Author Topic: Tripod Thread  (Read 16563 times)

RobOK

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • My gallery
Tripod Thread
« on: July 27, 2015, 22:14:08 »
Hello friends...

I have an older Manfrotto tripod that is nice but pretty heavy... it's probably about 8 years old. Is there a sweet spot of light weight, still sturdy support and not-break-the-bank price? Obviously there is no perfect product, but my current one is probably 20 lbs. (seems to be like a current 055 model, although I don't remember if that was the exact one).  I am open to other brands.  I don't go on long hikes, but want something that I could take around for half a day or so.

I thought this thread could be a good place to discuss Tridpod's, whether for my needs or other people too!

Cheers,
Rob.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: Tripod Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 23:07:30 »
I get the tripod support required from the Sachtler range. They are light weight, sturdy, and extremely versatile. Not the cheapest choice, but then you need to factor in their longevity. I have Sachtlers that have served me for many decades and still continue to do their designated task.

Bjørn J

• NG Member
  • North of the Arctic Circle
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 23:20:21 »
I agree with Bjørn R about the Sachtler. My primary tripod is the DA75L, it weighs 1,9 kilos without head. It is incredibly sturdy considering the size and weight. For hiking some people may find it a bit too long when collapsed (it has only two sections, part of the reason it is so stable). But it is possible to cut it to shorten it a little. The larger Sachtlers may be a bit too large and heavy for hiking half a day.
I also have a few Gitzos, but I don't trust them. They tend to fall apart pretty soon.
Bjørn Jørgensen

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 23:28:27 »
There is another 3-sectioned version of the DA 75 that might be more transportable because of shorter overall length. Not checked stability though.

If you are a heavy tripod user, it is beneficial to have a selection of tripods optimised for different tasks.

Gitzos are very overrated. I don't like them.

Bjørn J

• NG Member
  • North of the Arctic Circle
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 23:33:22 »

If you are a heavy tripod user, it is beneficial to have a selection of tripods optimised for different tasks.

So true. The Sachtler is my outdoor tripod, I use the Gitzos only indoors. I have the largest one, I think it is approx. 270 cm extended. I need a stepladder to reach the camera :)
I also have a Manfrotto with very similar design as the Sachtlers. A good tripod, but it is slightly more prone to vibrations than the DA75L.
Bjørn Jørgensen

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 23:48:37 »
Well, I won't argue about the supremacy of Sachtler.  But if you are on a budget, looking at Sirui carbon tripods would make sense.  I played with some at large retailers here in Tokyo and thought they were made as good as Gitzo, Velbon or Slik equivalents but are much cheaper.  Personally I'm looking at their monopod.  My main tripod is Gitzo GT3530.  No, I don't abuse it as relentlessly as both Bjørn's.  :D
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

PedroS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 23:53:29 »
I'm a Cartoni believer...
And Gitzo series 3 for everything else (don't remember the number but it can reach 2,8m  ::))

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 01:18:40 »
I use a Gitzo GT3542LS and an Arca Z1 sp head most of the time. The combined weight is about 2.6kg.

I have a few other tripods as well which I use in special circumstances (e.g. when the tripod must fit cabin luggage, or must be tall enough to get to eye level when working in a slope). 

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 01:24:24 »
Priorities and features required change depending on what use the tripod sees. Using a Gitzo underwater is well-nigh impossible (I have tried). Most tripods are a nightmare in snow or mud. And so it goes.

As usual, testing provides the answers you require ... Most tripods can function "good enough" used indoors on a flat substrate, with very low weight attached to them, and mirror lock-up is engaged. Under real field conditions, they start to fall apart or prove to be not flexible enough.

RobOK

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • My gallery
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2015, 01:32:36 »
Well, I won't argue about the supremacy of Sachtler.  But if you are on a budget, looking at Sirui carbon tripods would make sense. 

Akira, are there certain models of Sirui you have looked at?  That's a new brand for me...

EDIT:  For reference, what i have now is:
Manfrotto  055xprob   tripod
Manfrotto  488RC2      ball head

I am mainly looking to reduce weight (so I actually USE it more!)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2015, 02:11:08 »
Akira, are there certain models of Sirui you have looked at?  That's a new brand for me...

EDIT:  For reference, what i have now is:
Manfrotto  055xprob   tripod
Manfrotto  488RC2      ball head

I am mainly looking to reduce weight (so I actually USE it more!)

Rob, how about the carbon fiber tripods with "2204" in their model names?  They are roughly Gitzo 3 series or Manfrotto 055 equivalents and weighs less than 2kg.  They are 4-section tripods and there seems to be no 3-section ones, though:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Brand_Sirui&ci=2636&N=4075788741+4167619192

The one I'm  personally looking at is a monopod P-326.  I checked out the real thing and thought it very well made.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2015, 02:17:13 »
Priorities and features required change depending on what use the tripod sees. Using a Gitzo underwater is well-nigh impossible (I have tried). Most tripods are a nightmare in snow or mud. And so it goes.

As usual, testing provides the answers you require ... Most tripods can function "good enough" used indoors on a flat substrate, with very low weight attached to them, and mirror lock-up is engaged. Under real field conditions, they start to fall apart or prove to be not flexible enough.

Bjørn R, I remember the torture test very well (you had to rename the thread due to that tragic incident in Oslo).  I wonder if the copy with the article still available.  I couldn't find one when (or if) it was published...

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2015, 02:44:10 »
Akira: I still  have the manuscript and illustrations but in Norwegian only.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2015, 02:48:48 »
Akira: I still  have the manuscript and illustrations but in Norwegian only.

I see, thank you.  Could you disclose which one the winner was?

RobOK

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • My gallery
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2015, 03:16:35 »

Rob, how about the carbon fiber tripods with "2204" in their model names?  They are roughly Gitzo 3 series or Manfrotto 055 equivalents and weighs less than 2kg.  They are 4-section tripods and there seems to be no 3-section ones, though:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Brand_Sirui&ci=2636&N=4075788741+4167619192

The one I'm  personally looking at is a monopod P-326.  I checked out the real thing and thought it very well made.

Yes, its interesting that you can use the center post of the 2204 model as a monopod. That could come in handy for me.  I think this one is on the short list for what I have in mind.