Author Topic: Thin dumb "FTZ"  (Read 4258 times)

Kim Pilegaard

• "Nikea"
  • NG Supporter
  • Copenhagen
    • Profile at Nature Photographers in Denmark
Thin dumb "FTZ"
« on: February 28, 2021, 13:57:18 »
Does a thin dumb F to Z converter ring exist? I would like to use such a one for attaching my Z7 to the PB-6 bellows. In this case it would be nice to avoid the extension of the Nikon FTZ and have a ring with a minimum extension.
Kim

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
Re: Thin dumb "FTZ"
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2021, 13:59:50 »
Kim i think this was discussed in the lord of the rings thread.

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2021, 14:04:29 »
I ordered one from K&F koncept, not arrived yet, but should be in house next week, will give feedback then.
I ordered it for use with my F bellows, the very first with my Z6.

Kim Pilegaard

• "Nikea"
  • NG Supporter
  • Copenhagen
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2021, 15:08:14 »
Thanks Fons, I will re-read the Lord of the rings thread.

Thanks Bent, looking forward to your experience.
Kim

Kim Pilegaard

• "Nikea"
  • NG Supporter
  • Copenhagen
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2021, 17:44:10 »
I have now read through the "Lord of the rings" thread. I noticed that a wish for a thin (~10mm) dump adapter was expressed and discussed, but it seems that no such one yet exists; or did I miss something?
Kim

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2021, 17:46:06 »
I got the K&F F-Z adapter a couple of weeks ago.
I works fine. A bit "tight" at the F-side. I think K&F is a step-up in quality compared to Pixco adapters.
The simple F-Z adapters is for manual Nikkors and at the picture for the Nikkor 200/3.5 which has contacts that is not compatible with modern Nikon bodies.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2021, 17:52:29 »
I have now read through the "Lord of the rings" thread. I noticed that a wish for a thin (~10mm) dump adapter was expressed and discussed, but it seems that no such one yet exists; or did I miss something?

The K&F has the correct distance so a F-mount lens can infinity focus on a Z-body (that is more than 10mm). It will apply the same distance as the Nikon F-Z adapter but the K&F is just a passive "extender".

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2021, 18:48:30 »
It all depends on what your are going to attach to the "non-Z" front of the adapter .... very short helicoids ending in native Z mount with front being say 42mm threads do exist.

Using a factory Z mount can solve many less common adaptations.  I can order these items from Nikon and already have deployed 5-6 such mounts to various DIY adapters. Amongst these are a "thin" F-Z adapter using the combination of K-3 front and Z mount rear. Which will provide about as thin an adapter as you can get for an "F" item. If the combo is not enough to provide space for the bellows to the camera, it can easily be extended by say a K-4 or even a thin filter ring with 52mm threads.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2021, 19:00:27 »
The Nikkor 200/3.5 which has contacts that is not compatible with modern Nikon bodies.
That is simply not true. 

I have used these lenses (more samples of it) on several different modern Nikon bodies, without any problem.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2021, 20:11:56 »
At least these lenses will not autofocus on a Z-body and I wanted to be sure not to destroy anyting and also prevent draining of battery which seem to happen on Nikon bodies after the F4?
But if a Z-body can recognize the lens via the Nikon F to Z adapter so I get the AF-points to turn green (like an old screwdriver AF lens) when focus is spot on I will be very happy and then use the Nikon F to Z with this lens.

Think also we need to define "compatibility" in this context?

But my main goal was to be sure not to harm the Z-body using this lens. On the 80/2.8 I have cut the wires to the chip.

That is simply not true. 

I have used these lenses (more samples of it) on several different modern Nikon bodies, without any problem.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2021, 21:06:00 »
AF is not possible of course  ;)   but the lens will not make any problems on modern digital Nikons. I have used 5 different samples of the 80/2.8 AF on my Nikon's  (DF 600, 800E, 850, D4s, D3s)  without any problems  This also applies for the 200/3.5 AF.

Perhaps the draining of battery was a problem with the 'film'camera's (F3)  but definitely not with the later digital camera's. By the way, on the Nikon F4 the lens will auto focus.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2021, 21:11:57 »
The F3AF lenses did short-circuit the battery of early Nikon D-type cameras. Nasty business.

I cannot remember there was any AF with the F3AF lenses on the F4? Can you verify this?

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2021, 21:31:16 »
I have read that the two lenses should auto focus on F4 but when I got my 80/2.8 I tried it on my F4s and I could not get it to auto focus. Then I said....ok....chip in lens may be bad and I just decided to cut the wires.
I have not tried the 200/3.5 on F4......it would require I put a lot of batteries in that "animal" :-)     .....it has not been used for 10 years or more.......

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2021, 21:37:30 »
.....but AF 200/3.5 works nicely with K&F passive adapter.
This image + 100% crop was shot at f3.5 at 2m (closest distance) handheld. 100% crop is from where image looked sharpest.
No doubt that the ED-elements reduces CA.....I did not see any....and lens is sharp.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2021, 21:43:11 »
The F3AF lenses did short-circuit the battery of early Nikon D-type cameras. Nasty business.

I cannot remember there was any AF with the F3AF lenses on the F4? Can you verify this?
I had a buyer of a F3AF 200mm/3.5 who had send a lens back because it didn't auto-focus.  The lens appeared to be malfunctioning and the AF system didn't work.  My sample did Auto-focus on his F4.

This is also verified on the Mir website in a reaction : "Hello! I just linked into your information website on Nikon cameras, specifically the F3AF page, and I noticed an error in the information you present!!! While it's true the two AF lenses were designed specifically for the F3AF, it is NOT true that they will work in autofocus mode exclusively on the F3AF. They also work just fine on the 2020 and the F4 in full autofocus mode. "

https://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/AFNikkor/F3AFlenses/index.htm

Also on other fora it is mentioned: "It was produced for Nikon F3AF, auto focus will also work on Nikon F4 and F501, otherwise it is a MF lens."
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/24334266

According to a user the F3AF lenses can also AutoFocus on the Nikon 2020
"Many people don't know (or don't believe) that these F3AF lenses will also
auto-focus on the N2020 camera. That's the only camera other than the
F3AF which can do that to my knowledge."

http://forum.mflenses.com/nikon-af-f3-80mm-and-200mm-lenses-t16892.html