Author Topic: Nikkor 24mm f/2 Ai-S!!!  (Read 5719 times)

Michael Hopferwieser

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Nikkor 24mm f/2 Ai-S!!!
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2023, 21:17:37 »
I think I have a perfect sample of the 24/2. A couple of test images was made in this thread  in post #12 or so.....but it is on DX body so it may show better quality than on a FX body.

Do you use it on DSLR or Z-body?
If used on Z-body and you use "hyperfocal" then you trust that the adapter is 100% the correct length. I could suspect that adapters are a fraction on the short side to ensure infinity focus. It can be tested if you can focus past infinity or how much you can focus past infinity. I think those wide angle Nikkor lenses were adjusted (from factory) to exact infinity focus at the "infinity stop"?     ....so if this wide angle lens can focus past infinity the adapter is probably a bit short.....

I am using it with Df! Mirrorless is for me a decision, that has many consequences, and I have to weigh up the advantages and disadvantages.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2023, 12:30:30 »
For fast sharp lenses stay away from hyperfocal distance guessing on Df.
It's as others hint and mention; Focus on the part of the image you want to have sharp and stop down adequately to achieve some extra depth of field in front of that and behind that distance.

Some lenses are better at masking the transition between sharp and unsharp, these can help masking the perceived overall sharpness.

Peak sharpness, if you want to test if you have a good sample, should be around f/5.6 I would say for the lens in question, already at f/11 you will see less sharpness due to aperture blade induced diffraction.

At full aperture, f/2 only the very center will be quite sharp, far corners will be softer.

Erik Lund

Michael Hopferwieser

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2023, 20:14:39 »
For fast sharp lenses stay away from hyperfocal distance guessing on Df.
It's as others hint and mention; Focus on the part of the image you want to have sharp and stop down adequately to achieve some extra depth of field in front of that and behind that distance.

Some lenses are better at masking the transition between sharp and unsharp, these can help masking the perceived overall sharpness.

Peak sharpness, if you want to test if you have a good sample, should be around f/5.6 I would say for the lens in question, already at f/11 you will see less sharpness due to aperture blade induced diffraction.

At full aperture, f/2 only the very center will be quite sharp, far corners will be softer.

Dear Erik, thanks a lot for that interesting discussion and hint.
I will stay away from hyperfocal with my fast lenses using it in suggested way.

Bad old habit. ;-) In my juvenile backpacking tours I used a Nikkor-Zoom 3,5 - 4,5 for landscapes at f16 with tripod and 35 mm film. Always wondering why my Nikkor 50 mm 1.8 longnose had been sharper handheld.

Greeting from Austria, Michael

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2023, 23:11:17 »
In common with the legendary Nikkor 105mm f/2.5, the Nikkor 24mm f/2 is a perfect match to the Nikon Df. Provided the 24 is one of the decent samples, of course.

Architecture at f/5.6.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2023, 09:23:14 »
The fast 242 comes into its stride for more intimate scenes under low light conditions. The f/2 setting allows for decent shutter speeds, and one has to use the depth of field, or lack thereof, to its best advantage.

My intrepid old friend, suffering badly from Parkinson's, now developed additional symptoms and recently wound up in a hospital bed. However, he was pleased when I described my experiences with the Z8!! Thumbs up, now that's a good guy.

Dogman

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2023, 15:06:04 »
Wonderful photo, Birna!
"If it's more than a hundred feet from the car, it's not photogenic."--Edward Weston

My Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/197057338@N03/

Michael Hopferwieser

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2023, 19:02:17 »
In common with the legendary Nikkor 105mm f/2.5, the Nikkor 24mm f/2 is a perfect match to the Nikon Df. Provided the 24 is one of the decent samples, of course.

Architecture at f/5.6.

Dear Birna,

you did this photo with Df?

Cheers Michael

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2023, 22:53:06 »
Yes.

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2023, 01:17:23 »
Sorry to hear about his condition. That thumb up is priceless

Michael Hopferwieser

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2023, 20:10:47 »
Yes.
Focus on first lamp?
Any postprocessing?
Convincing result!

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2023, 23:43:48 »
Run through Photo Ninja, which happens to be synergetic with Df as well :)

With immense contrasts such as seen in this scene, I generally pull the highlights a little back to prevent them from being blown out. Concurrently, shadows might need a little tweak to bring forth detail better. All in all very straightforward post-processing in my book.

Michael Hopferwieser

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2023, 19:54:52 »
Run through Photo Ninja, which happens to be synergetic with Df as well :)

With immense contrasts such as seen in this scene, I generally pull the highlights a little back to prevent them from being blown out. Concurrently, shadows might need a little tweak to bring forth detail better. All in all very straightforward post-processing in my book.

The result is very convincing.
I will put off Z8 and S-lenses decision for a while.
Thanks a lot Birna.