Author Topic: Nikon D6 formally announced by Nikon  (Read 43280 times)

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Nikon D6 formally announced by Nikon
« Reply #75 on: May 03, 2020, 22:00:49 »
I don’t see how Nikon could afford not to sell a finished camera and just postpone it possibly indefinitely. There is a large cost for making the tools for producing the camera and it should be sold as soon as it is ready to recover those costs while the technology is competitive. Canon and Sony already put theirs on the market.

I've worked for a long time in semiconductor industry and am always surprised to hear people believe that a product is being held back for one reason or another. New technology is like a banana, it has a short shelf life.

chambeshi

« Reply #76 on: May 05, 2020, 12:06:38 »
IF the Olympics go ahead in 2021, then based on past practice, Nikon will release the camera a few months before the commencement of the games. 

With the extra development time afforded by the delay of the games, maybe we will see the Nikon D6s instead?  ;)

Last month [21 April] Brad Hill posted Nikon Canada were planning to ship his ordered D6 soon - first week of May. He's already field-testing his 120-300 f2.8E, and will soon be testing the D6 outdoors. More than a few of us are most interesting to hear what he says abou the new focus-system  ;) ;)

http://www.naturalart.ca/voice/blog.html#500mm_wars_1

Wally

• X-Man breaking bad
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #77 on: May 13, 2020, 04:18:27 »
First reviews are appearing
https://nikonrumors.com/2020/05/12/first-nikon-d6-review.aspx/
(Original in Italian)
Another Austrian Terminator in California

chambeshi

« Reply #78 on: May 20, 2020, 08:05:22 »
The D6 Manuals are available to download. Many of us may never own a D6, but it's useful for deeper insights into its capabilities and functions - notably the new Autofocus system and also Customization features.

https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/products/545/D6.html

chambeshi

« Reply #79 on: May 27, 2020, 13:36:59 »
Brad Hill has begun testing his new D6

http://www.naturalart.ca/voice/blog.html#D6_EarlyImpressions

It will be weeks before we will read firm conclusions on the D6 by shooters with years of prior field experience shooting challenging action scenes. There are pertinent questions on the D6 vs D5, which Brad Hill is comparing side by side.

Shooting flying birds with a pre-configured D5 (or D850 etc) is one matter (ie correct settings), but he has swiftly recognized the advantages in being able to switch across full suites of camera settings instantly. In its own right, this ability of a customized D6 to capture unexpected moments with the improved "Recall Shooting Functions" should prove to be a huge game changer.

We will see more of the D6 AF with its entirely new sensor (with major update / expansion of algorithms etc). If Nikon persist in their tradition, they will be cloning this D6 AF engine into its future cameras, including MILCs.

And wrt possible future Nikkors (?):  "Now the wild speculation: Does it seem odd to anyone other than me that Nikon would add a unique viewfinder display for ONE lens that is uber-expensive and is owned by (in relative terms) only a handful of folks? Is it possible that Nikon is looking ahead and adding a display that will work with NEW ( = not yet in existence) super-telephoto primes or zooms that have built-in TC's? Interesting to ponder..."  Might this TC icon in the D6 screen suggest future Nikkors primes with built-in on/off teleconverters. So far there is the 180-400 f4E TC14

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #80 on: May 27, 2020, 16:20:46 »
We don’t know yet what the “better AF” will bring. As a D5 user, it’s AF is already the best one currently available. As a sport /action photographer, I demand a lot of the D5’s AF; but if Nikon provides an even better one, I had no much second thoughts to made up my decision.

Another point is communication: having WiFi, Bluetooth (and positioning) available is a big plus point in the era of social media asking for near real time availability of images.

So, for me, even for D5 users, the switch is entirely justified.

_D568647.jpg
WEC 2019 Bahrain (Federation Internationale Automobile - World Endurance Championship)
Nikon D5
Nikkor 70.0-200.0 mm f/2.8E FL
ƒ/2.8  145.0 mm 1/125s  ISO 400

that is a VERY FINE racing shot!
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #81 on: May 27, 2020, 20:21:59 »

Thx Frank  ;)
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #82 on: May 27, 2020, 21:51:02 »
+1

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #83 on: May 27, 2020, 22:10:01 »
The Brad Hill report sounds very promising
Just suffering from the reported reduced burst length ;-)

Two inconsistencies I found:
He is praising the "Recall Shooting function" (which sounds fine indeed) giving the example switching from macro work crawling on the ground and switching by one button to shoot the red-tailed hawk. He probably would have to switch lens too in this case.

He is reporting the ability to customize AF-ON function to the horizontal subselector  to do AF-ON and AF-Field selection without having to switch between AF-ON and multi selector as if that was new. Don't know about the D5 but I can do that with my D4S already. I just found the sub-selector way less comfortable for each function so did not get too familiar with that approach.

