Author Topic: AF-Fine tune seeing two lenses as the same on my Df  (Read 1829 times)

Kevin Beretta

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
AF-Fine tune seeing two lenses as the same on my Df
« on: May 22, 2021, 01:16:24 »
Greetings, firs time poster.
I have a Df on which I fine-tuned a Voigtlander 40mm f2.0 a while ago. I just got a Voigtlander 58mm f1.4 and the camera treats it like it's the 40mm. From what I infer from the options in the menus is that the camera determines what lens is on the body. How do I get around this?
Thanks,
Kevin

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
Re: AF-Fine tune seeing two lenses as the same on my Df
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2021, 01:34:21 »
Out of curiosity does EXIF data from photographs taken with these lenses show the correct focal length and maximum aperture?
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Kevin Beretta

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2021, 02:11:23 »
Out of curiosity does EXIF data from photographs taken with these lenses show the correct focal length and maximum aperture?
Yup

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2021, 05:33:56 »
Hi, Kevin, welcome to NG!  Hope you enjoy visiting here.

Are both 40 and 58mm lenses the more recent versions with CPUs (meaning: with the electric contacts in the mount)?  The CPU is necessary for the camera to recognize the focal length and the aperture of the attached lens automatically.

I'm afraid I don't know how much you are accustomed to the Nikon cameras.  Sorry if you already know well about the stuff mentioned above.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Kevin Beretta

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2021, 05:41:49 »
Hi, Kevin, welcome to NG!  Hope you enjoy visiting here.

Are both 40 and 58mm lenses the more recent versions with CPUs (meaning: with the electric contacts in the mount)?  The CPU is necessary for the camera to recognize the focal length and the aperture of the attached lens automatically.

I'm afraid I don't know how much you are accustomed to the Nikon cameras.  Sorry if you already know well about the stuff mentioned above.

Hi Akira, thanks for the welcome. Both lenses have contacts; they work flawlessly otherwise. I've been shooting Nikon for about 20 years if not more so quite familiar. But yeah .... no idea why the 58 is not recognized, or actually worse, why it is recognized as the 40 mm

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2021, 05:54:07 »
Hi Akira, thanks for the welcome. Both lenses have contacts; they work flawlessly otherwise. I've been shooting Nikon for about 20 years if not more so quite familiar. But yeah .... no idea why the 58 is not recognized, or actually worse, why it is recognized as the 40 mm

I see.  So, that is really strange...  I wonder if Cosina installed a CPU for 40mm into your 58mm, or even a whole batch of 58mm has wrong CPUs?

Are both lenses of the latest versions with the scalloped focusing rings?
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2021, 06:51:19 »
I suspect that Cosina is a fault. Are the lenses under warranty?
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Kevin Beretta

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2021, 07:38:09 »
I suspect that Cosina is a fault. Are the lenses under warranty?
I bought the 40 mm a year ago at B&H and the 58 mm yesterday from Craigslist; it was NOS in the box but 10 years old. Wedding gift (Canon shooter got a Nikon mount... my gain).
So that route is not going to solve anything...

Dogman

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2021, 14:45:19 »
These are not AF lenses.  No AF fine tuning is possible.  If they have CPU, you don't have to enter the lens in the non-CPU menu.

I'm not sure what is necessary.  Sounds like you have two great manual focus lenses.  Just enjoy them.
"If it's more than a hundred feet from the car, it's not photogenic."--Edward Weston

My Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/197057338@N03/

Kevin Beretta

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2021, 15:43:00 »
These are not AF lenses.  No AF fine tuning is possible.  If they have CPU, you don't have to enter the lens in the non-CPU menu.

I'm not sure what is necessary.  Sounds like you have two great manual focus lenses.  Just enjoy them.
Hi Dogman,

I use the AF-fine tune to move critical focus right at the point where the right arrow and the green dot flicker. I do this because the green focus dot stays lit during quite a bit of travel on the focus ring, 2-5 mm sometimes depending on the MF lens, and critical focus is lost even though the green dot stays lit. My setup uses Capture One and a rather large 65 inch 4K UHD TV. I shoot a tethered shot, aiming at the focus chart and measuring slope, then adjust to taste as I review the consecutive shots on the screen. I do this for all my lenses, manual or AF. Once setup, it works really well and I can do both cameras and roughly 10 lenses in a few hours. The AF fine-tune works really well to get the "slop" out of the green focus dot by just setting to the point where it flickers. I choose the right arrow for consistency (for the AF lenses). I do also find that as you stop down the manual lenses, both the Voigtlanders and the Zeiss lenses, you can then expect the critical focus to sit a bit more at the center position of the travel distance when the green dot stays lit.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2021, 16:20:11 »
I have the Voigtländer 40mm f/2 and 58mm f/1.4. Both are perfectly recognised by my various Df bodies, likewise my CV 90mm f/3.5 SL.2. Thus I don't see  the reason you should experience otherwise?

(I never do any "AF fine-tune" on any lens, though. K-3 screens are adequate means of getting the focus properly positioned)

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2021, 16:20:43 »
Hi Dogman,

I use the AF-fine tune to move critical focus right at the point where the right arrow and the green dot flicker. I do this because the green focus dot stays lit during quite a bit of travel on the focus ring, 2-5 mm sometimes depending on the MF lens, and critical focus is lost even though the green dot stays lit. My setup uses Capture One and a rather large 65 inch 4K UHD TV. I shoot a tethered shot, aiming at the focus chart and measuring slope, then adjust to taste as I review the consecutive shots on the screen. I do this for all my lenses, manual or AF. Once setup, it works really well and I can do both cameras and roughly 10 lenses in a few hours. The AF fine-tune works really well to get the "slop" out of the green focus dot by just setting to the point where it flickers. I choose the right arrow for consistency (for the AF lenses). I do also find that as you stop down the manual lenses, both the Voigtlanders and the Zeiss lenses, you can then expect the critical focus to sit a bit more at the center position of the travel distance when the green dot stays lit.

Do you do this with any MF lenses that lack a CPU?
Richard Hawking (not Richard Haw!), in Tokyo

Kevin Beretta

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2021, 16:30:23 »
Do you do this with any MF lenses that lack a CPU?
I can't answer that question as I don't know how non-CPU lenses interact with the camera. At the moment, I have the two Voigtlanders and one Zeiss Milvus, all of which have contacts on the barrel. I am assuming contacts = CPU but there may be differences there I am unaware of. I am not sure if the camera uses the green dot on non-CPU lenses.