Author Topic: Nikon D6 formally announced by Nikon  (Read 43242 times)

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
Re: Nikon D6 formally announced by Nikon
« Reply #180 on: September 02, 2020, 09:40:45 »
Fantastic set of images. Great work! That night shot is outstanding

Thank you Paco  :) since June 18,

about 2 ½ months ago, and close to 10’000 clicks further down, I can reasonably ascertain that this is an outstanding  camera, well worth it’s « 6 » digit; perfectly suitable for my photographic activity i.e. sport & action. The main improvement being a even better AF - improved by, I would say, 15-20 % -; it’s excellent overall (color) rendition, requiring minimal or no post processing; and it’s easy to use wireless link to the outside world, where, for once, SnapBridge seems to work seamless. GPS localisation is very welcome. And quite unexpectedly, the GPS time stamps proved to be an asset in syncing image with other technical data collected by the race engineers of my team.  :)
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #181 on: September 02, 2020, 10:15:51 »
i noticed that there are no big changes from the D3s up to the D6 apart from the LCD technology :o :o :o
all we get are incremental upgrades on ISO, megapixel and performance, some ergonomic changes here and there.

I'm not sure what you mean by the LCD technology? Has there been big improvement in displays? I suppose it has been so gradual that I haven't really noticed.

Or, do you mean the features in live view?

do you think that camera technology has stopped advancing in the past couple of years? ::)

Yes and no. I don't have a D6 but the D5 AF is quite dramatically better compared to its predecessors, especially when photographing approaching subjects using some of the peripheral focus points (with fast enough lenses to support them as cross-type, mostly this means f/4 or faster). The resolution has gone up and fps rate too (especially in the D6). In my D3, I couldn't really use the continuous shooting feature because so many shots would be out of focus e.g. photographing vertical images of runners, using the linear points placed on the face. Most shots would be out of focus in this scenerio. With D5, most shots in the same situation are in focus. In Multi-CAM 3500 series bodies, the focus points were also larger in their sensitive fields and backlit subjects would be most of the time focused on the hair that is lit brightly from behind, and not the eyes. Multi-CAM 20k - pinpoint focus on the eye. However, results still vary from lens to lens and latest lenses focus more consistently than many older lenses. Partly I think because they're optically better corrected and so the focus is clear to see where it is, but it seems the motors have improved as well. So, I would say that the development in the past 10-12 years has been rapid and remarkable.

However, sensor side doesn't seem to be improving rapidly any more in terms of image quality; it seems that rather than absolute still image quality, the focus is now on the speed of reading the data from the sensor. This helps video, live view, EVF (for mirrorless) and allows features like 45 MP 9 fps in the D850. To me the sensors are good enough now, and from my point of view autofocus is where the biggest improvements have taken place in the last eight years or so.

To me one area which I think is of great importance is the viewfinder. I noticed a distinct drop in viewfinder quality and my ability to focus using the matte screen between the F5 and D3. I did some testing of the same subjects and was shocked at how much better I could focus manually using the F5. This was a great disappointment to me at the time. However, in the D810, Nikon improved the clarity of the OVF (new coatings) and I was relieved (maybe the D4s got this too?), and with the D850/D5 the viewfinder is again a delight to use, though eyepoint has shortened in the D850 and this is mildly annoying as I have to use certain kind of glasses to maximize the shooting comfort and I would have preferred greater eyepoint.

In the D850 Nikon implemented EFCS that is available also in viewfinder shooting (Q/Qc modes), and the D780 and D6 also have this feature. On the D850, I've noticed a distinct benefit to using EFCS with my 500 mm PF in the sharpness of hand-held photographs, though this is limited to 3 fps (on the D6, I recall Qc allows up to 5 fps). I find this feature very invaluable.

There is also new customisation features which have made the cameras more user-friendly, though Nikon unfortunately seem to concentrate them to the top models.

