Author Topic: Nikon Df discontinued  (Read 7643 times)

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Nikon Df discontinued
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2021, 15:49:29 »
I'm considering a Nikon D500 for it's 1.0x viewfinder hoping I'll be able to make better use of my AI and AIS Nikkors. I still own most as I feel it's unwise to sell a good tool. I wonder if it's time to give up manual focus as my eyes age.

Dave

I have a Df and a shelf of AI/AIS lenses. I also have aging eyes and a DK-17m fitted to the camera. However, for the past two years I’ve been using a Z6 with those same lenses. It took me many weeks to adapt to the Z6, but now I never go back to the Df. Z6 is quite cheap right now.

Kenneth Rich

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2021, 01:53:48 »
  " It took me many weeks to adapt to the Z6."  Jack Dahlgren, this is a statement  about the Z6 camera and its designers, not you, and it reflects by contrast the intuitive nature of the Df camera and its designers, or a combination of the intuitive learning nature of the Df and the age and photographic experience of Jack Dahlgren, an experienced film era photographer. As such, it explains why so many of us old film guys came instinctively  to love the Df and its  unforgettable qualities.

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2021, 15:02:06 »
D850 v. Df? How do those who use the D850 and Df feel about the Df having only 16MP? I know there are those who say the colors of the Df are special. I don't see this perhaps because of the deficiencies of my computers' displays.

I have a D800 and a Df, after having used a D700. Honestly, the lower pixel count does not bother me. That's probably because I'm not into big prints now.

Also, given the fact I'm often using no tripods and high ISO, D800 picture quality would be good after downsampling, in which case it is not better than the Df .
Airy Magnien

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2021, 23:03:41 »
  " It took me many weeks to adapt to the Z6."  Jack Dahlgren, this is a statement  about the Z6 camera and its designers, not you, and it reflects by contrast the intuitive nature of the Df camera and its designers, or a combination of the intuitive learning nature of the Df and the age and photographic experience of Jack Dahlgren, an experienced film era photographer. As such, it explains why so many of us old film guys came instinctively  to love the Df and its  unforgettable qualities.

Yes, the Df seemed instantly familiar. However, after a couple of years with the Z6, the Df seems like a foreign beast when I try to get a better look through the viewfinder by pressing a button. There are things not to like about mirrorless cameras, but now the Z6 is the only camera I use other than my phone.