Author Topic: Thin dumb "FTZ"  (Read 4337 times)

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
Re: Thin dumb "FTZ"
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2021, 09:39:02 »
Here is my first version of a thin dumb FTZ adapter. Heavily inspired by Birnas solution, but using slightly different parts, I end up with a quite thin ring (slightly less than 15mm). The parts are:
- a reversing ring Nikon Z to 58mm
- a step-down ring 55mm to 52 mm
- a K3 ring

The step ring fits perfectly into the inner side of the reversing ring, where there is no thread. Thus it can be rotated to the desired position and fixed with epoxy glue.

When mounting the Z camera with this thin ring to the PB-6, the bellows must be turned to the vertical position. After mounting, it can be rotated to the horizontal position.

Very compact solution!
Erik Lund

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2021, 18:06:04 »
Here is my first version of a thin dumb FTZ adapter. Heavily inspired by Birnas solution, but using slightly different parts, I end up with a quite thin ring (slightly less than 15mm). The parts are:
- a reversing ring Nikon Z to 58mm
- a step-down ring 55mm to 52 mm
- a K3 ring

The step ring fits perfectly into the inner side of the reversing ring, where there is no thread. Thus it can be rotated to the desired position and fixed with epoxy glue.

When mounting the Z camera with this thin ring to the PB-6, the bellows must be turned to the vertical position. After mounting, it can be rotated to the horizontal position.

I am wondering about how a 55mm ring fits on a 58mm reversing ring. Is the 58mm miss named or am I missing something?

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2021, 18:27:18 »
I am wondering about how a 55mm ring fits on a 58mm reversing ring. Is the 58mm miss named or am I missing something?

Epoxy glue?

Kim Pilegaard

• "Nikea"
  • NG Supporter
  • Copenhagen
    • Profile at Nature Photographers in Denmark
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2021, 19:22:39 »

It fits the inner side of the ring where there is no thread; not the threaded (58 mm) outer side. This makes it possible to rotate freely into the correct position. Thereafter it has to be fixed with glue. If you look carefully at the uploaded photo, you can see the 58 mm thread of the reversing ring.
Kim

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2021, 20:09:31 »
It fits the inner side of the ring where there is no thread; not the threaded (58 mm) outer side. This makes it possible to rotate freely into the correct position. Thereafter it has to be fixed with glue. If you look carefully at the uploaded photo, you can see the 58 mm thread of the reversing ring.

Ah, that makes sense. Looks so clean that I didn't suspect that it was just glued together.
Going to see if I can get the parts to make one myself. I have a K3 on hand.