Author Topic: Saying goodbye to Df...  (Read 7492 times)

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Saying goodbye to Df...
« on: July 16, 2020, 00:21:21 »
Or at least considering it.
Since I got the Z6 I never feel the need to pick it up and it is feeling lonely on the shelf.
Usually I just keep everything forever, but it has some value now (~$1000) and maybe won't be as valuable in the future.

Anyone moved on from the Df and regretted it? Anyone who was happy they did?

I'd like to get it in the hands of someone who will use and appreciate it.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Re: Saying goodbye to Df...
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2020, 01:03:06 »
When I want to enjoy my photogrphy, I take the Df and a couple of manual lenses and leave the Z bodies at home. I can talk to that camera and it understands me.

Kenneth Rich

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2020, 06:39:16 »
My photography life has spanned seventy years and many cameras, but my Df is and will remain the most exciting camera of them all.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2020, 07:10:38 »
I sold my Df, and never looked back

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2020, 08:44:05 »
I still have mine showing its plastics more and more :)

Luc

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Flickr
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2020, 10:12:36 »
I couldn't get used to the handling of the Df so I sold mine. What I miss is the very nice rendering of the sensor of the Df. I now use a Z6 which suits me better, especially with longer lenses and manual focus.

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2020, 10:13:11 »
I think that it's good to get rid of stuff you don't appreciate, regardless of its value.
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2020, 13:18:55 »
I may switch to the Z6 (or 7) when following necessary conditions are both fulfilled:
1 eyesight goes down
2 bank account goes up

Meanwhile, I'm as happy as ever with the Df. May it last forever. I'd buy yours as a backup, but condition 2 still applies.

Background info:
- I mostly use MF lenses, old or recent, size and weight being the main reason behind this choice;
- I am not allergic to electronic viewfinders.
Airy Magnien

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2020, 16:37:07 »
I may switch to the Z6 (or 7) when following necessary conditions are both fulfilled:
1 eyesight goes down
2 bank account goes up

Meanwhile, I'm as happy as ever with the Df. May it last forever. I'd buy yours as a backup, but condition 2 still applies.

For me condition #1 was a big factor.
I put the DK-17M magnifier on the Df which helped, but focusing is so much easier with the advantages that EVF provides. Viewfinder magnification is so useful, but occasionally I use focus peaking as well.

Hope condition #2 comes true for you!

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2020, 16:49:33 »
I think that it's good to get rid of stuff you don't appreciate, regardless of its value.

I totally agree. The funny thing is that I am considering to add a Df because of its unique output with the right lenses.
Peter

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2020, 17:54:02 »
I guess I'm in the same boat as Airy  ;)
I'm still loving my Df as a "no brainer" camera ! I guess that if I do progress in photography I might "need" a Z one day, but for now it fulfills  all I need from it.
When I do the semestrial shots for my school of architecture (about 1500 shots per event) of various events, expositions, jury results, famed visitors for conferences, it goes easily on one battery (though I have one more, just in case). All that in not so good light and mixed lighting...
Most of those pictures are either for the web site or for prints (school schedules, leaflets, year books, etc.). While I'm not shooting by the hip, I need to be quick to capture a position, an emotion. The Df's simplicity allows it, and the files are great !

It's small enough, and surprisingly my best shots are with MF AI-s lenses, even though I now wear glasses for reading or computer work. For practical purposes, I often use the G lenses or zoom (as the 24-120mm f/4). I recently bought, second hand, the 60mm Micro AFS-G, and it's becoming one of my favorite (between 50mm and 85mm).

So I'm not parting with the Df... Yet  ;D
“A photograph is a moral decision taken in one eighth of a second. ” ― Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet.

Steven Paulsen

• NG Supporter
  • Cumpulsive Tinkerer
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2020, 20:24:48 »
In the older days, I've owned a 6006, 8008, N90s film cameras. All 3 were regrettable purchases and I fell more in love with my old Nikkormat and mf lenses.

The Df is a mixed bag of features  and issues, not all are good. The however is I doubt there will be a V2 and  I enjoy the method more than the results.

My only real complaint, the "Digital F," is not on par with the old manual focus bodies, build wise. (I am older and the Df helped create a spark, allowing myself to joke that I am 30 years younger.)

All Tog's are fickle. Follow your heart and enjoy.
 :)

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2020, 13:52:50 »
I've always been very happy with my Df, but never used it after I got my Z6. So I sold it a few months later.
Chris Dees

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2020, 16:29:20 »
its hard to replace the Df. such a practical camera  :o :o :o

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2020, 19:23:41 »
If anything, my acquisition of the entire line of Z models has demonstrated that the Df still is my most enjoyable camera. I'll stick to it for the remaining cmaera life it holds.