Author Topic: Lenses for a macro bellows setup with focal length of 135-150mm  (Read 12612 times)

the solitaire

• NG Member
Re: Lenses for a macro bellows setup with focal length of 135-150mm
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2020, 13:53:46 »
I ended up buying a PB-4.
Buddy

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2020, 14:40:01 »
It is a nice, but large bellow, I enjoy it. I have the 105mm bellow to go with it.
Using a Z6 you don’t even need the 90 degree rotation.

the solitaire

• NG Member
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2020, 15:27:03 »
Bent, at the moment I can still not see myself switch to mirrorless. I tried liking a few of the mirrorless cameras offered, but it just did not work.

I wouldn't mind the 90 degree rotation to mount the lens, because I never expect to swap to this setup very spontaniously. Most of my spider photography and the product photography I want to try next is very scheduled and planned. Setting up the lights takes a fair amount of time, and with that, a little extra effort to mount the bellows will not be a real downside. I am just glad if I find out that the bellows does mount directly to the D800 with this trick.

Either way, the advise I got from you and others, and the sample images did a lot to help me find an entry in this field of photography, and now I can hardly wait to get started, and already have various ideas on how to take this a step further.

But first, I expect a bit of a learning curve.

I did use a Cambo large format camera in the past and loved the experience, so I guess that the first barriers I will walk into will not be related to the multitude of adjustments possible, but rather to limited image circles of the lenses I own at the moment
Buddy

the solitaire

• NG Member
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2020, 22:13:27 »
In the middle of all the Covid19 madness, most likely the only occurence I will still be able to remember some 5 years from today, is that my new lens showed up in the mail

BFK_6856 by Plan B Photography, on Flickr

One of the main reasons to try out this lens is the diaphragm shape. With 15 blades, it remains pretty much round when stopping down. I hope that gives me a benefit when shooting one or two stops from wide open.

BFK_6860 by Plan B Photography, on Flickr

The lens looks better then expected, but certainly not clean or excellent or mint. This lens was used and loved

BFK_6857 by Plan B Photography, on Flickr

So that brings my current set of lenses to 9

BFK_6854-Edit by Plan B Photography, on Flickr

All shots taken with the 55mm f3,5 Ai micro Nikkor. Lens #10. I need a camera with a larger non-CPU lens registry ;)
Buddy

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2020, 22:31:40 »
Now that's a nice collection of Nikkors if I ever saw one. And the collection is countable :)

A pity I shut down my lens chipping project 1-2 years ago. I own all the lenses shown on the photo and every one, with a notable exception of the 55/1.2, are CPU-enabled. I do have the 50/1.2 with CPU, though, thanks to Erik's master mind and clever workmanship.

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2020, 04:28:55 »
In the middle of all the Covid19 madness, most likely the only occurence I will still be able to remember some 5 years from today, is that my new lens showed up in the mail

The lens looks better then expected, but certainly not clean or excellent or mint. This lens was used and loved

All shots taken with the 55mm f3,5 Ai micro Nikkor. Lens #10. I need a camera with a larger non-CPU lens registry ;)

Z cameras have 20 spots, and add in body stabilization. I love the way the viewfinder can magnify for fine focus. It makes old eyes new again.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2020, 10:00:06 »
Well Birna, I would be most happy to buy more CPUs from you if you should change your mind and restart the project.   :)

A pity I shut down my lens chipping project 1-2 years ago. I own all the lenses shown on the photo and every one, with a notable exception of the 55/1.2, are CPU-enabled. I do have the 50/1.2 with CPU, though, thanks to Erik's master mind and clever workmanship.
Hugh Gunn

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2020, 17:48:43 »
Well Birna, I would be most happy to buy more CPUs from you if you should change your mind and restart the project.   :)

Same here.

the solitaire

• NG Member
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2020, 19:35:28 »
Now that's a nice collection of Nikkors if I ever saw one. And the collection is countable :)

Thank you Birna. This collection might not contain many lenses, but the choice for each and every lens in there was made after much consideration and often after trying 5 or 6 different lenses of the same focal length. In the end, that condensed to a set of lenses in which each lens has a special place in my heart, and I know when I want to use each lens.

Often I also know quite exactly what I'm looking for in a new addition. Like the 13,5cm f4, I was looking for abilities none of my other lenses offered. I'm very glad you guys pointed me toward that lens, because first test shots show that it does exactly what I was hoping it would do.

Another lens I would love to add some day is the 85mm f1,8 Nikkor-H for it's wild rendering of OoF backgrounds.
Buddy

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2020, 22:28:42 »
Regarding small portable Nikon bellows I have a Model III which is quite nice……

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2020, 00:12:54 »
Apparently a Bellows-Nikkor 105/4 managed to sneak into your line-up as well? Assumed as it stands out quite clearly on the photo of your PB-6 bellows. Or at least I believe it's the PB-6. I only ever looked at the PB-4 which I have had since late '60s. Amazingly it still works as new.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2020, 08:09:30 »
The Nikon bellows model III is much smaller than PB-6 (both are single rails).
The image attached shows the size difference. There is at least one model III at ebay at the moment for about $75. Else I think it may not be very common. It is an old vintage bellows.
It is very nice and portable...…..
I also have a PB-4. It was so nice in built quality that I just must have one. It has the tilt and swing option which I thought I could play with……but never used it so far.....
The 105/4 bellows lens......it has been on the shelf for many years…..and I don't remember I have used it......but heard it should be quite good….
As I remember there is an old and new version......and think my is the "new" version. 

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2020, 10:59:59 »
I can add that to be able to mount a DSLR on Model 3 bellows an extension ring is needed as rear mount of bellows can't rotate so handle-grip of DSLR is a bit in the way. For my D5200 a 8mm PK-11a was sufficient.
I think the model 3 is the smallest bellows Nikon has made and nice to carry in the field I think…...but must admit I have not used it much. But think I will in the future......

the solitaire

• NG Member
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2020, 19:41:16 »
Some first results using the new-to-me 13,5cm f4 bellows Nikkor. This lens is amazing! And I only just scratched the surface of what is possible here!

//Arac attack advance warning!\

First, a few 100% pixel peeps

100% view 1 by Plan B Photography, on Flickr

100% view 2 by Plan B Photography, on Flickr

Now for the full photo these crops were taken from

BFK_6963-Edit by Plan B Photography, on Flickr

And two more 100% crops

100% view 3 by Plan B Photography, on Flickr

100% view 4 by Plan B Photography, on Flickr

And the full photo

BFK_6958-Edit by Plan B Photography, on Flickr

All with the 13,5cm f4 bellows Nikkor, the rangefinder to F adapter, PN-11 and one PK-13

DSC_5319 by Plan B Photography, on Flickr

Really looking forward to get hold of that PB-4 bellows unit
Buddy

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2020, 14:02:46 »
Now I also have a Nikkor 135/4 bellows in transit to me.
It was sold as a Nikkor-O and not a Nikkor-Q    …..I tried to convince the dealer that it must be a Nikkor-Q and serial no. is also well inside Roland Vink's database serial no. range for this lens. It is the long mount version with the 43 to 52mm filter step up ring.
The dealer sent a close photo on lens face...….and based on this information it looks like a Nikkor-O but I guess something when wrong during engraving. I will have a closer look when lens arrives. What do you think?