Author Topic: Rage against the Machine  (Read 5932 times)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Rage against the Machine
« on: June 26, 2015, 16:23:55 »
[ Posted 09 October 2013 - 18:44 Modified and reposted by agreement ]

Part 1. The Opening

Well, 'Machine' is a pretty ambitious description of the little Nikon 1 V1 I have used extensively during the last months. However,  as it is filled with electronics and whatnots to the brim I guess the designation is apt.

'Rage' is my own response to the camera system. It clearly is not meant as a tool for a serious photographer. Every aspect is either taken away from user's control or dumbed down. Without CPU lenses the camera is heavily crippled in its functionality (no metering, no precision focus), so the fact you can get cheap adapters for a lot of different lens mounts won't help you much. The EVF is screwed up by presenting an unsharp and washed-out impression of the scene and it responds badly to contrast changes. Even image quality is being sacrificed compared to what Nikon offers in alternate market segments. Apart from its superb autofocusing speed and accuracy, which basically don't interest me because I prefer manual lenses, any current m43 or NEX system will blow the 1V1 out of the water.

It is a cute and well made little camera, though. Something you can bring along when you want a lessened load. It even supports GPS which is an important feature in my view. I am all the time informed this system or its relatives will lead the way to the future and to photographic Nirvana. An assertion to which I am a non-believer.

Why would anything like this attract me despite all the caveats set out above? Well, I guess there always is that unpredictable human component in the interface between camera and actual photography. The quirkiness and drawbacks become a challenge rather than a liability. It is also a reminder of the fact that despite all progress photographers take (or make) the picture so in theory all we need is a camera and we should be able to conduct business as usual. The 1 V 1 should be interpreted in such contexts. Plus some of my best photographs of all times have been achieved with "bad" cameras or lenses with a poor reputation.

All the above constitute the backdrop for my recent decision to enhance the 1 V1 for my own photographic applications. I want to use very fast lenses on it in order to capture images technically difficult to obtain otherwise. The main stumble block to overcome is to provide exotic lenses with a CPU so the camera is lifted out of its crippled dysfunctional state. Plans are made and airfare to my friend Erik Lund, the famous 'Dr. Lens' aka 'The Great Dane' is booked. I'll depart Oslo early next week to team up with him in Copenhagen, Denmark.

Luckily for me, I was able to order all the required components (CX mount, contact block etc.) from Nikon Europe.  That saved me butchering a couple of 1-series 10 mm f/2.8 Nikkors to scavenge similar parts. I'll add my own CPUs and adapters.

Here are the factory components from the order I just received, with hand-written (!) labels. Also seen is the Nikkor 55 mm f/1.2 CRT which I know works well on the 1 V1, complete with a focusing extension to allow focus from infinity to 1:1 life-size. It has very strong curvature of field at distance so probably will not be used too much for infinity shots, but still nice to have the option of focusing into the background. Besides the 55 Nikkor we will add CPU-enabled mounts to "X-ray" lenses like the Rodenstock Heligon 50 mm f/0.75. Such lenses can be move closer to the film plane on the 1-series cameras so you can break out of the extreme close-up mode otherwise given by [DSLR] systems with longer back focus distance. The third item is an AI/AIS adapter for CX which we will CPU-modify so it supports metering and enhanced functionality with any F-mount Nikkor (not 'G' types, but these are well served by my FT-1 adapter anyway).

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: Rage against the Machine
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 16:30:04 »
Part 2. The Setback (?)

When things seem to be easy and solutions appear out of the blue sky, one should be suspicious. Erik and I quickly discovered the fact I should have found earlier myself, namely the 1 Nikkors have the equivalent of "E" aperture control. So it'll only operate with power from the camera and electronics to match. My standard CPU chips were developed for the F protocol so cannot handle the E situation.

Oh well.

We are now working along two directions. Erik is actively researching a solution in which the FT1 adapter can serve dual purposes by hooking a switch into the electronics and routing the F chip through the switch. This would be on the "front end" of the electronic circuitry, at the point where the electronics communicate with the attached lens and its CPU. We would need the switch so as to be able to keep the FT1 functionality with CPU-enabled Nikkors as before, but at the same time allowing manual non-chipped F-mount lenses to operate with electronic assistance to the 1 Nikons.  Breaking news: Erik has located the part we need and there is a dealer in Copenhagen. So we'll be on our way shortly to pick up the switch component.

Meanwhile, we made a genuine CX mount for my Rodenstock 50 mm f/0.75 Heligon, using factory mount treated with the usual Dremel so as to allow room for the rear element of the Heligon. This allows the lens to be seated pretty deep into the camera throat and accordingly it'll focus farther away than usual. Image quality improves as well since the lens parameters aren't as harshly abused as on the DSLRs.

A few quick test shots to demonstrate the capability of the 50 mm Heligon. We now observe it is quite sharp and its bokeh splits into two dimensions. Behind the plane of focus the bokeh is simply out of this world. One cannot imagine a smoother dreamlike rendition with perfect fading out of details. In front of the focal plane bokeh is smooth too, but there is a nervousness to it seen with highlights that calls for some care.