Snapbridge was terrible when it first came out in 2016 but nowadays it seems to work OK and I often use it to send images to friends and colleagues when I'm out shooting, trying to spread the excitement that I have of the subjects. However, it's still slow in the D850, and my understanding is that newer cameras transfer images faster than the first models. I would eventually like to see images pop up on my iPad or laptop as I shoot during portrait shooting, so people that I'm working with can see what I'm shooting and be more part of the process. This is now possible using a cable but I'd rather not have cables everywhere as they cause some hazards for equipment and people. So, better wireless functionality is very much desired. D5/D6 can use the WT-6 but I am reluctant to pay so much money for an accessory that cannot work with my high image quality camera (D850). Incompatibility between accessories and camera models is very annoying.

chambeshi

« Reply #182 on: September 02, 2020, 10:56:35 »
Thank you. Too kind  :)

I’m not sure that I get it re LCD technology.

Yes, I have the same feeling that the actual photo technology is somewhat stalling. But I have no idea what quantum leap technology could be in the pipeline.

Some would argue the D3 represents a major set of innovations.  https://www.dpreview.com/articles/3658529591/the-gear-that-changed-my-photographic-life-the-nikon-d3

On the other hand, each of the subsequent Pro DSLRs have inaugurated their respective set of key innovations. these have included improved sensors in lowlight, Autofocus, and Haptics/Ergonomics. Wireless/digital image transfer has also improved significantly. Looking back to advances since 2007, Nikon has extended the diversity of new features across the D8*0 as well as the D* cameras. Key features have also been "cloned" laterally, as in the AF engines: notably the D5 AF into D500 and D850.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #183 on: September 02, 2020, 11:20:28 »
Wonderful images, super impressed and agreed the night shot is outstanding!Yes there has been a gradual performance increase in all of the Pro cameras always, for every new camera, not just LCD  :o ;D

The D3 vas really a milestone, just as the D1 was! with FX all of the Nikkor F where liberated and a joy to use. IMHO the DSLRs from Nikon are as good as needed for 98% of Pro shooting - There will always be niche 2% that can find something they can complain or wish to be better about  ;)

The new Z series will for sure take the same steps of evolution but that is another story,,,

Erik Lund

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #184 on: September 02, 2020, 19:18:41 »
i noticed that there are no big changes from the D3s up to the D6 apart from the LCD technology :o :o :o
all we get are incremental upgrades on ISO, megapixel and performance, some ergonomic changes here and there.

do you think that camera technology has stopped advancing in the past couple of years? ::)

I think that the D6 is similar to the F5 or F6, approaching the limits of the technology line.
The Z line of cameras has a long way to go.

I would categorize improvements in low light capability, resolution, AF performance as being technology advancements.
What would you consider to be a "big change"?

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #185 on: September 02, 2020, 21:48:45 »
Wonderful images, super impressed and agreed the night shot is outstanding!Yes there has been a gradual performance increase in all of the Pro cameras always, for every new camera, not just LCD  :o ;D

The D3 vas really a milestone, just as the D1 was! with FX all of the Nikkor F where liberated and a joy to use. IMHO the DSLRs from Nikon are as good as needed for 98% of Pro shooting - There will always be niche 2% that can find something they can complain or wish to be better about  ;)

The new Z series will for sure take the same steps of evolution but that is another story,,,

Too kind Erik.  :D
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #186 on: September 14, 2020, 19:02:58 »
Too kind Erik.  :D

What kind of battery life are you getting from the D6? Does it work ok with the earlier versions of the EN-EL18?

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #187 on: September 14, 2020, 22:16:59 »
What kind of battery life are you getting from the D6? Does it work ok with the earlier versions of the EN-EL18?

Difficult to say; on the D6 I permanently use GPS and Bluetooth connection with SnapBridge. My guesstimate is about 10% extra consumption. Doesn't impact on my workflow which is within the 1500 clicks a daily session.  :)
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #188 on: October 02, 2020, 16:08:08 »
D6 in hand.  :)

The customization is amazing. I love the pattern of focus points in a rectangular grid with straight lines and columns and even spacing between columns.

