Author Topic: Tripod Thread  (Read 16475 times)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: Tripod Thread
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2015, 14:43:16 »
Bjørn, "torture" and "abuse" are purely rhetorical.  :D  But I would say that the description is not all that pointless.  :P

I realized the prices of Sachtler you are using are not all that different from those of Gitzo 3 or larger models.

Also I realize that Sachtler DA75L is an aluminum tripod.  Is this as sturdy and durable as other CF models you have been using?
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2015, 14:49:08 »
It is, but colder to operate in winter. Thus I prefer the CF models in the colder part of the year.

I think even the DA 75 now exists in a CF version. But I see no point in "upgrading" it after it has served me well for 30+ years. Besides, cutting down the tripod to make special versions is easier with the aluminium model.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2015, 15:04:56 »
I think this smallest one is the BR special.  I hope I'm allowed to use your image with the hope to be permitted after the fact.

The aluminum DA75 seems to be very affordable, but, yes, the aluminum tripod feels pretty cold even here in Tokyo.  You would laugh, though.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2015, 15:30:41 »
I'm just stating that I consider a Series 5 Gitzo indestructable unless you abuse it some how.

Gitzo now have a series for in water use, I have used mine in shallow waters also sea water, hard to avoid in Denmark, no problem.

And it is not related to how you used or 'tested' any smaller Gitzo series tripod... I can easily 'test' a Sachtler and it would never erect again...

I find a lot of twist in the smaller of the Sachtler designs, with the thin diameter sinle legs extended, quite obviusly not designed for big lens photography when fully extended.
Erik Lund

Bjørn J

• NG Member
  • North of the Arctic Circle
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2015, 15:33:25 »
I have Gitzo 5 and 3-series, and they would certainly not survive the use (not abuse) outdoor photography in the conditions a tripod is supposed to be used, for me at least.
They are fair-weather tripods for use on dry, firm ground  ;D
Bjørn Jørgensen

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2015, 15:50:05 »
I find a lot of twist in the smaller of the Sachtler designs, with the thin diameter sinle legs extended, quite obviusly not designed for big lens photography when fully extended.

I've also noticed that when I played with a Sachtler at a retailer, and mentioned that in Fotozone in the past.  The upper double-pipe section is so rigid that all the torsional power seemed to be concentrated on the lowest single-pipe section.  I though this is not good for video use especially when the camera is panned.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2015, 15:55:45 »
Yes a problem when panning or wind from the side.
Erik Lund

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2015, 16:03:00 »
Double-tube legs throughout is the better solution, but adds to weight and volume. The HD versions all are of this design.

Bjørn J

• NG Member
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2015, 16:15:45 »
One thing is discussing the tripod legs and their stability or rigidity, but just as important is the head. I rarely use over 200mm lenses on my DA75L, but there is a huge difference in stability if I use my RRS BH-55 or my Acratech Ultimate ballhead.
Bjørn Jørgensen

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2015, 16:32:27 »
Big fan of my Gitzo GT3540LS, lightweight at 1.7Kg and very compact folded at 55cm which makes it easy to travel with.

I've used it in both salt and fresh water, doing so requires regular maintenance though by taking the tripod apart and giving it a nice soak in the bathtub to get the salt and the grid out.

Sachtlers don't need this type of care due to their open construction, so if submersing your tripod is regular thing the Sachtlers are the way to go, for all other applications the Gitzo's are more than adequate and more practical IMHO :)

Please be aware that professionals like Bjørn & Bjørn whom use their gear everyday in the most challenging settings have different requirements than the occasional nice weather only amateur users.
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Bjørn J

• NG Member
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2015, 16:41:23 »

Please be aware that professionals like Bjørn & Bjørn whom use their gear everyday in the most challenging settings have different requirements than the occasional nice weather only amateur users.

As the other Bjørn said, it's all about using the proper tool for the job. The 6 steel spikes on my Sachtler will ruin the floor indoors (I do not have the spreader or the red socks), that's why I use the Gitzos on indoor jobs. They are very stable and rigid (especially the 5-series), but for outdoor use in harsh conditions... well, we have plenty of very harsh conditions here close to the Arctic, and the Sachtler can cope with them.
Bjørn Jørgensen

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2015, 16:53:22 »
Big fan of my Gitzo GT3540LS, lightweight at 1.7Kg and very compact folded at 55cm which makes it easy to travel with.

I've used it in both salt and fresh water, doing so requires regular maintenance though by taking the tripod apart and giving it a nice soak in the bathtub to get the salt and the grid out.

Sachtlers don't need this type of care due to their open construction, so if submersing your tripod is regular thing the Sachtlers are the way to go, for all other applications the Gitzo's are more than adequate and more practical IMHO :)

Yup, this is more "realistic" for us amateur photographers.  :)

I love my GT3530L with its hub replaced with Markins TH-300.

Bjørn J

• NG Member
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2015, 16:58:35 »
Not if you are on a budget. The Sachtler DA75 costs 360 USD at B&H, the Gitzo 3542LS costs 959 USD (both without head). The DA75 is a real bargain, it is a lot cheaper now than when I bought mine many years ago. For the price (or even a bit higher) you can not get better outdoor tripod legs, if you can live with the relatively long folded length. And the fact that aluminium gets very cold in the winter :)
Bjørn Jørgensen

Bjørn J

• NG Member
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2015, 17:34:21 »
Some photographers prefer wooden tripods, as a well-made one can be very stable, and comfortable in the cold. There is also something about the "feel" of wood. But they tend to be a little on the heavy side, and slightly clumsy in use.
This one here is a genuine Norwegian tripod made by Gundersen & Løken, probably in the early 50's. It weighs 6-7 kilos, but it can take whatever storm and blizzard you can throw at it :)

Bjørn Jørgensen

Lars Hansen

• NG Member
  • Zealand, Denmark
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2015, 18:14:37 »
I'm using a Feisol CT-3401 and so far I've been pretty happy with it - it seems well made, robust and sturdy but I cannot offer any comparison with other similar brands.
http://www.feisoleurope.com/feisol-classic-tripod-ct3401-rapid-p-26.html

Is is light weight and I deliberately chose it without (optional) center column for extra stability and less weight/size - I'm not tall and with a head mounted the max height is fine. In windy conditions its light weight can become a drawback - that's an expected trade off.   

I have a set of (optional) metal spikes for conditions like snow/ice and soft soil.

Until now it has survived both frost and moderate amounts of water but I assume it shares the same drawbacks as other CF tripods mentioned here.           

To me this tripod was a sweet spot as for price, size, weight etc. - I think that e.g. Feisol's Tournament tripods offers more accessories but I went for one in the cheaper Classic series.