Author Topic: Nikon D6 formally announced by Nikon  (Read 43922 times)

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Nikon D6 formally announced by Nikon
« Reply #210 on: October 18, 2020, 20:12:17 »
Unfortunately, only one set of settings can be remembered by Recall shooting functions. You can assign it to multiple function buttons but they'll all remember the same settings. Fortunately this isn't the only function that one can program to a function button. :-)

I noticed an interesting feature in the technical guide. If D6 GPS logging is on and you are shooting with other cameras along with the D6, one can copy the location data from the D6 log to photos taken with other cameras (ones that don't have GPS) based on the time of capture (assuming that the clocks are synchronized). This sounds very useful.

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #211 on: October 18, 2020, 20:33:18 »
Unfortunately, only one set of settings can be remembered by Recall shooting functions. You can assign it to multiple function buttons but they'll all remember the same settings. Fortunately this isn't the only function that one can program to a function button. :-)
I have detected that already. It would be more advantageous if at least each of the four individual configurations could have different settings

I noticed an interesting feature in the technical guide. If D6 GPS logging is on and you are shooting with other cameras along with the D6, one can copy the location data from the D6 log to photos taken with other cameras (ones that don't have GPS) based on the time of capture (assuming that the clocks are synchronized). This sounds very useful.

So far I am no GPS- User, interesting though
Wolfgang Rehm

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #212 on: October 18, 2020, 20:45:29 »
Forget everything I wrote about the metering mode above
What I did not get was:
1st: The second page with options including AF and white balance
2nd: that i dont need to chose a full set of options  but just enable or disable those I want to be applied and may it be just one
hard to understand but missed that somehow
Wolfgang Rehm

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #213 on: October 23, 2020, 09:44:06 »
This isn't quite on-topic but I downloaded the latest DxO Photolab 4 and tested it's "DeepPRIME" raw conversion and noise reduction algorithm on some D6 images, and was pretty impressed. The software has come a long way from what limited features it offered in its early versions, to a more fully-featured editor. I think for getting the most out of very high-ISO images, this is a worthwhile option. I will post some comparisons with Nikon converter, ACR, and DxO later. I posted this on this thread simply because I felt D6 users might be inclined to shoot in ridiculously low light where also the best algorithms may be worthwhile.

Interesting how the camera industry seems to be on a decline in terms of volume but both the camera technology itself and editing software are both rapidly improving.

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #214 on: October 24, 2020, 11:20:50 »
Today I got to test Glove mode for the touch screen as weather was near zero C, and to my astonishment it works with my leather gloves on. It would be nice to have gloves that are tight to the skin but the ones I have that are tight also spread some fibers so I don't like to use them for that reason, and leather gloves tend to have some "air space" which is great for warmth but not as much for precise control. But it seems to work surprisingly well.

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #215 on: October 24, 2020, 12:00:58 »
Looking forward to see some pictures now.  :)
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #216 on: October 24, 2020, 23:11:22 »
Got some time to bring the D6 to its first outdoor use last Sunday. Found some two remaining European hamsters  (Cricetus cricetus) still moving around.

Here is one -taken with the AF-S 80-400 f/4,5-5,6
Wolfgang Rehm

MFloyd

• NG Member
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #217 on: October 24, 2020, 23:57:31 »
Nice. Cute.  :)
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #218 on: October 25, 2020, 14:06:39 »
Got some time to bring the D6 to its first outdoor use last Sunday. Found some two remaining European hamsters  (Cricetus cricetus) still moving around.

Here is one -taken with the AF-S 80-400 f/4,5-5,6

Very good. I like the way the animal is behind some grass but the viewer can still make eye contact with it. Handling distractions in the foreground can be a challenge in nature.

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #219 on: October 26, 2020, 11:00:43 »
Very good. I like the way the animal is behind some grass but the viewer can still make eye contact with it. Handling distractions in the foreground can be a challenge in nature.
Fine that you like it Ilkka. Placing an animal abssolutely free and isolated can also be good, but sometimes it is a temptation to show animals integrated in their natural habitat and partially hidden - and if there are some branches or  some grass in front - then may be it.
For doing I have set up my camera on single field AF (AF-C of course AF-S is disabled), AF is active only when AF-ON is pressed, so i can do selective focussing trying to get the eyes, and (with AF-S lens) i can manually override it without the AF being able to interfere in a negative way. This does not show the special AF- advantages of the D6 which will shine more when there is more action ongoing.
Wolfgang Rehm

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #220 on: October 31, 2020, 20:10:29 »
It looks like the tint in the WB is not read correctly by DxO PhotoLab 4. The color temperature is read almost correctly. Odd. The Nikon AWB converted through NX-D looks better than DxO's interpretation. Also at ISO 102400 DxO's new DeepPRIME noise reduction algorithm produced quite blotchy results. I actually like best NX-D's interpretation with Natural Light Auto and Standard picture control with NR OFF. It's not noise-free but it doesn't look artificial, either. This is cropped from the left but otherwise full frame. I would like the image to look more lively but on the other hand how to depict the darkness in the forest? ISO 102400, f/5.6, 1/640s.

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #221 on: October 31, 2020, 21:23:45 »
By contrast, ISO 12800 is quite comfortable with the camera. This is f/5.6, 1/200s, ISO 12800; 500 PF. Capture NX-D conversion. For some reason Adobe's and DxO's interpretations of the white balance are quite different from Nikon's which is more neutral. I'm pretty shocked to notice how much the difference is.

I have to say that the end of October and beginning of November is quite hard a time to photograph outdoors in Finland. :-) A shorter focal length with wider aperture would make it easier to keep ISO in reasonable limits, but then I am not often as close as I'd like.

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #222 on: November 04, 2020, 23:29:09 »
it is indeed a hard time for outdoor animal photography now but well done Ilkka - i like the High ISO look and feel

Unfortunately there is just one programmable "Recall shooting function" but at least one different for each of the four individual modes
Wolfgang Rehm

MFloyd

• NG Member
    • Adobe Portfolio
Nikon D6 formally announced by Nikon
« Reply #223 on: November 06, 2020, 23:41:04 »
Last week was probably my last outing with the D6 for this year i.e. in the south of Portugal, Portimão. Next one will be in January, in Daytona (USA) if COVID-19 permits. Time now do to some other subjects. D6 has 16'000 clicks on its counter from last June. Best sports camera I ever had.  ;)

_D626410.jpg

D6 portfolio link here:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmRXx4t7

BTW, I have a D5, in nearly new state, for sale.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #224 on: November 07, 2020, 12:32:03 »
Very nice with the disturbed air flow and lines in the back ground makes the car stand out in a very unique way!
Erik Lund