Author Topic: Nikon 1 and D-mount and C-mount lenses  (Read 7602 times)

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Nikon 1 and D-mount and C-mount lenses
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2021, 11:41:02 »
Ok....will try it out when I am back from work..... :-)
The images with Cine-Nikkors seems to have a nice warm "touch".
Maybe this is a signature of vintage cine lenses like the Super-Baltar?

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2021, 19:19:56 »
Focus magnification is not possible with no lens attached on J5 (or a lens without contacts is mounted).
It need to be in MF-mode to do this and this menu item is "grayed out" (not active) when no lens is attached.
What Nikon should have done was to "auto switch" to MF when no lens was attached so you could press the OK button to activate focus magnification. When a lens without contacts is mounted MF is the only way to focus anyway. Probably only a question of a small firmware update :-)

But you can take pictures with Cine-Nikkors using the passive adapters but I guess that was not the purpose.
You can always take a picture and the during playback zoom into the image to check sharpness. 

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2021, 02:13:10 »
Focus magnification is not possible with no lens attached on J5 (or a lens without contacts is mounted).
It need to be in MF-mode to do this and this menu item is "grayed out" (not active) when no lens is attached.
What Nikon should have done was to "auto switch" to MF when no lens was attached so you could press the OK button to activate focus magnification. When a lens without contacts is mounted MF is the only way to focus anyway. Probably only a question of a small firmware update :-)

But you can take pictures with Cine-Nikkors using the passive adapters but I guess that was not the purpose.
You can always take a picture and the during playback zoom into the image to check sharpness.

that's going to be a pain for writing reviews :o :o :o
maybe i should gamble with the russian one?

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2021, 07:32:34 »
You can ask if he has solved the problems previous seen?
It seems a "DIY" chip exists for own installation if the GFotoStore chip does not work?
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4222851

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2021, 07:51:37 »
More info here about the problems with Gfoto adapter:
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4197350

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2021, 12:02:24 »
Even the "DYI" version can, and eventually will, cause compatibility issues. I had to put a strip of tape across he contacts when the chip ceased to function, as prying it loose was not an option (in this particular case). I still have a few of these chips unused and floating around in the odds-and-ends bins, but am reluctant to try over again.

Really a pity as the chip appeared as the perfect  solution to a maker's dumbing-down decision.

Erik did modify my FT1 adapter so it could feed the camera through one of my own programmable chips. That solved the use of non-chipped lenses with F mount, however those are just a few of the various lenses eligible for the CX cameras. Meanwile i have this "cyber-punk" version of the FT1 with a switch on top of it :)

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2021, 12:10:42 »
Even the "DYI" version can, and eventually will, cause compatibility issues. I had to put a strip of tape across he contacts when the chip ceased to function, as prying it loose was not an option (in this particular case). I still have a few of these chips unused and floating around in the odds-and-ends bins, but am reluctant to try over again.

Really a pity as the chip appeared as the perfect  solution to a maker's dumbing-down decision.

Erik did modify my FT1 adapter so it could feed the camera through one of my own programmable chips. That solved the use of non-chipped lenses with F mount, however those are just a few of the various lenses eligible for the CX cameras. Meanwile i have this "cyber-punk" version of the FT1 with a switch on top of it :)

its actually a very stupid decision, nikon could have sold the 1 much better if they did not cripple it and made it more competitive with 4/3. now i am thinking of getting an OM-D instead but the size of the sensor is much bigger than D/C mount, making it pointless for my reviews as I dont want to crop all my photos :o :o :o

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2021, 13:18:07 »

It's rather well documented in this thread:

https://nikongear.net/revival/index.php?topic=479.msg3573#msg3573 or skip down to:
https://nikongear.net/revival/index.php?topic=479.msg3577#msg3577

Looking forward to more NikonGear workshops like this!
Erik Lund

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2021, 20:59:14 »
If I attach the FT1 adapter to J5 and attach a pure manual lens. Then "everything" works (apart from correct EXIF data). I used A-mode and focus magnification works. Camera made correct exposure.
So what do you gain with the surgery of the FT-1 adapter?    .....is it only to get correct EXIF?
I assume that if I used an AFD or AFS lens then EXIF data would also be correct.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2021, 10:52:15 »
Not sure what models of Nikon 1 has Focus peaking with non chipped lenses, but I believe V1, V2 and V3 didn't have it,,, Correct me if wrong
Erik Lund

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2021, 11:09:03 »
i want to know the name of who is in charge of the Nikon 1 department and give him a good slap with a salmon :o :o :o

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2021, 11:41:45 »
What is especially nice the way J5 works with focus magnification is that after focus is done at the magnified view then when shutter is slightly depressed then view goes back to normal so correct framing can be done before exposure. I miss that feature on Z50.....it stays at magnified view during exposure unless the "minus" is depressed until zooming out to normal view before exposure.

I you can get the source code and development system for the Nikon 1 cameras then we can develop our own firmware for those cameras....?
For Z cameras is it probably not possible......yet...... :-)

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2021, 14:25:01 »
If I attach the FT1 adapter to J5 and attach a pure manual lens. Then "everything" works (apart from correct EXIF data). I used A-mode and focus magnification works. Camera made correct exposure.
So what do you gain with the surgery of the FT-1 adapter?    .....is it only to get correct EXIF?
I assume that if I used an AFD or AFS lens then EXIF data would also be correct.

"Everything works" is in the eye of the beholder :) You are restricted to A and M exposure modes and there is no relevant EXIF data registered. With any properly "chipped" F-mount lens on the FT1 you will get focal length, max. /min. and actual aperture in addition. Which precisely is the data often required when you do experimental work.

I did make a bespoke Nikon (CX) - (RF) adapter for my small 1 series Nikons so as to use the old RF Nikkors, and the not-so-old Voigtländers on them.  Complete with the goFoto chip in fact the only one working at present.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2021, 17:54:31 »
I have to arrest myself. There is another functioning goFoto chip which I had forgotten all about -- as it is permanently grafted onto one of my TV Heligon glass monsters. Thus I can get proper exposures with this überfast lens on the CX cameras.

Makes a nice contrast to the little, pink J2.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2021, 19:11:04 »
So there is still hope for Richard?

If I had Cine Nikkors I would get a passive adapter anyway just to try it out.....even that it had to be pure manual operation.
Still it is possible to focus in just normal view and exposure is quite easy with digital cameras where the result is instant visible.