Author Topic: Nikon DF  (Read 41736 times)

Akshay

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Nikon DF
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2019, 12:37:14 »
Hello,

No intention of highjacking the original poster's question here, i m currently in a dilemma. As a new Dad, i feel my manual focus skills plus lack of video will justify my move from my current Nikon DF to the Z6. I have handled the Z6 at the local dealer on multiple occasions and it does not feel as special as the DF. Especially miss the metal AF-On and AE lock buttons in the perfect spot on the DF.

Would the DF autofocus suffice using say a 50 f1.8 G and 85 1.8G with toddlers? Currently i exclusively use MF lenses with the DF. Maybe video duties would be relegated to my wife's iPhone XS.

Akshay

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2019, 12:49:47 »
Try the 50/1.8G. AF is not too slow. As toddlers move a lot and tend to run towards the photographer (like my rabbit does, by the way), I'd refrain from using longer FLs. Also, the 50 is cheap AND good, so you should not fear buyer's remorse. You may also consult Akira, who does nearly everything else with D750 + 50/1.8 G, and successfully at that.
Airy Magnien

Akshay

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2019, 15:43:56 »
Thanks Airy,

I guess i would need to go the the shop and test it out. Any views on the 85 f1.4D instead of 1.8G in terms of autofocus speed and accuracy with toddlers?

Thanks
Akshay

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2019, 15:54:37 »
No idea, I never had any of these. The only thing I know is, when I need *really* fast AF I'd use the 24-70/2.8 G, but that's a big, expensive item.
Airy Magnien

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2019, 16:11:40 »
Hi, Akshay, this is Akira mentioned by Airy.

I used to use AF-S 50/1.8G on both D610 and D750.  Df shares the same AF system with D600/610, and the AF system of D750 is noticeably better in terms of the size of AF area, low light performance, accuracy, speed and immunity to the IR emitted from the incandescent lights.

However, even the AF system of D750 may not be fast enough to chase toddlers when combined with AF-S 50/1.8G.  As Airy notes, the 24-70/2.8 zoom should focus faster.  AF-S Micro 60/2.8 can focus quite fast.

Although AF-S 50/1.8G is not the fastest lens to focus, it is an excellent all-rounder.  It is sharp enough wide open, its bokeh is pleasing, it is very hard to induce flare or ghost.  You will not regret having purchased one.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Akshay

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2019, 16:29:30 »
Thanks Airy for your suggestions and linking me with Akira.

Akira, seems like i will need to head down to the shop and test these. Lucky to have a Nikon 'experience ' centre nearby.
I will make sure i try out the micro lens well. The f2.8 zoom is out of budget and for the size too.

Thanks
Akshay

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2019, 16:38:15 »
Far and foremost one must think of the Nikon df as a mf camera with limited af capaciteit imo.

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2019, 18:43:25 »
Df's AF zone is indeed too narrow for my taste too; I've shot ballets with it nonetheless - but with the relatively fast-focussing 70-200/2.8 G. But generally speaking, the Df is better suited for stills (in MF or AF mode). Now it's for Akshay to judge if it is "good enough" for his use case.
With moving toddlers, I'd expect a relatively low keeper rate, and the not-so-fast AF is not likely to become the main cause for missed shots. I'd just try and take the risk with the 50/1.8 - a very good buy. By the way, I also shot ballet rehearsals with an Oly OM-5 - speaking of slow AF...
Airy Magnien

Chip Chipowski

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2019, 19:14:36 »
85 1.8G is not the best lens for fast moving toddlers.  In the right situation it definitely does the job, but in the wrong situation the AF can struggle (I've used it on D700, now D810).  For my kids, I've gotten a lot of mileage out of the 50mm 1.4G and the 35mm f/2D. 

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2019, 20:12:53 »
Next to my other camera's I keep the df for mf lenses almost exclusively its strength being the rendering with these objectieve. If you want af look elsewhere!

ianwatson

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2019, 23:28:17 »
Any views on the 85 f1.4D instead of 1.8G in terms of autofocus speed and accuracy with toddlers?

My beloved f/1.4D struggles with toddlers. I came to the sad conclusion that I cannot trust its accuracy. The f/1.8G is much, much better. Once it locks on it tracks pretty well.

As Airy noted, toddlers can be tricky. Keep practising, learn to pick your battles and do not be discouraged!

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2019, 06:02:22 »
As Airy noted, toddlers can be tricky. Keep practising, learn to pick your battles and do not be discouraged!
Good advice on picking your battles (shots) .  It has been 16 years since I had a toddler and then I was shooting a P and S.  It has been 35years ago that I was shooting my toddling Daughter with an FM and FE,   Children , particularly if they are yours can be manipulated for photographs.   My 'hints' use a wider lens, as much dof and shutter speeds as the light can handle .  Use longer focals for portraits when the toddler is occupied by something.
What do you intend on doing with the images?   Depending on your location, I would recommend Photo Books for each year instead of my many boxes of 6x4, 7x5 prints and negs.  Get several printed for Grandparents , Kids and yourself.  Try and include other important people (to your child) in the images when you can.   When they get older they will appreciate people and context.

I've been married a few times and have lost photos (and gear)  to several Ex-wives  .   As a new father you probably want to shoot everything your child does ( I know a very good wildlife photographer who bought a Sony a9 just to shoot their new kid) .  With film that was a cost, thanks to digital, not a big expense.  Df is fine.  Buy what you can afford.  Kids get more and more expensive as they get older.

Have fun
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

Akshay

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2019, 14:20:49 »
This forum is awesome! Thank you all for your valuable inputs!

My Df is relatively new and with warranty so i can flip it for a Z6 for a manageable loss hence the temptation, especially looking at where i will be in terms of my photographic requirements going forward. Z6 with the Z 50/85 1.8S combo, I'm assuming, will be quicker than the DF + 50/85 1.8G combo.

Tom, other than the occasional A4 or A3 size print for the cabinet or walls, i will collate the digital photos and print photo books as you have recommended. It is a great idea for the future, to look back and enjoy.

My baby jerks due to the Df shutter sound.  :) That said i do enjoy taking photos with it more than the Z6 during tests.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2019, 21:16:27 »
Hi, most of the posts regarding the Nikon Df are 4=5 years old which makes me wonder if you’re still finding this camera a useful tool particularly with Nikon MF lenses.

Z6 is so much better in next to any respect.

See: I even sold my beloved D3 for my new love D500, but the Z6 is different ... not so good with heavy glass but great with old MF gems
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Imagelover

• Teacher to minority speaking people in Norway
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2019, 20:42:28 »
Earlier this year I bought an used chrome Df body with the Df kit lens. I am an owner of many of the AI and AIS lenses and really like to use the Df with those. The image is with the Df mounted on a Nikkor 400 2.8 AIS lens on a tripod and a Nikon polarizer, aperture 11. I just wanted some sharpness, not only the focused point. I use the Df as much as I can! Just pure love!
One picture taken is far better than none!