Here is a bad apple with the Rodenstock. Note the exquisite bokeh.

Now, to show the difference caused by front or rear focus plane. The subject is a pretty Dahlia. The capitula (flower heads) were separated by approx 4 cm in depth.

Focus on the front flower head shows the background, as expected, rendered beautifully out of focus.

Refocusing brings unsharpness to the front. Now, the bokeh appearance changes dramatically.

So, you have to watch out for specular highlights in the foreground with this lens or you could capture more than you have bargained for. But so über-cool a lens.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 16:35:14 »
A few shots from the making of the Rodenstock to a CX lens. There is a lot of grunt work and metal filings fly everywhere so not for the faint of heart. However, this German industrial lens has the strength necessary to facilitate its conversion when you sink the drill bit into it here and there :)

Reshaping the CX mount so it can accommodate the beefy Heligon.: We used  the factory mount from the 10/2.8 1 Nikkor as it apparently is the only decently made mount. In fact, built like an ordinary F mount with plenty of metal (the ordinary CX mounts are plastic with metal plating). The new 35/1.2 might have similar quality mount but was not available.

After reshaping the mount, it could be fastened to the rear of the Heligon. Again, drilling into solid metal. These Heligon lenses and their ilk are hefty lumps of metal and high-refractive, heavy glass. We made the mount interchangeable through a 52 mm thread mount.

Here the massive lens poses on its 1V1 host and completely dwarfs the tiny camera.

The arrival of rainy weather convinced us the lens should have a lens hood and thus we needed to add filter threads to it (done through attaching a 77 mm filter). More drilling.

Now, just some patience to let the Locktite cure and we're all set to heligonise the ambient world ...

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 16:40:38 »
Part 3. Brain Surgery Saves the Day

As announced in an earlier post,  Erik did a research on the possibility of of doing brain surgery on the FT-1. The general idea again being to facilitate operation of non-CPU lenses on the 1V1 using the modified FT-1 as a proxy. A switchable bypass would be the solution we sought. Erik isn't known as 'Dr. Lens' without a reason !

So, here we go again. Erik initiates the surgical bypass procedure. We intended to do a 'proof of concept' first before butchering the FT-1 beyond recognition. Thus adding a pathway to our own CPU would be the first step.

Here the bypass is completed. Note this is just to prove the idea works.

And yes - it works. We have indeed established contact with our own CPU (temporarily set to f/1 just to make it unique. No Nikkor has had an f/1 CPU before).

Tomorrow we'll pick up the missing switchcomponent from a nearby dealer and finalise the design to a functional level.  Stay tuned.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 16:47:13 »
Part 4. Enhanced Evolution

Today we got hold of the remaining components for the FT1+ generic adapter. Plus a nifty OM-1 Winder that will provide the much needed handgrip for the tiny 1V1. The switch was a perfect fit, it only sticks out of the  FT-1 adapter a little bit.

After all its internals had been ripped out and disposed of, the OM winder fits the 1V1 almost perfectly. It will have an activated release button but that shall have to wait a few minutes until other more pressing tasks are completed.

While I did complete the butchering of the OM winder, Erik patiently wired the switch into the circuitry of the FT-1.

The innards of the adapter got filled to the bursting point without affecting Erik's determination to complete the task.

Then, time to make the cut-out for the switch. Dremel to the rescue. We need more clearance.

Assembling the pieces ....

So, finally the enhanced FT1 can meet its camera and lens mates. Everything works according to plan !!

Still we need to finalise the grip, but that can wait until later tonight.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 16:49:58 »
Finally a real operational 1V1 without the inherent instability and shaking all over due to the way too small and overly light-weight camera. As the grip has been surgically cleansed inside it actually is featherweight but improves the handling immensely. It allows a firm hold and proper hand holding. Just to demonstrate how inadequate these small mirrorless cameras are in terms of their handling.

We dissected an ML-L3 Infrared remote and hooked it to the release button on the Oly grip. The IR LED was moved over to the rear of the grip so it sits in close proximity to the rear IR sensor of the 1V1.

Here the cables from the grip's own release are routed through the ML-L3 circuitry. The battery is hooked into the circuit as well.

The IR LED is moved over to the rear of the grip.

That's all there is to it.

The Olympus winder was purchased cheaply from Photografica in Copenhagen. They carry all sorts of second-hand goodies so drop in there to have a look if you ever visit Copenhagen, Denmark..

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 16:56:07 »
From today's excursion with the 'pimped' 1V1 follows an example taken with the new AFS 18-140 mm f/3.5-5.6 DX ED G VR Nikkor. Phew what an alphabet soup Nikon conconcted for us. The lens is nicely built and even has a 'pro' calibre weather-sealing rear gasket and a quality metal mount.

Here is one of the CCTV cameras from the toll gates at the entry of the Storebælt suspension bridge.

And the mandatory 100% crop. Not bad for a hand-held capture. View large to get the true crop ...

The "power grip" makes the little V1 function so much better in actual shooting.