Author Topic: Nikon D6 formally announced by Nikon  (Read 43291 times)

chambeshi

Re: Nikon D6 formally announced by Nikon
« Reply #165 on: August 16, 2020, 15:09:48 »
This answer from Nikon caught my eye  ;) ;)

How did you manage to integrate Eye AF into the optical viewfinder of the Nikon D6?
Nikon Corp: A new algorithm for the EXPEED 6 image processing processor and high-resolution images made possible by the 180K pixel RGB sensor have developed eye detection technology that also works with the camera view in the viewfinder.

https://phototrend.fr/2020/05/interview-nikon-roadmap-z-japon-2020/

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #166 on: August 16, 2020, 19:54:46 »
It would be nice to test the D6 ingluding its eye-AF. I am on the waiting list since beginning of the year but so far Nikon was not able to deliver.

Appears to be a bit like with the D850 release  when the demand was higher than Nikons output  for a long period of time (until the Z7 came out and then the prices dropped)
Wolfgang Rehm

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #167 on: August 17, 2020, 10:59:41 »
It would be nice to test the D6 ingluding its eye-AF.

There is no mention of eye detection in the D6 manual, at least not one that I could find with the search function.

I am on the waiting list since beginning of the year but so far Nikon was not able to deliver.

Appears to be a bit like with the D850 release  when the demand was higher than Nikons output  for a long period of time (until the Z7 came out and then the prices dropped)

I'm sure that the sales are not as good as the D850, but the D6 could be affected by manufacturing delays due to the pandemic.

I'm a bit surprised that you'd have to wait so long, when I contacted a local store they said it would take weeks, not months to get one, if I place an order.

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #168 on: August 17, 2020, 20:38:39 »
There is no mention of eye detection in the D6 manual, at least not one that I could find with the search function.
You are probably right, maybe i was confused by the intervie statement above?

I'm sure that the sales are not as good as the D850, but the D6 could be affected by manufacturing delays due to the pandemic.

I'm a bit surprised that you'd have to wait so long, when I contacted a local store they said it would take weeks, not months to get one, if I place an order.

I do not expect the D6 to sell in numbers like the D850, but this Camera was planned and scheduled for the (now postponed) Olympics, there should have been some substancial production runs. Maybe it is affected by the pandemic but I dont see the reason why the D6 should be special in this respect. BTW the 70-200 f/2,8 Z lens is actually also not available
I said to my dealer "please put me on your waiting list for the D6 "  in January or February and there is still no movement, today I heard that it is expected to be delivered in September, we will see.

Wolfgang Rehm

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #169 on: August 18, 2020, 00:05:49 »

The D6 brochure also mentions eye-tracking, I am just curious why they do not describe it in the manual. Maybe it is just integrated into 3D tracking / auto-area when face-priority is on?

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #170 on: August 18, 2020, 18:55:58 »
I have mine since mid June 18, exactly two months, and about 6500 clicks on the counter. Eye-focus works when setting face priority. But before having the marketing name of EF, in most cases Face Priority put its focus already on the eyes even with the older models.

Eye focus with D6:

_D604310.jpg

I made 3 car racing reportages, of which the two last ones in in Belgium, Spa-Francorchamps, during the last fortnight:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmPSbgoG
European Endurance Championship

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmQ2bsnX
World Endurance Championship

Both reportages are a mix of Nikon D6, for the action pictures, and D850 for the more still ones. As already mentioned, the D6 is an outstanding machine, well worth his single digit « 6 » attribute.  ;)

PS: I was one of the only 15 accredited photographers, and yes, no public.  :-[

Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

chambeshi

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #172 on: August 21, 2020, 00:47:32 »
Thanks for the links.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #173 on: August 21, 2020, 11:55:09 »
https://blog.nikoneurope.com/en_gb/2020/08/nxnw-meets-sxsw-nikon-ambassador-david-yarrow-recreates-iconic-hitchcock-image/

Promoting a brand new camera using a lens (the main shot was made with the VR 200/2 II) that has recently been discontinued? I hope they make an updated FL version soon. :-)

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #174 on: September 01, 2020, 22:22:53 »
Last photo report in the south of France. Noteworthy are the night pictures:

_D608395.jpg

The album:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmQjC7xy
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #175 on: September 01, 2020, 23:23:38 »

Brilliant.

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #176 on: September 01, 2020, 23:58:50 »
i noticed that there are no big changes from the D3s up to the D6 apart from the LCD technology :o :o :o
all we get are incremental upgrades on ISO, megapixel and performance, some ergonomic changes here and there.

do you think that camera technology has stopped advancing in the past couple of years? ::)

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #177 on: September 02, 2020, 00:55:36 »
Promoting a brand new camera using a lens (the main shot was made with the VR 200/2 II) that has recently been discontinued? I hope they make an updated FL version soon. :-)
I like the whole set, Christian!
Carl

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #178 on: September 02, 2020, 05:35:46 »
I like the whole set, Christian!

Brilliant.

Thank you. Too kind  :)

i noticed that there are no big changes from the D3s up to the D6 apart from the LCD technology :o :o :o
all we get are incremental upgrades on ISO, megapixel and performance, some ergonomic changes here and there.

do you think that camera technology has stopped advancing in the past couple of years? ::)

I’m not sure that I get it re LCD technology.

Yes, I have the same feeling that the actual photo technology is somewhat stalling. But I have no idea what quantum leap technology could be in the pipeline.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #179 on: September 02, 2020, 09:04:53 »
Fantastic set of images. Great work! That night shot is outstanding