I would not see a TC index in the viewfinder as crucial if I owned the 180-400 (wouldbe nice to replace my 200-400/4  with that lens). This lens is indeed overpriced, but even more so is the new 120-300/2,8 (it hasnt got a TC btw and is the new pro lens that Nikon has paired with the D6 which is somewhat against the theory of being more TC lenses soon. Nikon made the 180-400 TC to be on par with Canon who has tried to beat Nikons (for long years standalone) famous 200-400.
(UPDATE: 180-400 is overprized in the same way but it suits more to my needs than the 120-300)

Hopefully the new AF-system will be cloned in the future as it was in the past. I would like to see a D500 successor with this System
Wolfgang Rehm

Danulon

• NG Supporter
« Reply #84 on: May 29, 2020, 19:58:14 »
Alas, no place for a DX D600 in the Nikon naming scheme...  ;)
Guenther Something

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #85 on: May 29, 2020, 21:22:25 »
Alas, no place for a DX D600 in the Nikon naming scheme...  ;)

Would have to be a D510, D550, D500 V.2 ....
The naming scheme isn't very sophisticated anyway

D6, D7, D8 .... D20 ...
there is enough room to move - questionable whether there will even be a D7
Wolfgang Rehm

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #86 on: May 30, 2020, 16:18:09 »
The Brad Hill report sounds very promising
Just suffering from the reported reduced burst length ;-)

I think the maximum burst depth is likely not a problem in any practical situation with these cameras.

Two inconsistencies I found:
He is praising the "Recall Shooting function" (which sounds fine indeed) giving the example switching from macro work crawling on the ground and switching by one button to shoot the red-tailed hawk. He probably would have to switch lens too in this case.

Well, lenses like 300/4 and 180-400 have pretty high maximum reproduction ratio so they could be used for close-ups and also for birds in flight. I think he is just trying to make a point that recall shooting functions allows easy change of exposure settings and other parameters. It's a blog post, not a book, and so the examples may not be always the most thought-out, rather just ideas that come to the writer's mind while writing.

He is reporting the ability to customize AF-ON function to the horizontal subselector  to do AF-ON and AF-Field selection without having to switch between AF-ON and multi selector as if that was new. Don't know about the D5 but I can do that with my D4S already.

This is also possible in the D5. Many people make small mistakes about technical details, this includes Nikon's own video interviews as well. E.g. in one interview the interviewee claimed that the user interface has been similar since F4. In reality the F4 has a very different interface, and he should have used the F5 as example. The internet lends itself to informal writing and comments where the facts may not always be exactly correct. That doesn't mean the general ideas aren't generally correct. When writing a more formal article, brochure or book, people write, read, comment, and rewrite the text until it is close to perfect. That's not the case in the world of youtube and blogging.

I would not see a TC index in the viewfinder as crucial if I owned the 180-400

I can understand why this would be useful. The lens can be used to reach certain focal lengths in two different ways (with and without TC), e.g. 300mm and 400mm settings may be set with the TC in play yet a higher-quality image can be obtained by taking the TC out of the optical path and zooming in to the required focal length. The TC indicator in the viewfinder reminds the user that they have the TC in, so that they are not shooting unintentionally at a suboptimal setting on the lens. I doubt there will be other lenses with built-in TCs, what would be the point? It makes the lens heavier and more expensive and yet doesn't give the optical quality of a native lens of long focal lengths, e.g. in Brad's own comparisons, it is clear the 500 PF is much sharper at 500mm, f/5.6 than the 180-400 with TC in play at 500mm focal length, yet costs and weights a fraction of the zoom. The 180-400 a specialty lens for situations where you must be able to make quick changes in focal length. I am very impressed with the 180-400's output; in Nikon Owner magazine there was an article on the lens by Moose Peterson and the quality of the images in print was really high. I am not trying to suggest the lens is not useful, but I still don't think it makes sense to add built-in TCs to other lenses. Frequent TC users may disagree, of course, perhaps they see something I don't. I can't really bring myself to like any TC images that I've made, the more time passes the more clear and disturbing the fuzzy veil on them becomes in my eyes. I still want the 180-400 but not because of the TC. I'd really like Nikon to make a version of the lens without the TC, at reduced cost and weight.

This lens is indeed overpriced, but even more so is the new 120-300/2,8

Well, I don't disagree with you, but this seems to be the direction things are going. 10k€ seems to be the new 5k€. I fear inflation may accelerate due to the economic effects of the coronavirus crisis.

Hopefully the new AF-system will be cloned in the future as it was in the past. I would like to see a D500 successor with this System

I am reasonably confident it will be seen in the D850's successor at the very least.

I would think there is going to be a D7 as there is nothing in the mirrorless segment on the professional telephoto side from Nikon and I suspect the transition to mirrorless in the sports photography and photojournalism segment will take the retiring of the current generation of photographers.

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #87 on: May 30, 2020, 21:39:31 »
I think the maximum burst depth is likely not a problem in any practical situation with these cameras.

