Author Topic: Saying goodbye to Df...  (Read 7484 times)

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
Re: Saying goodbye to Df...
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2020, 09:46:36 »
I have not priced a second hand Df, but there should be some good ones on te second hand market with all of these tradeins.  ;D

Back in February before the COVID lock downs there were a couple of new Pandsa versions in a reputable camera shop in Melbourne.
Hugh Gunn

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2020, 18:19:31 »
I have not priced a second hand Df, but there should be some good ones on te second hand market with all of these tradeins.  ;D

Back in February before the COVID lock downs there were a couple of new Pandsa versions in a reputable camera shop in Melbourne.

Used models seem to be going for somewhere around USD $1000-1250.

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2020, 00:06:26 »
Currently i am not considering of getting rid of my Df. The Z6 is a fine add-on to my SLRs but not a replacement. This includes the Df which is very suitable for workling with (small) MF lenses. It has a few little downsides though:

The front wheel has been placed suboptimal (sacrificed to design reasons - there was a Df2 design study that had changed that but we probably wont ever see a Df2) and it is too hard. As a result Iam hurting my finger (even when not using the wheel ) just from carrying the camera especially with a tele lens.

When using MF (or AF-lenses with aperture ring) i am operating the aperture ring. Sometimes i am mixing in some G or E lenses so for the mods I am using (A and sometimes M) i have to use the wheel but the aperture settings cant be changed to full-stop increments- i am considering this a nuissance (it is the same with the Z6 which only allows to switch between 1/3 or 1/2 stops).

BTW.: What I am regretting somewhat is my impatience to take the chrome version that was available after having ordered a black one and waited for weeks for delivery without any perspective when and whether at all it will show up. Finally It came to my dealer a week after I have finally decided not to wait any longer and take the Chrome Df
Wolfgang Rehm

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2020, 01:01:04 »
I almost never use the front wheel, it sucks.

My biggest issue is with the exposure compensation, which I use very often, and that cannot be changed with one finger (lock button is a nuisance).

Otherwise, a fine camera... and yes, I prefer black.
Airy Magnien

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2020, 21:36:24 »
Used models seem to be going for somewhere around USD $1000-1250.
Sold mine for Euro 1.400  a year ago.

Imagelover

• Teacher to minority speaking people in Norway
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2020, 21:40:15 »
At the moment I'm not yet into mirrorless. I have many of the old manual focus Nikkors, both non-AI, AI and AIS. To me the Df is the camera to those lenses. I have no intention to leave the Df behind, and really love to use it often. But for many of the AI and AIS lenses I want to try to use the D810 more (together with the D3, D3X and D7100). The picture is taken with the Df and an Ai Nikkor 55mm f/1.2 (aperture 8) some days ago last week.
One picture taken is far better than none!

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2020, 17:11:53 »
At the moment I'm not yet into mirrorless. I have many of the old manual focus Nikkors, both non-AI, AI and AIS. To me the Df is the camera to those lenses. I have no intention to leave the Df behind, and really love to use it often. But for many of the AI and AIS lenses I want to try to use the D810 more (together with the D3, D3X and D7100). The picture is taken with the Df and an Ai Nikkor 55mm f/1.2 (aperture 8) some days ago last week.

I too have mostly old manual focus Nikkors, but find the Z6 to work with them even better than the Df at least for ease of focusing and for adding stabilization. I encourage you to give it a try sometime.

Luc

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Flickr
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2020, 18:18:25 »
Beautifully bright and colourful image.

Imagelover

• Teacher to minority speaking people in Norway
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2020, 21:38:42 »
Thanks, Luc!
One picture taken is far better than none!

Steven Paulsen

• NG Supporter
  • Cumpulsive Tinkerer
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2020, 04:35:32 »
I should have already said this.

If Nikon sold a basic/FM, type DSLR that didn't have a focus motor, but included an Ai ring, I would have purchased it. I progressed through many black bubble bodies. (And still have and shoot a few.)

The Df is a really fun camera with a sack of old or new glass. Wish I could find a cheap spare.

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2020, 16:23:28 »
Adding mechanical readouts the AI-S features would indeed have been nice.

It would also have been an Improvement if the Kit lens came with an aperture ring
Wolfgang Rehm

Lorne

• NG Supporter
  • it started with a Nikkormat
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2020, 23:51:40 »

Since I got the Z6 I never feel the need to pick it up and it is feeling lonely on the shelf.

My Df did the same for my D200, but I'm not so sure that I'll feel as ruthless when I eventually replace my Df.
Frequently wrong, seldom in doubt

Lorne

• NG Supporter
  • it started with a Nikkormat
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2020, 23:52:52 »
I still have mine showing its plastics more and more :)

Think of it as patina. I hear that makes all sorts of antiques more valuable  ;)
Frequently wrong, seldom in doubt

Akshay

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2020, 06:00:02 »
For what it is worth, i did sell my Df in March this year to buy the Z6 and i instantly regretted it.

I miss the colour and image feel out of it especially with Ai glass and also find manual focus was easier with the green dot and arrows on my toddler. With the Z6 peaking is hit or miss and zoom in to focus is not as quick as it seems. I prefer using auto focus lenses on it. I also feel i need to constantly edit my images compares to the Df which usually got skin tones spot on or with minor changes to wb.

Anyway i m now looking for a well kept Df to buy and use alongside my Z6.

Hope this helps anyone sitting on the fence.

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2020, 08:18:27 »
Would fine-tuning of the color profile help ?
With the Df, it is true that I never felt like changing the balance, opposite to the D800 for instance.
Airy Magnien