;D

At least the method you described can be used to stop it.
Hopefully it helps. Throughout the existence of Lightroom, various little changes have appeared that I'm unaware of until it affects some setting that I thought was sticky. This seems to happen less in recent years, but I expect we'll see more.  It's especially bad when you're in a hurry and smashing the computer is ruled out as being too expensive plus doesn't punish the party at fault anyway!
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2024, 07:29:33 »
In Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) I need to change this when I use a new camera.  I make sure I have a  Camera Colour profile which I create with X-rite's colour checker card and save the DNG file in the appropriate place where ACR will recognize the new profile.

When I open a file with the new camera for the first time I will then first choose, set all the settings to zero apart from the lens recognition part.

I then create a new user preset with these setting and save this settings. ACR will then ask to change the Raw-Defaults in the settings where the new Camera is matched against this new User preset. Here it is also possible to make a match with the serial number of the camera, to create an unique camera match.

After I open a new file I  have now the desired settings.  But this only applies to Adobe Camera Raw and I am not sure what this effect will be in Lightroom.