Author Topic: Nikon NX studio  (Read 1240 times)

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
Re: Nikon NX studio
« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2021, 19:18:24 »
That's sure not the lack of RAM... just the usual poor stability of the Win platform when lots of apps have been installed, I'm afraid.
Airy Magnien

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #61 on: March 07, 2021, 20:40:30 »
I have had NX Studio crash, disappear suddenly once maybe twice. Other wise it installed and has run without issues on a Windows 10 Enterprise i5 laptop.

Has anyone seen the Undo/Redo feature working? I think it's grayed out 100%. This is not indicative of a finished v1.0 release.

I find the LCH and Levels & Curves tools too small for precise adjustments. In Capture NX-D these tools could be un-docked and made large for precise adjustments. In Photoshop this type of adjustment can be bumped 1 or 10 points at a time numerically.

I hope NX Studio will mature in to a viable program sooner than later.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

jag

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2021, 22:13:59 »
Has anyone seen the Undo/Redo feature working? I think it's grayed out 100%. This is not indicative of a finished v1.0 release.

Grayed out on macOS as well. Tested several edits, but the Undo option stayed grayed out.
Whn I quit Nikon NX, the edits was saved without confirmation.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #63 on: March 08, 2021, 09:10:00 »
Grayed out on macOS as well. Tested several edits, but the Undo option stayed grayed out.
Whn I quit Nikon NX, the edits was saved without confirmation.

Edits saved without confirmation is the reason I don't rely one the *.nksc (side car files). If I make edit and want to discard them they can easily be save against my will. It I experiment and make a half dozen changes then I would have to do a half dozen Undo or Ctrl + Z or Command + Z depending on the OS. With the *.nxd or new *.nka (save all adjustments) I'm in control. I can and sometime do save version and later delete those I don't need or want.

Anyway no undo/redo is not indicative of a version 1.0 program.

Dave

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #64 on: March 08, 2021, 14:09:49 »
Even on one of my smaller laptops, NX Studio runs well. Snappy response in general.  No hiccups so far. This is on a 16GB box with 1 TB SSD.

I have the same experience on both my desktop and laptop: it works well, pretty fast.

Chris Dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
    • Todaysphotography
« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2021, 17:40:21 »
I have the same experience on both my desktop and laptop: it works well, pretty fast.

Same for me.
On a 2016 MBP and a 2019 iMac (both on Big Sur).
Chris Dees

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2021, 00:38:38 »
I'm trying to communicate with Nikon regarding the failure of NX Studio to read and apply the adjustments saved in *.NXD files to an NEF being edited in NX Studio....

"Can you please explain what you mean by .nka and .nxd files as all raw files edited by Capture NX-D or NX Studio are all NEF file types." --Nikon

NXD files are Capture NX-D files the user can save that contain all the adjustments the user has applied to an NEF file. In the Capture NX-D menu: Adjust> Save All Adjustments> to save an NXD file and Adjust> Load Adjustments> to apply adjustments to one or many NEF files.

NKA files are NX Studio files the user can save that contain all the adjustments the user has applied to an NEF file. In the NX Studio menu one will use Adjust> Save All Adjustments> to save an NKA file and Adjust> Load Adjustments> to apply adjustments saved in an NKA file to one or many NEF files.

Users can have hundreds or more hours in Capture NX-D *.NXD files. It is a grave oversight for NX Studio to fail to read and apply an NXD file saved in Capture NX-D to an NEF file being edited in NX Studio. This is reminiscent to Capture NX-D ignoring adjustments saved by Capture NX2 in NEF files for many versions. Nikon should have learned and not release NX Studio without the ability to read and apply the settings in an NXD file.

“As long as the sidecar file is present in the correct folder, NX Studio will be able to read these as well.” —Nikon

This is irrelevant to NX Studio’s failure to read and apply NXD files to an NEF file being edited in NX Studio. Again the user can have hundreds or more hours saved in NXD files and Nikon should not lightly obsolete the users work saved in the NXD files.

...I hope this makes sense. I'm sure there are bunch of typos. I tried to get this logical and cleaned up before sending to Nikon.

Dave

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2021, 02:08:18 »
It's possible to use the *.nksc (side car files) as a bridge between *.nxd and *.nka files but one will have to run both Capture NX-D and NX Studio, open the NEF in Capture NX-D, apply *.nxd adjustments, close the NEF file to save the *.nksc file. Then in NX Studio open the NEF file and save an *.nka files. If there is more than one *.nxd files associate with an NEF file then this scenario will have to be repeated for all *.nxd files. This is slow and cumbersome. I'll have to do this for every NEF file from my D800 that I developed in Capture NX-D or start from scratch in NX Studio.

I've tried the above with a few NEF(s) from my D850 and it works. Converting all the *.nxd files to *.nka files associate with my D800 will take many hours, probably at least 100 hours. I don't have many NEF files I've developed from my D850 so the problem with D850 NEF(s) is relatively small.

Don't take your love away from me
Don't you leave my heart in misery
Cause if you go then I'll be blue
Breaking up is hard to do

--Neil Sedaka, Howard Greenfield

There is always a lyric for every occasion.  :)

Dave

duckdrive

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Nikon NX studio crashing on multiple computers
« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2021, 18:55:54 »
I am having problems with NX Studio crashing. If I resize my image using the mouse wheel the computer crashes and restarts. This has happened on 3 computers all with 16gbs of RAM. Can anyone offer me any help on this? I enjoy the program until it crashes.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
Re: Nikon NX studio crashing on multiple computers
« Reply #69 on: March 25, 2021, 01:10:37 »
I am having problems with NX Studio crashing. If I resize my image using the mouse wheel the computer crashes and restarts. This has happened on 3 computers all with 16gbs of RAM. Can anyone offer me any help on this? I enjoy the program until it crashes.

My advice is report the problem to Nikon. NX Studio V1.0.0 is clearly a Beta text version not a finished v1.0 program.

I would uninstall NX Studio and wait for an update, e.g. NX Studio v1.1.0 or similar. I would install the latest version of Nikon Capture NX-D. Under the hood CNXD is pretty much the same functionally. My observation is CNXD is slower than NXS. Otherwise anything you can do in NX Studio can be done in Capture NX-D.

Given time I expect NX Studio will be a useful program giving very good results, perhaps better than others, for developing Nikon NEF image files.

I'm in hurry up and wait mode.

Dave