Author Topic: Nikon Df discontinued  (Read 7636 times)

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
Re: Nikon Df discontinued
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2021, 23:53:47 »
... and very nice product combo too.
Airy Magnien

Kevin Beretta

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2021, 02:16:57 »
I bought a new one from a camera store in Toronto. Last one they had. I love it ... the D850 gets very little use these days. For some reason the Df just produces nicer pics. Don't know why ...

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
  • A teddy bear from the Alps, rarely fierce
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2021, 19:51:46 »
In the few short months I have owned my Df, I have come to love it and have bought two lenses especially for it... one is shown below.
I hope that this camera has a lot of life left in it.

Well, my "new" old chrome Df had a shutter count around 160000 when I bought it, and now it's up to 173254, so there's a good chance that your hopes will be rewarded.

My sample came with a leather half case, so the parts of the body that usually get worn out (bottom edge and camera base) are practically perfect. You might want to use one, it works!

Ciao from Massimo

Since evolution has given us TWO ears and ONE mouth, we are supposed (me included) to be doing more listening than talking.

Kevin Beretta

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2021, 04:05:21 »
Just spotted this on Craigslist in Vancouver. Seems like a screaming deal.

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/rch/pho/d/richmond-south-nikon-df-50mm-f18/7326176342.html

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2021, 13:26:24 »
Nice 'Panda'. I went for All Blacks myself, and dropped the fake 'retro' 50mm. Df is for manual lenses.

Kevin Beretta

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2021, 14:31:24 »
Nice 'Panda'. I went for All Blacks myself, and dropped the fake 'retro' 50mm. Df is for manual lenses.
Well ... don't discount those 50 mm lenses that come with it. They make for some surprisingly good photos and are very light.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2021, 15:27:34 »
The lens is OK, I'm not denying that. However, why put a lens on a Df without aperture collar and proper manual focus? I simply do not like using the "G-spot" in front of the Df to set apertures on a lens. Makes the handling awkward. Df is for the hard-core aperture ring enthusiast. Virtually all my manual lenses are CPU-enabled and all my Nikons are set to have aperture control by lens. For those G/E lenses without aperture ring, the camera would fall back to the camera dials so nothing is lost in that setup.

Besides, I hardly needed more 50mm lenses -- thus, the ones following with "kit" Dfs were sold off quickly. I just checked that they worked OK.

BruceSD

• Confirmed Bokeholic
  • NG Member
  • I'm here to learn from the best
    • The F/2 Guru
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2021, 18:08:09 »
I lament Nikon's financial woes.

However, my Df is as good a full frame camera as I will ever need.  It's no surprise to me that Nikon (and others) are not selling many new digital camera these days, because for many of us, digital cameras became "good enough" for our needs 5 - 10 years ago. 

Frankly, for my photography, there's nothing the mirrorless Z cameras can do that I need and can't be done with my Df and 810 bodies.

Kevin Beretta

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2021, 21:04:39 »
I lament Nikon's financial woes.

However, my Df is as good a full frame camera as I will ever need.  It's no surprise to me that Nikon (and others) are not selling many new digital camera these days, because for many of us, digital cameras became "good enough" for our needs 5 - 10 years ago. 

Frankly, for my photography, there's nothing the mirrorless Z cameras can do that I need and can't be done with my Df and 810 bodies.
Agreed. It's a bit like Windows XP Pro or Win 7 Pro. They could have stopped there and not done Win 8.1, Win 10 ... nothing there makes it better.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2021, 08:19:00 »
Agreed. It's a bit like Windows XP Pro or Win 7 Pro. They could have stopped there and not done Win 8.1, Win 10 ... nothing there makes it better.

Of all the Windows version I liked Windows 7 almost instantly and the best. Maybe Microsoft messed with Windows because of tablets and touch screens. Microsoft might have freshened the look a little and added some new technology without all needless reorganizing. Yes but I guess they had to accommodate the touch screens.

I've been using Open Shell to give Windows 10 more of the feel I like...

https://www.techspot.com/downloads/7103-open-shell.html
https://sourceforge.net/projects/open-shell.mirror/
https://www.softpedia.com/get/Desktop-Enhancements/Shell-Replacements/Open-Shell.shtml

I'm running out of time. I tried to find the home of Open Shell. Maybe tomorrow.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2021, 11:07:37 »
Openshell:

https://github.com/Open-Shell/Open-Shell-Menu

I'm using the earlier version Classic Shell, which still runs fine.

Lots of garbage included in win 10 which I could do without. I reverted my main work station to Win7 after experiencing too many issues with Win10. The laptops either run win10 or Linux.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2021, 12:06:22 »
Here is Classic Shell...

https://www.techspot.com/downloads/5566-classic-shell.html

Dave

Perhaps Classic and Open Shell deserve there own discussion?

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2021, 14:20:28 »

Indeed, the Df (and others from the same generation, such as D750) leaves the impression that some kind of maturity was reached, and that's bat news for marketing freaks.

I got my Df thoroughly cleaned today, a treatment well deserved after 7 years of common travel, commuting and leisure. The paint is worn off at the angles, never mind. I got my wrinkles too.

While at the shop, I had another look at the Z5. Same overall impression as before : the focussing aids might become useful some time from now, when my eyesight worsens. While I cherish my Df, I also cherish my auld MF lenses and the latter might last longer. My oldest one, a 20/3.5 UD, dates back to 1968 and works fine.

For the time being, I just feel grateful.
Airy Magnien

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2021, 22:14:41 »
I got my Df thoroughly cleaned today, a treatment well deserved after 7 years of common travel, commuting and leisure. The paint is worn off at the angles, never mind. I got my wrinkles too.

I like the look of a camera that is free of dings, dents and scratches but one that has surfaces polished smooth from use. I had a Nikon F2 that was in such condition excepting scratches around the tripod thread. There was brass showing through particularly behind the advance lever.

Dave

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2021, 22:35:25 »
D850 v. Df? How do those who use the D850 and Df feel about the Df having only 16MP? I know there are those who say the colors of the Df are special. I don't see this perhaps because of the deficiencies of my computers' displays.

Back in the '70s I sold a small Toyota pickup to finance a 135/5.6 Componon-S and 80-200/4.5 Nikkor zoom. I recently sold a Ford F150 pickup. I'm considering a Nikon D500 for it's 1.0x viewfinder hoping I'll be able to make better use of my AI and AIS Nikkors. I still own most as I feel it's unwise to sell a good tool. I wonder if it's time to give up manual focus as my eyes age. I wish I could try a Df but there are no brick and mortar camera stores here in Diddy Wah Diddy which as you may know, Ain't no town and it ain't no city. I used to have open accounts at two camera stores in the suburbs of Los Angeles.

For those who own both a D850 and Df is there a time and place for each?

Dave