Author Topic: Nikon 1 and D-mount and C-mount lenses  (Read 7779 times)

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
Re: Nikon 1 and D-mount and C-mount lenses
« Reply #60 on: March 19, 2021, 16:05:36 »
pentax Q10 and adapter ordered (for the little D-mount) :o :o :o

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2021, 21:42:01 »
Congrats with the Pentax!
Probably the J4 will give the better pictures :-)

I checked my 18.5/1.8 again and I am 9.99% sure mount is plastic.....and also the barrel (maybe only 99.8% sure about the barrel).
It has a "warm touch" compared to metal and also a "dump" sound when knocking at it with a finger nail or a piece of metal.
I just wonder why so many could be mistaken…...the logic would say that I am wrong :-)
I put my on a weight an without caps it is 70g.....so same weight as the "metal guys".....
Nikon did a very good job here to make "fake metal".....would be my judgement…...

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2021, 12:34:28 »
chinese adapter arrived. the C-mount one is better than i expected, the C-D one screws-thought the hole :o :o :o

i noticed that it is pointless to attach D-mount lenses to the 1, there isn't enough distance to get to infinity, in fact, very far from it ::) I may get more luck with my Q.
D-mount lenses vignette terribly on the nikon 1.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2021, 15:45:23 »
Is it the approx. 5mm difference in flange distance that's makes the difference?

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2021, 15:52:40 »
possibly, i dont think it will ever reach that to be honest. the Nikon 1 just couldnt support D-mount properly after testing with my 13mm :o :o :o

this is unknown territory, not a lot of information on the net

http://haniwa.asablo.jp/blog/2019/11/20/9179158

by the way this is the guy thats pissed-off at gfoto ::)

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2021, 16:05:41 »
https://www.flickr.com/photos/minami/albums/72157628619371093/

ok, it's official, D-mount is reserved for my Q :o :o :o

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2021, 18:49:35 »
If you have an adapter like this which converts D-mount to C-mount:
https://fotodioxpro.com/products/d-c-p

...and an adapter like this that convert C-mount to Nikon 1 mount:
https://www.koodinternational.com/16mm-movie-c-mount-lens-to--nikon-1-mount-adapter-j1-v1-113-p.asp

.....would you be able to adjust the flange distance a bit so D-mount lens gets relative close to the sensor of the J4?
....but I guess not enough to get infinity focus.....5mm in flange distance difference between C and D mount is a lot.......

Roland Vink

• NG Member
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2021, 22:12:37 »
I checked my 18.5/1.8 again and I am 9.99% sure mount is plastic.....and also the barrel (maybe only 99.8% sure about the barrel).
9.99% isn't very much :) :o
I'm happy to update my site if the plastic mount is confirmed.
All other Nikkors with plastic mount have bare black plastic - no metallic finish which would probably wear off quite quickly - so it would be unusual if it were plastic given its appearance. Maybe someone can extract one of the screws to see if the metal goes right through or is only a surface effect.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2021, 22:23:16 »
The metal seems to goes through entirely. Wear of the bayonet surface appears identical to what one observes on metal mounts.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #69 on: March 22, 2021, 22:57:40 »
At least it is not chromed brass as on most Nikkors. If is it a metal.....it is soft and light. I still think it is metalized black plastic. I looked in a loupe and think I can se places where bayonet it a bit worn that I can see black plastic :-)

The feel on the touch is a warm feeling.....normally metal feels colder.....by the touch......also when knocking at it with a nail.....the sound is like plastic.

About the bare black plastic......the standard 10-30 PD Nikkor 1 zoom.....has metalized plastic (it looks like metal).....but I think all agrees that this one has plastic mount even that it looks like metal?

We need Richard to make a deep scratch in his 18.5 lens mount :-)     ......or maybe the people who thinks it is metal......try a solder iron.....aluminium can take a short test.....but probably not plastic....even that it has a thin metalized layer.....

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2021, 02:03:03 »
i wont scratch it just yet as it is still within warranty. :o :o :o

i dont know, it does feel like a nickel finish, it felt like plastic really but it could be aluminium alloy which feels very much like plastic when touched. ::)

the body is probably some kind of anodized aluminum.

the 32mm on the other hand felt positively made from metal, it felt cold in my hands and the mass confirms it.

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #71 on: March 23, 2021, 02:07:39 »
If you have an adapter like this which converts D-mount to C-mount:
https://fotodioxpro.com/products/d-c-p

...and an adapter like this that convert C-mount to Nikon 1 mount:
https://www.koodinternational.com/16mm-movie-c-mount-lens-to--nikon-1-mount-adapter-j1-v1-113-p.asp

.....would you be able to adjust the flange distance a bit so D-mount lens gets relative close to the sensor of the J4?
....but I guess not enough to get infinity focus.....5mm in flange distance difference between C and D mount is a lot.......

i bought these, not useful at all :o :o :o
i wasted my money on the C-D adapter ::)
its wobbly, I may have to add a strip of teflon tape to secure it. it also screws-through if the lens is tiny such as my 13/1.8

waiting for my C-Q adapter. now i know why nobody uses D-mount lenses with the N1, its just not possible, theres not enough clearance on the back. i have an 8mm motion picture camera here and the register is indeed very short, almost 4mm to the film plane or so, the N1 wont have the distance to cover it.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #72 on: March 23, 2021, 07:25:02 »
I still think the mount is plastic.
I have attached an image of the mount of 18.5 and 10-30 PD zoom. It is same "material"......and I think most agrees that the 10-30 zoom has plastic mount?

If you look at top of 18.5 mount there are some black color which I think is black plastic behind the metalized layer......

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #73 on: March 23, 2021, 09:24:42 »
I also thought the mount of 18.5 was made of plastic, which I didn't mind.

A plastic mount on a cheap lens (like the ones on the kit lenses for F or Z mounts) is rather prefereble, because the mount will easily break when you hit the lens hard on something, which keep the body intact.  The body is usually more expensive than the (kit) lens, and to save the more expensive part is better.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #74 on: March 23, 2021, 09:34:53 »
i think it's made of plastic, after hitting the mount with a screwdriver it made a dull sound :o :o :o

however, aluminum also creates a similar sound ::)

anybody dares to scratch their mount? ::)