Author Topic: Tripod Thread  (Read 16474 times)

RobOK

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • My gallery
Re: Tripod Thread
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2015, 03:16:49 »

Rob, how about the carbon fiber tripods with "2204" in their model names?  They are roughly Gitzo 3 series or Manfrotto 055 equivalents and weighs less than 2kg.  They are 4-section tripods and there seems to be no 3-section ones, though:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Brand_Sirui&ci=2636&N=4075788741+4167619192

The one I'm  personally looking at is a monopod P-326.  I checked out the real thing and thought it very well made.

Yes, its interesting that you can use the one of the legs of the 2204 model as a monopod. That could come in handy for me.  I think this one is on the short list for what I have in mind.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2015, 03:28:32 »
Akira: none of the tripods I tested would suffice to serve me, not even the Gitzo. There are a lot of drawbacks and toppling over is a death sin that might well end the life of most of these tripods. Carbon fibre is a more fragile material than most people realise. However, given a judicious and careful use pattern, the Benro and Induro models would be acceptable, the Gitzo passable, and the Manfrotto and Redged not acceptable at all.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2015, 03:34:34 »
Rob: I note from the B+H pages that the Sachtler isn't listed as a tripod for photography. We see the same attitude over here as well. Even the maker consider them used for video and cine only. Hilarious as many nature photographers in my country use them. Sachtler has been the insider's tip for the last 30 years at least.

I commenced using Sachtlers in the '80s and never looked back. A few snaps from my younger days to underscore my point.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2015, 04:13:15 »
Akira: none of the tripods I tested would suffice to serve me, not even the Gitzo. There are a lot of drawbacks and toppling over is a death sin that might well end the life of most of these tripods. Carbon fibre is a more fragile material than most people realise. However, given a judicious and careful use pattern, the Benro and Induro models would be acceptable, the Gitzo passable, and the Manfrotto and Redged not acceptable at all.

Well, you know, I wouldn't be surprised if no tested tripods would have fullfiled your requirement.  But I was a little surprised to see the CF pipe cut across the diameter.  I knew that th CF pipe is vulnerable when squeezed, which is why I've never used any kind of attachments using clamps for my Gitzo.

By the way, would Sachtler have survived the same torture test?  I would think the need of spreader may be a hindrance when you have to work on the slippery ground or floor where the use of spikes isn't allowed.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

PedroS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2015, 10:44:01 »
 :P
I have to agree with Bjorn regarding water and Gitzo...
When such conditions are met I just use the Cartoni.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2015, 11:17:12 »
Akira: my Sachtlers have toppled over and fallen to the ground more times than I care to remember, and nothing untoward has ever happened to any of them. I think their multiple-tube design helps a lot in avoiding breakage.

In the 'torture' test, we simulated such toppling incidents and counted how many times the test could be repeated before vital parts broke. Even the better tripods in that test didn't reach 10 times and most were pretty shabby after just a fall or two.

For indoors use, you need the ground spreader or the special "red sox" attachment you so often see on TV. Never had any issue out in the wide open without these auxilaries though, not even on ice. I have these items, of course. Just in case.

Under water, a Sachtler is just fine. It's easy to adjust the leg length too. A pro tripod has to serve when you need it. Putting it into mud, snow, or water is nothing special.  Here is a snap of a female TV photographer I helped some years ago when NRK (Norwegian National Broadcasting) made a series from Norwegian RAMSAR sites. You will notice her Sachtler is submerged. Only the camera and part of the tripod head is above the water as the camera is not water-tight. She didn't hesitate a fraction of a second before setting up the tripod in this manner. That is food for thought.

Bjørn J

• NG Member
  • North of the Arctic Circle
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2015, 12:26:11 »
I have submerged my Sachtler in saltwater, mud, snow without problem, all the way up to the underside of the tripod head. Afterwards I just wash it in some fresh water, ususally I place it in a river or creek if avalable.
Two other advantages with the Sachtler is there is no lock or "stops" when spreading the legs, that makes it incredibly efficient in use. Two sharp steel spikes (angled differently) under each leg is also very helpful. Releasing or collapsing the leg does not require you to change the handgrip, it is done in one operation. The leg locks are far more reliable than the typical twist-locks.

This is the Sachtler "Spider" version :)

Bjørn Jørgensen

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2015, 12:32:59 »
Lightweight and sturdy for outdoor and indoor use but noncompact is the Linhof 3333. I have the black version
but there is a military olive version too. I use it with the Linhof 3D Neiger. List price for each of these is 450€
but it is possible to find a bargain on these online slightly used.

For light travel I still use the 190 Manfrotto since 1984. It does not extend a lot and is also not for big loads.

sachtler and berlebach I hear are good but I did not try these.

Talking sopport I love the IR release combined with MUP on newer  Nikon bodies. Screw in cable releases can be very
uncomfortable esp the press and screw in very small spaces offered with some Nikons. MC36....
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2015, 12:43:54 »
A Sachtler is the perfect wading stick when you cross a torrential ice-cold river too (photo: Bjørn J. He had a laugh, I had to endure +4C water). Once over  on the other side, just set it up and go on shooting as if nothing had happened ...

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2015, 12:48:52 »
A raft of Sachtlers set up and ready to capture the Venus Transit of 2004. Left to right ENG 2 CF, DA 100, DA 75.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2015, 13:02:31 »
When I travel by car, I usually bring the 'king on the hill', the Sachtler ENG 2 CF HD and its Video 20 Fluid Head. It even dwarfs the sibling, the ENG 2 CF, yet still only weighs 4 kg and will easily support my more than ample body weight :D - a given choice when I work with really long lenses, from 800 mm and upwards.

The ENG 2 CF is just a little above 2 kg and if I remove the head it'll still fit a standard suit case. Thus this is my normal 'to-go' travel tripod when weight isn't the utmost concern. The smaller DA 75 [BR Edition] is just 1.2 kg so the one to take on long international flights.

Having such tremendously versatile and flexible tripods makes chores such as setting up an improvised UV studio in the rear of the car a breeze. The pied Palestine scarf actually acts as a wind-breaker so is an important component in the set up ... (another insider's tip).

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2015, 13:56:51 »
I remember almost all these images of tortured Sachtlers but thank you for the reminder.

I've played with a Sachtler with its unique speed lock and was fascinated by its accuracy and smoothness of operation.  Yes, it is a professional tool.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2015, 14:10:42 »
Yes indeed a professional tool. Factor in their extended longevity and the price might not be bad at all. We're talking of gear that goes on for decade after decade of frequent use. Only maintenance required is hosing down dirt, salt deposits, or mud when required, plus the occasional tightening of the connectors and bolts. If they are frequently used in water, change to stainless steel bolts or oil the bolts regularly.

However, don't think for once they were "abused" or "tortured". A tripod has to serve its purpose as a reliable support platform. It simply should work and once set up not to worry about. Nothing more and nothing less.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2015, 14:25:57 »
I would say that a Series 5 Gitzo is indestructable. If you dont abuse it.

So obviusly your tets was with smaller flisy models.
Erik Lund

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2015, 14:31:56 »
Series 3 Gitzo. Can't remember the model number now without pulling out the manuscript, though.

I know you use Gitzo (ser.5) Erik, but probably don't use it in water? That or ice/snow is a normal application for me. Last time I owned a Gitzo was in '79 or thereabouts. It lasted 10 months before it was damaged beyond repair, so just threw it away and got my first Sachtler instead. They have been with me since and seen far heavier use.

Before the Gitzo there was a couple of Manfrotto tripods (055 and 190). They lasted shorter than the Gitzo, the 190 didn't survive a 3 month summer stint.