Author Topic: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system  (Read 316176 times)

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
Re: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system
« Reply #1125 on: January 09, 2020, 08:59:32 »
Thank you.
I went for photo walk today, just to test the moving af box, and it did not move :o
So it was not the bouncing on the coat that made it, today all worked fine.
Pressing the shutter release when taking the camera up also solve the turning on lag ;)
Do you know about the feature 'store by orientation' it is keeping the focus points for vertical and horizontal shooting separately,,,
Erik Lund

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #1126 on: January 09, 2020, 09:02:01 »
Do you know about the feature 'store by orientation' it is keeping the focus points for vertical and horizontal shooting separately,,,
Yes, it is also on D500 :)

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #1127 on: January 09, 2020, 09:08:01 »
OK ;) Then that is ruled out.
I leave it off, I find it a bit to slow for action shooting.
Then I don't see how the focus point brackets should happen to move by itself,,,
Erik Lund

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #1128 on: January 09, 2020, 11:28:07 »
Walking around with the camera on and around your neck and or in your hand touching the viewfinder moves the focus point around :o

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
« Reply #1129 on: January 09, 2020, 11:40:48 »
Disabling the touchscreen for AF is one option for preventing all kinds of unexpected behaviour.

I use the joystick for moving the AF box on a regular basis, so for me a lock is not a solution. Moving the focus box around means that it is normally off center for a new picture;  so I configured pressing the joystick for centering the AF box (default behaviour is AF/AE lock), works well enough for me.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #1130 on: January 09, 2020, 11:43:13 »
I use the joystick for moving the AF box on a regular basis, so for me a lock is not a solution. Moving the focus box around means that it is normally off center for a new picture;  so I configured pressing the joystick for centering the AF box (default behaviour is AF/AE lock), works well enough for me.
This is also how I set up my D850, a good quick 'return to center' for many situations ;)
Erik Lund

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #1131 on: January 09, 2020, 13:11:21 »
Walking around with the camera on and around your neck and or in your hand touching the viewfinder moves the focus point around :o
This helps:

Disabling the touchscreen for AF is one option for preventing all kinds of unexpected behaviour.

Be aware this is not a menu-option.  You have to disable the (Screen)- AF on the screen itself.

RobOK

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • My gallery
« Reply #1132 on: January 11, 2020, 21:44:09 »
Conflict between FTZ and tripod plate

I keep a tripod plate on my Z6 and use a Peak Design handgrip as a strap, it goes from the camera strap ring on the side and attaches to the tripod plate. Now, I go to put on the FTZ and realize i have to take it off and move it to the bottom of the FTZ. Then to change back to a native mount lens i have to move it once again.

Am i missing something obvious? Seems to be a pain for me. Maybe there exists a tripod plate that fits on the camera bottom WITH the FTZ attached?

Thanks,
Rob.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #1133 on: January 11, 2020, 21:50:42 »
Markins has the bracket you are thinking of.  It comprises two sections, one for the camera, and one for the FTZ. One buys them together or separately. However, although the L-bracket for FTZ does work and will be independent of the camera (with or without a camera bracket/plate), it makes hand holding the gear slightly awkward. Thus I keep the bracket only on a single FTZ dedicated to close-up and macro work. The other FTZ units are used without its bespoke bracket.

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #1134 on: January 11, 2020, 22:52:20 »
Does anyone know an L-bracket for the Z6/7 whose vertical part is completely flush to the camera? I have the Smallrig L-bracket so far and it is not bad, but I dislike the gap between the vertical plate and the left side of the camera even when it is pushed all the way in. I have seen that many other plates have the same property. I almost never use the electrical contacts and prefer to have the L-bracket hug the camera. The RRS seems to fit the bill, but I was wondering whether there are less expensive options. I would also like to have a grip extension as in the RRS/Smallrig, i.e. a plate that covers the entire bottom of the camera.
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1135 on: January 12, 2020, 10:05:43 »
The Markins fits your description. I'm sure there are others as well. I just got the Markins as it was an early introduction and I urgently needed an L-bracket for my new Z bodies.

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
« Reply #1136 on: January 12, 2020, 10:43:43 »
@simsurace

The Markins PN-Z7 does not fit your description, i.e. it does not cover the entire bottom of the camera and thus does not act as a grip extension. IMHO the vertical part is also poorly executed, the thinned leg makes it flexible. Both the RRS and the Smallrig are much better, in this respect, rock solid.

For the times you can live without the vertical part (eg handheld shooting) and want a very good grip extension, the Meike MK-Z7G is worth a look. Excellent grip, but a little weird looking. It has a horizontal dovetail.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1137 on: January 12, 2020, 12:13:29 »
Strangely enough, never had any issue with the Markins on the Z cameras even for vertical shooting. Thus your mileage might vary.

For myself it is beneficial the bracket doesn't extend the whole way underneath the body as this would interfere with my fingers when hand-holding the camera. Again, YMMV.

RobOK

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • My gallery
« Reply #1138 on: January 12, 2020, 17:33:12 »
For me I’m talking about an Arca plate, so the only option would be a rectangular arca which is thinner and don’t think that exists....

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
« Reply #1139 on: January 12, 2020, 17:38:24 »
RobOK, I had the same issue.  The FTZ is, unfortunately, poorly thought out.  When I go back to Z mount I will skip over the FTZ for third party.  I don't know if there are third party F-Z that supports G lenses, as this wasn't a concern for me, but perhaps you should look into it.
-Tristin