Author Topic: Nikon DF  (Read 41741 times)

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
Re: Nikon DF
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2019, 22:27:20 »
" assumed Z-system is indeed successful it is formally impossible to derive that from shrinking sales or lower prices for the Df. "

That was not my conclusion neither, Millirehm ! I was considering the many Nikon gear users who say that they use a Z7/Z6 as a standard workhorse instead of a Nikon F body (Df, D810, D850 or D750, D610...)

Thanks Didier for explaining your thoughts.

i am adding the following:
Ideally for Nikon the Z-system attracts users who did not use Nikon SLR before and did not plan to, are tempted by full frame mirrorless system cameras but havent yet had a mirrorless at all or full frame or switch from Sony to Nikon (because of the better viewfinder for instance, despite the not so advanced AF).
The less the Nikon Z -system is cannibalizing the F-system, the better for Nikon.
I dont know whether there are some or many Nikon gear users using Z as a standard instead of F.
But this indicates that they already have one or more Nikon F bodies (or had them and sold them off - which indeed might  influence the sales of Nikon F bodies if it becomes a mass phenomenon.
So most of these customers probably had already bought their Df if they'd lusted for its retro design.
Concluding questions is: how many persons were left who still had no Df, wanted to buy one but skipped thad and went for a Z6/Z7 instead?

Wolfgang Rehm

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2019, 01:50:38 »
Thanks Didier for explaining your thoughts.

i am adding the following:
Ideally for Nikon the Z-system attracts users who did not use Nikon SLR before and did not plan to, are tempted by full frame mirrorless system cameras but havent yet had a mirrorless at all or full frame or switch from Sony to Nikon (because of the better viewfinder for instance, despite the not so advanced AF).
The less the Nikon Z -system is cannibalizing the F-system, the better for Nikon.
I dont know whether there are some or many Nikon gear users using Z as a standard instead of F.
But this indicates that they already have one or more Nikon F bodies (or had them and sold them off - which indeed might  influence the sales of Nikon F bodies if it becomes a mass phenomenon.
So most of these customers probably had already bought their Df if they'd lusted for its retro design.
Concluding questions is: how many persons were left who still had no Df, wanted to buy one but skipped thad and went for a Z6/Z7 instead?

I think that anyone who wanted to buy a Df and had not, is not a very strong customer. At this point, though I love the Df, I think the Z is a better camera for most of what I wanted a Df for. The silent shutter, zoomable viewfinder, IBIS and good low-light performance make it a great camera for MF lenses. The only missing thing is an aperture follower on the FTZ so it would capture shooting aperture in the file metadata.

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2019, 21:36:58 »
I think that anyone who wanted to buy a Df and had not, is not a very strong customer. At this point, though I love the Df, I think the Z is a better camera for most of what I wanted a Df for. The silent shutter, zoomable viewfinder, IBIS and good low-light performance make it a great camera for MF lenses. The only missing thing is an aperture follower on the FTZ so it would capture shooting aperture in the file metadata.
For me the Df and a (yet to come) Z would not fulfill the same function. I understand the wish for the aperture follower but I am afraid Nikon wont follow it as they always planned less than 100% of possible compatibility.
Wolfgang Rehm

Steven Paulsen

• NG Supporter
  • Cumpulsive Tinkerer
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2019, 01:22:27 »
I finally sprung for one.
In most simple terms; "I'm Home."

Imagelover

• Teacher to minority speaking people in Norway
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2019, 14:05:28 »
The image is from december this year and shows The Fishing Restaurant in Kristiansund town, Norway. I used the Nikon Df on a tripod with the "old" ond really great Nikkor 105mm f2.5 AI lens, aperture f5.5. This combination of camera and lens I really love! Enjoy christmas!
One picture taken is far better than none!

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #50 on: December 26, 2019, 15:45:10 »
Super picture with a very good balance between the artificial light and the faint daylight.
Love the emotion.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #51 on: December 26, 2019, 15:55:30 »
Yes, agree.  And lovely setting.

Imagelover

• Teacher to minority speaking people in Norway
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #52 on: December 26, 2019, 18:26:24 »
Thanks to both of you, Bent and John!
One picture taken is far better than none!