Author Topic: Thin dumb "FTZ"  (Read 4358 times)

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
Re: Thin dumb "FTZ"
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2021, 10:38:33 »
Thanks Fons, I will re-read the Lord of the rings thread.

Thanks Bent, looking forward to your experience.
Got my adapter today, it works as advertised, seems solid made.
My idea of using my type 1 bellows worked out, as the round adapter just clears the Z6 off the rails.
Nikons own adapter can't go over the rails because of the hump with the tripod mount, and the aperture mechanics.
This bellows is much lighter than my PB-4, so useful on field work.

Kim Pilegaard

• "Nikea"
  • NG Supporter
  • Copenhagen
    • Profile at Nature Photographers in Denmark
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2021, 15:50:18 »
Got my adapter today, it works as advertised, seems solid made.
My idea of using my type 1 bellows worked out, as the round adapter just clears the Z6 off the rails.
Nikons own adapter can't go over the rails because of the hump with the tripod mount, and the aperture mechanics.
This bellows is much lighter than my PB-4, so useful on field work.
Looks fine for your bellows. The PB-6 has much more clearance to the rail, so the FTZ actually works. My wish for a thinner adapter is to get less overall extension and thus I will be able to focus further away with lenses shorter than 100 mm.
Kim

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2021, 16:44:39 »
Looks fine for your bellows. The PB-6 has much more clearance to the rail, so the FTZ actually works. My wish for a thinner adapter is to get less overall extension and thus I will be able to focus further away with lenses shorter than 100 mm.
OK, then it seems to be a Birna solution ;)

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2021, 21:14:35 »
You need something like this then, Kim.

Z-mount + 58/52 step-ring + K-3. Overall thickness about 2 cm. It is possible to shave off a few more mm by a different approach to mounting the K-3, but the solution shown is simplicity itself, can be made in 1 minute straight on the kitchen desk with no tools, and should last a lifetime. A few drops of Stuart Semple's Black 2.0 paint on the inside and it's about perfect. The sample show is *not* perfect, as I just made it by demand a few minutes ago (note to self: find the missing screw in the bayonet of the K-3 ....)

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2021, 22:20:10 »
Don't know if this is much help but M42 to Nikon Z very thin adapters exists and they are very cheap......almost for free......as I remember it.
I can't remember why I got these.....probably had something in my mind....

Kim Pilegaard

• "Nikea"
  • NG Supporter
  • Copenhagen
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2021, 23:07:38 »
You need something like this then, Kim.

Z-mount + 58/52 step-ring + K-3. Overall thickness about 2 cm. It is possible to shave off a few more mm by a different approach to mounting the K-3, but the solution shown is simplicity itself, can be made in 1 minute straight on the kitchen desk with no tools, and should last a lifetime. A few drops of Stuart Semple's Black 2.0 paint on the inside and it's about perfect. The sample show is *not* perfect, as I just made it by demand a few minutes ago (note to self: find the missing screw in the bayonet of the K-3 ....)
Birna, it looks very nice. I already have 2 of the three components, just lacking the Z-rear mount.
Kim

Kim Pilegaard

• "Nikea"
  • NG Supporter
  • Copenhagen
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2021, 23:08:47 »
Don't know if this is much help but M42 to Nikon Z very thin adapters exists and they are very cheap......almost for free......as I remember it.
I can't remember why I got these.....probably had something in my mind....

I wonder whether the 42mm is too narrow and could cause vignetting - otherwise a cheap solution.
Kim

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2021, 23:15:12 »
The free opening will diminsh further unless you had in mind to mount anything 42mm thread ... this because of at least one more adapter to insert into the threads.

In terms of robustness, there is no comparison.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2021, 23:31:06 »
I wonder if you could "just" glue the K3 onto the M42 to Z-adapter......
The "F-hole" is just a little bit larger than the M42......by "eye-measurement".....

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2021, 23:43:20 »
....or if you have a "trash" Nikon camera.....Nikon EM?    .....then take the F-mount ring out and glue it to the M42 to Z?

Kim Pilegaard

• "Nikea"
  • NG Supporter
  • Copenhagen
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2021, 23:51:03 »
I wonder whether a two-part solution might be possible with a Baader Wide-T-Ring Nikon Z:

https://www.baader-planetarium.com/en/baader-wide-t-ring-nikon-z-with-d52i-to-t-2-and-s52.html

If the T-2 ring is removed the K-3 might fit into the ring and be fixed by the screws?
Kim

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2021, 23:56:43 »
Apparently, yes. The price isn't that bad either, considering what we bleed for the purchase of the legendary 'Venus' Baader U filter :)

Dr Klaus Schmitt

• NG Member
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2021, 22:30:02 »
Apparently, yes. The price isn't that bad either, considering what we bleed for the purchase of the legendary 'Venus' Baader U filter :)

Then ask me and you get it quite cheaper... :LOL:
formerly known as kds315

Kim Pilegaard

• "Nikea"
  • NG Supporter
  • Copenhagen
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2021, 15:17:39 »
Here is my first version of a thin dumb FTZ adapter. Heavily inspired by Birnas solution, but using slightly different parts, I end up with a quite thin ring (slightly less than 15mm). The parts are:
- a reversing ring Nikon Z to 58mm
- a step-down ring 55mm to 52 mm
- a K3 ring

The step ring fits perfectly into the inner side of the reversing ring, where there is no thread. Thus it can be rotated to the desired position and fixed with epoxy glue.

When mounting the Z camera with this thin ring to the PB-6, the bellows must be turned to the vertical position. After mounting, it can be rotated to the horizontal position.
Kim

hmallat

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Personal website
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2021, 18:38:54 »
Never mind this message, did not read the thread to the end before posting :)