I agree, a maximum burst length of 200 is not truly needed -  actually i made a joke marked with ;-)

Well, lenses like 300/4 and 180-400 have pretty high maximum reproduction ratio so they could be used for close-ups and also for birds in flight. I think he is just trying to make a point that recall shooting functions allows easy change of exposure settings and other parameters. It's a blog post, not a book, and so the examples may not be always the most thought-out, rather just ideas that come to the writer's mind while writing.

yes there are lenses where you can imagine to make macro work and bird shots without lens change, alsothe 80-400 AF-S comes to my mind. I just dont think that this is a very thought out l example - nevertheless i am looking forward to this extended recall shooting function - maybe a setting for Birds against the sky while doing other bird shot will make sense for me

This is also possible in the D5. Many people make small mistakes about technical details, this includes Nikon's own video interviews as well. E.g. in one interview the interviewee claimed that the user interface has been similar since F4. In reality the F4 has a very different interface, and he should have used the F5 as example. The internet lends itself to informal writing and comments where the facts may not always be exactly correct. That doesn't mean the general ideas aren't generally correct. When writing a more formal article, brochure or book, people write, read, comment, and rewrite the text until it is close to perfect. That's not the case in the world of youtube and blogging.

I was writing about the D4S because I own it but not the D5, but i am not surprised to hear about this continuity - BTW i have nothing against Brad Hill. And I know the interface switch between F4 and F5 because i have an F4 and refused to buy an F5 because of this.

I can understand why this would be useful. The lens can be used to reach certain focal lengths in two different ways (with and without TC), e.g. 300mm and 400mm settings may be set with the TC in play yet a higher-quality image can be obtained by taking the TC out of the optical path and zooming in to the required focal length. The TC indicator in the viewfinder reminds the user that they have the TC in, so that they are not shooting unintentionally at a suboptimal setting on the lens. I doubt there will be other lenses with built-in TCs, what would be the point? It makes the lens heavier and more expensive and yet doesn't give the optical quality of a native lens of long focal lengths, e.g. in Brad's own comparisons, it is clear the 500 PF is much sharper at 500mm, f/5.6 than the 180-400 with TC in play at 500mm focal length, yet costs and weights a fraction of the zoom. The 180-400 a specialty lens for situations where you must be able to make quick changes in focal length. I am very impressed with the 180-400's output; in Nikon Owner magazine there was an article on the lens by Moose Peterson and the quality of the images in print was really high. I am not trying to suggest the lens is not useful, but I still don't think it makes sense to add built-in TCs to other lenses. Frequent TC users may disagree, of course, perhaps they see something I don't. I can't really bring myself to like any TC images that I've made, the more time passes the more clear and disturbing the fuzzy veil on them becomes in my eyes. I still want the 180-400 but not because of the TC. I'd really like Nikon to make a version of the lens without the TC, at reduced cost and weight.

I also find the TC display useful - just said it is not crucial imho. I currently have the 200-400 f/4 VR and i bought it (although I had 300/2,8 and 500/4) to have the ability of quickly change setting , scenes with mixed waterbirds of different sizes (ducks and swans for instance) and some action. With 300/2,8 and TCs changes take time and there were lots of missed chances (and think of swimming hides where cou cant change lens at all), 200-400 gives you at least some zoom option. The range of 180-200 does not matter too much but with the new lens there are more options and I am seriously interested. I am also more reluctant to use teleconverters than I was in the past but i expierienced that it is different with dedicated Teleconverters. The 800 mm f/5,6 and the TC800 gave me good experiences. The built in TC in the 180-400 is dedicated as well so it should be better than TC14EIII but I dont know whether it is in the same league.

I am reasonably confident it will be seen in the D850's successor at the very least.

Depends on whether there is enough time to sell D6 bodies before, i hope that it will be included in the D880 like it happened with the D5, D500 and D850

I would think there is going to be a D7 as there is nothing in the mirrorless segment on the professional telephoto side from Nikon and I suspect the transition to mirrorless in the sports photography and photojournalism segment will take the retiring of the current generation of photographers.

I hope so - a Nikon Z9 that is beyond Sonys A9 and on par with D6 has yet to come BTW
Wolfgang Rehm

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #88 on: June 01, 2020, 11:20:50 »
Hereunder very interesting review. One can easily skip the first minute.

https://youtu.be/WlEsHIScxBU
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

chambeshi

« Reply #89 on: June 02, 2020, 10:29:48 »
Thanks - that recent NR update on D6 links included a video by this enthusiast demonstrating field shooting on birds, including Eye-recognition on a stationary owl. Scroll to about 2:30  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu62PsYDoCQ&feature=youtu.be

It's still too early for full reviews, notably by Brad Hill, who received his D6 last week. It will be interesting to learn about his comparisons against the D5, which he tested intensively (with the D500) back in 2016 - http://www.naturalart.ca/voice/blog_2016_all.html#D500_D5_Khutz1

see above - http://www.naturalart.ca/voice/blog.html#D6_EarlyImpressions

For what they are worth, DW has run off their sensor comparisons. Compared to the D5, the D6 improves the DR and noise control marginally, and over 1600-12800 [where it often tends to matter more shooting sport and wildlife]  https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/uk/reviews/nikon-d6-review

[EDIT} In case this was not reported here earlier, the only other notable information is the official Setting Guide (Sports AF Edition) added last month. More insights into the D6 AF
https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/products/545/D6.html