Auto fine tune now also easier to find. No need to find the almost undocumented two-button magic code; auto afft is activated with a single button press now. For 500 PF it resulted in 0 fine tune needed. A good start, I would say.

I will now go and try to find some animals. :)

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #189 on: October 02, 2020, 18:13:26 »
Congrats Ilkka
Still waiting for mine (hope i will get it soon) - I have heard that so far whole Austria has received a total of five D6 cameras all for a sports press agency
Wolfgang Rehm

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #190 on: October 05, 2020, 12:57:10 »
D6 in hand.  :)

The customization is amazing. I love the pattern of focus points in a rectangular grid with straight lines and columns and even spacing between columns.

Auto fine tune now also easier to find. No need to find the almost undocumented two-button magic code; auto afft is activated with a single button press now. For 500 PF it resulted in 0 fine tune needed. A good start, I would say.

I will now go and try to find some animals. :)

Congratulations! Please enjoy and share some images! Thx ;)
Erik Lund

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #191 on: October 05, 2020, 20:01:15 »
Welcome to the club, Wolfgang and Ilkka  :)

A couple of night pictures taken at the 2020 24h of Le Mans, two weeks ago:

_D621990.jpg

_D621847.jpg

_D621999.jpg

click on image for HR picture

Some more over here.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmQKTkY1

Of which some taken with the unbelievable fast Auto AF, with the “where to start tracking” pre-positioning.

Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #192 on: October 05, 2020, 20:24:07 »
Welcome to the club, Wolfgang and Ilkka  :)

A couple of night pictures taken at the 2020 24h of Le Mans, two weeks ago:

Some more over here.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmQKTkY1

Of which some taken with the unbelievable fast Auto AF, with the “where to start tracking” pre-positioning.

Excellent, as usual, Christian! 
Carl

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #193 on: October 10, 2020, 18:54:47 »
I am a bit rusty with regards to photographing people, as I have only had a couple of situations where I've done that since the beginning of the pandemic in March. (I've mostly hid myself in nature and at work.)

I wanted to go out and document the people on the streets in this time. In the spring the streets of Helsinki were basically empty. Now there are people with many wearing masks.

There was a group of skateboarders doing their tricks near the railway station. They didn't mind me taking photos.

I'm only getting used to the capabilities of the camera, but so far it has impressed me. The 3D tracking is really sticky and it's much harder to get it fooled. It feels quieter than the D5 (one of my complaints about the older camera is that it's really quite loud) and even 14 fps mode doesn't seem to be much of a ruckus. The viewfinder visibility at 14 fps is excellent, the blackout is less of a problem than it was in the previous model.

This is with 70-200/2.8 FL, ISO 800, f/2.8, 1/5000s, 82 mm and cropped somewhat.

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #194 on: October 12, 2020, 13:36:21 »
When the D5 got the horizontal line (and vertical) group area mode, I wanted to use it in such a way that I could move the subject's position in the frame and just hold it on the line and it would keep it focused, but the gaps in the sensor array made this less practical than I hoped. In the D6, the gaps are narrower and there are fewer of them, basically there are three groups of five columns of sensors, and the groups are virtually gapless, but it's possible for the subject to fall within one of the two gap columns between groups. I played with this when photographing deer hanging out in a field, and basically as long as one is aware that these two gaps exist, it is easy to use the custom group modes and it does as you'd expect, focusing on the closest subject.

