Author Topic: Nikon DF  (Read 41750 times)

Dave Becker

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • https://500px.com/p/davidbecker?view=photos
Nikon DF
« on: July 26, 2019, 06:05:00 »
Hi, most of the posts regarding the Nikon Df are 4=5 years old which makes me wonder if you’re still finding this camera a useful tool particularly with Nikon MF lenses.

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
Re: Nikon DF
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2019, 06:17:36 »
yes, no questions about it. its the only Nikon of its kind  :o :o :o

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2019, 06:41:03 »
The Nikon Df is my camera of choice when photography is to be fun and enjoyable, not just work :)

I'm on my second Df now as the first met with disaster.

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2019, 08:25:55 »
I find the Df a very personal camera which i mainly use with older lenses, highly recommended! :)

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2019, 08:31:24 »
I also use my Df with my old MF Nikkors.
I agree with Fons and Birna regarding the use.

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2019, 09:54:21 »
I’m still using my Df with delight... 8) It’s just perfect for my use  :D
“A photograph is a moral decision taken in one eighth of a second. ” ― Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet.

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2019, 17:17:34 »
I love the df, but almost always I use Z6 these days with old MF lenses because focus is so much easier with ability to zoom the viewfinder. Z6 is quieter and smaller too.

I used the df for a long time and some things are great about it, but my vision is not as good as it once was so the electronic viewfinder over-rules everything else.

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2019, 21:13:13 »
The Df has become my main camera since I bought it, in 2014. The D800 does the backup.
It is my nearly daily companion, while commuting, strolling, or travelling, and also finds uses at home.
I mostly use it with MF lenses (Nikkor, Zeiss,  Voigtländer, Leitz R), because I mostly use such lenses in the first place. Exceptions are mostly the AFS 85/1.4 and the 300 PF, not to forget the very nice Tamron 45/1.8.

For MF, I did not feel the need for replacing the ground glass, but I've been systematically using the DK 17 M magnifying eyepiece from 2009, wfirst with the D700, then the D800.

I am especially delighted by its IQ; colors feel more natural than with the D800. Very good handling with only a few minuses (exposure compensation control is a bit awkward, while on the contrary shutter mode is easily knocked off position; AF coverage zone is too narrow; I never use the front wheel, which hurts my finger).

It needed servicing only once, in 2017 (aperture lever actuator became weak, then stopped working altogether).

The Nikon Z-something may replace my Df in the future, as I have tested them and was delighted by the results - but not so much by the handling, which is "only" fine. I may have to switch if my eyesight weakens or my hands get less steady, something that may happen also to me (I'm 62 after all). For the time being, I'm fully satisfied. You may have noticed that all pics I've been publishing these recent years, months, days, come from the Df.
Airy Magnien

Lorne

• NG Supporter
  • it started with a Nikkormat
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2019, 23:20:52 »
I agree with everything the others say. If

I bought my Df as soon as they were available in 2013. Picture quality was a huge improvement over my D200, which I'd also bought when it debuted. I use a mix of AF and MF Nikkors, and the Df's relatively compact size (as compared to my D200 let alone a D800) makes it easier to pack along on my motorcycle trips.

The Df was criticized for its style, but at least it looked different than every other dslr. Funnily, those same critics never seem to pick on Leica for looking much like film cameras.

Getting the D4 sensor in a small package that echoes my FM3a was more attractive to me than the then 2 years old D800 - both were about the same price. And the D200 replacement I'd been awaiting was only vapourware at the time - the D500 wouldn't appear for 2 more years.

I have only a few nits to pick:
1. the Df doesn't accept Nikon 10-pin accessories
2. the on-off takes too much effort to operate
3. as does the front command dial

The only Nikon I find tempting is the Z6/Z7 - but only as an additional camera. Sadly, my current budget nixes that plan.
Frequently wrong, seldom in doubt

rosko

• Homo erectus manualfocus
  • NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2019, 13:21:28 »
wonder if you’re still finding this camera a useful tool particularly with Nikon MF lenses.

Definitely yes !

Although I am now using mostly my Z6, I still use the Df coupled with old manual lenses.

I guess you are planning to get a Df, aren't you ?

Go ahead !
Francis Devrainne

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2019, 17:03:58 »
Amongst my several SLR Camera bodies, the Df is still part of the lineup.  It pairs and balances well with MF- lenses- better than other cameras and it still has got a decent AF when i feel the need for it- also works with screwdriver AF.
The only downside of this camera is the front wheel which hurts my finger even when not used (just when holding the camera) thats a nuissance.
The kit lens not having an aperture ring is a design failure- but there is no obligation to use that anyway, and using the MF goodies is a pleasure.
Got a chrome version because it was the only available then and i did not want to wait but I might a black one to my equoipment some time in the near future. There wont be A Df2 in the near future (probably never) so no need to think for a potential successor.
Wolfgang Rehm

RobOK

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • My gallery
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2019, 19:45:36 »
Have loved the Df, the only downside for me was grip was too small (shallow) which I eventually got an add on (waited far too long!). And low light auto focus is poor, especially considering how great the SENSOR is in low light!

This forum has a great collection of Df fans! (And helpful to answer questions). Many/ most of us are sad on the lack of a Df2!!!

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2019, 10:48:57 »
Wolfgang, I cannot find the link, but I have seen an add on accessory that fits over this wheel and improves the comfort.

Amongst my several SLR Camera bodies, the Df is still part of the lineup.  It pairs and balances well with MF- lenses- better than other cameras and it still has got a decent AF when i feel the need for it- also works with screwdriver AF.
The only downside of this camera is the front wheel which hurts my finger even when not used (just when holding the camera) thats a nuissance.
The kit lens not having an aperture ring is a design failure- but there is no obligation to use that anyway, and using the MF goodies is a pleasure.
Got a chrome version because it was the only available then and i did not want to wait but I might a black one to my equoipment some time in the near future. There wont be A Df2 in the near future (probably never) so no need to think for a potential successor.
Hugh Gunn

Kenneth Rich

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2019, 16:53:57 »
If one of you savvy people could tell me how to use the back wheel when I (very rarely) use my Nikkor PC lens, I'd do so and be able to say  I NEVER use that front wheel! Since I've not used the PC in the last couple of years, Im not going to fret about it. I find the grip unobtrusive but effective, but then I don't use heavy or long lenses. Obviously, I am in love with my Df, have been since I first handled it, and intend it to be my last camera, unless there is a Df2, devoid of AF, the front wheel and offers interchangeable screens. There must be other features I could do without, but I've grown to ignore or work around them. Biassed dinosaur? Yes, and unapologetic. 

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2019, 21:29:43 »
Wolfgang, I cannot find the link, but I have seen an add on accessory that fits over this wheel and improves the comfort.

Thanks Hugh, that'd be worth searching no matter whether there is a link - good to know that Help exists

(BTW a Df2 design study was rumored with this wheel completely redesigned - its too late for that now Nikon is routing its capacities to the Z System
Wolfgang Rehm