In the D6, the single-point AF has the choice of wide and normal coverage, and I wondered if this setting could be used to cover the gap columns in group-area mode, but it can't. According to the manual, the single point watch area setting affects single point and dynamic area modes, but no mention is made of its effects on group-area AF. In my testing I was able to confirm the wider and narrower single-point areas have a real difference; basically in the wide watch area setting, one can assume the camera will focus on detail that is just outside of the single-point brackets reliably if there is nothing clear to focus on within the brackets themselves (which is the normal watch area). However, in dynamic-area the difficulty is that it's dynamic, so it's more difficult to demonstrate the difference. I believe it is there as indicated by the manual. In custom group area mode I wasn't able to see a difference due to the single-point watch area setting, which is consistent with the reference manual's description. Nikon suggest the wide setting should be used for fast-moving subjects.

What I like about the custom group area setting is that it allows me to accommodate a deer or bird who changes direction or orientation and maintain good composition without necessarily moving the focus area. I typically use horizontal lines when photographing deer on the move, it gives me some forgiveness for not being able to hold the subject's eye perfectly under the selected focus point but is less likely to focus on background or grass than dynamic-area modes. Group area focusing has closest-subject priority built in and this is true of custom group area as well as the standard one. I felt that custom group area with a horizontal line worked really well for photographing flocks of birds at distance, as it reliably allowed me to avoid focusing on grass and gave enough focus points (adjustable!) so that I could be sure that at least one point was on a bird, so I avoided both focusing on foreground grass as well as background trees behind the birds. But, when using this technique it is good to remember the two gaps even though they are narrow, they are still there.

For photographing a single subject at close distance, dynamic area is probably better as one can apply it with greater precision on the eye, but for distant animals, custom group area is my favorite mode now. When using dynamic area on distant animals, often the depth of field is such that the system can pick up on background objects instead of the main subject and this was a common problem when using dynamic area with Multi-CAM 20k bodies. Now there are more options to work with. I think the custom group-area is likely to become quite popular when the system is adopted into less expensive camera models. I will try to make some screen shots from Nikon ViewNX-i that show the custom groups in action so you can get an idea of how they can be used.

3D tracking now shows multiple focus points in use over the subject, this is seen in the viewfinder as well as in ViewNX-i if settings to display focus point are turned on. Previously the 3D tracking showed only one active focus point. I think the new system is clearer as it shows what the camera considers to be the subject (often in the previous cameras the selected point seemed to be outside of the subject even though focus was correct! This is probably because of the 153 focus points, only 51 were displayable so the camera and browser would show the closest match but it sometimes wasn't the actual focus point the camera had used if it used one of the in-between points that are invisible). The D6's way of showing what the camera focused on is much more clear and believable. 3D tracking seems to now able to overcome the situation where the selected subject that is being tracked is temporarily occluded by a subject going across the line of sight, and can maintain focus on the selected subject. In the previous models, if I was using 3D to focus and track a person, it would almost always lose the subject if another person walked across the subject. 3D now works much better in the D6. I did manage to get it confused when a skateboarder in black clothes went behind a black lamp pole and the camera did get confused and stuck to the lamp pole. However, in most cases it worked perfectlỵ.

There is now a setting if activated, your selected point guides auto-area AF to start from focusing on the selected point and then it continues doing its auto-thing. What's more you can have the camera switch from 3D or auto-area into single point and it retains the automatically tracked subject as the selected point in the mode where one can manually move the focus point around. This seems very fluid. I will test to see how easy this is to use in practice.

In the D850, I've found I get noticeably sharper results hand-held with my 500 PF when using EFCS with Qc rather than normal drive mode (S or CL/CH). The D6 has Qc with 1-5 fps (user selectable) and it supports EFCS. However, I haven't been able to see a clear improvement by using EFCS in these hand-held situations with the D6, it's possible that the camera's normal drive modes are sufficiently well-damped, or it could be the lower-resolution sensor. I will try to more to see if the difference from use of EFCS is visible at some shutter speeds and conditions.

Overall, I am very pleased with the new camera. The customizability of controls and level of refinement especially in the autofocus are great. I hope Nikon puts out updated D850 and D500 models with as much of these features imported as possible so that more people (and those who prefer high-resolution sensors) can take advantage of the development.