Author Topic: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system  (Read 320083 times)

rs

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system
« Reply #1110 on: January 06, 2020, 18:45:27 »

Is possible to do quick check of the lens re: decenter??

Any advice, please....

Hi Andrew,

Jim Kasson's site has a wealth of good information - his lens evaluation testing procedure is here:

https://blog.kasson.com/lens-screening-testing/

Regards,

Richard

Hermann

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #1111 on: January 06, 2020, 22:52:58 »
I've been following this thread since it started, and I think it's now about time I got myself a Z as well. I've still got quite a few AIS lenses, and I really want to use them once again in the future. A couple of months ago I was quite sure I'd get myself a Z6, having tried one in the field for a a day. <snip>

Now, after the Z50 came out,  I'm not so sure anymore. I normally shoot DX and I'm into wildlife photography, so the Z50 would fit nicely.

Looks like I'll get myself a Z6 instead of a Z50 after all. There are several reasons: I'll keep my DSLRs for the time being anyway, so I can always use a DX camera when I need the reach. In addition I want to have IBIS for my old AIS lenses. Not sure I really need it but it's a nice-to-have. I also found a reference that the Z50 isn't as weatherproof as the Z6/Z7. (A Nikon guy in the US claimed it's on about the same level as the D5600: https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/mirrorless-cameras/z-50.html#tab-ProductDetail-ProductTabs-Forum. )That means a big deal to me.

Thanks to all those who replied to my questions.

Hermann

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #1112 on: January 06, 2020, 23:40:35 »
B/W grain produced by the Z6 at ISO102400 (Hi 1) is quite pleasing IMO (ACR noise reduction set to zero).
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #1113 on: January 07, 2020, 07:45:10 »
Yes, a very pleasing random grain look! Can be used to great extent ;)
Erik Lund

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #1114 on: January 07, 2020, 21:33:47 »
I have observed in the Januar thread, that I am not the only one that have observed the odd behavior that the AF box have ben moved while the camera have been idling in the strap.
I tried to have the camera on a table, and the box did not move during sleep.
The behavior is not seen on any of my DSLRs, and the controls feels actually the same way on the Z6, so what has changed?
The box can be reset my pressing several buttons, but it is an annoyance that it moves at all.
I am not able to program the joystick to not move the af box :o, but I may  have overlooked something.
Anyone with at solution?

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #1115 on: January 07, 2020, 21:49:58 »
It is a huge annoyance the AF focus point can't be locked in the center. I am afraid such a thing is not solvable with some firmware-updates.

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
« Reply #1116 on: January 07, 2020, 21:52:55 »
I have observed in the Januar thread, that I am not the only one that have observed the odd behavior that the AF box have ben moved while the camera have been idling in the strap.
I tried to have the camera on a table, and the box did not move during sleep.
The behavior is not seen on any of my DSLRs, and the controls feels actually the same way on the Z6, so what has changed?
The box can be reset my pressing several buttons, but it is an annoyance that it moves at all.
I am not able to program the joystick to not move the af box :o, but I may  have overlooked something.
Anyone with at solution?

Is it caused by accidentally hitting the monitor that has touch-AF enabled?

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
« Reply #1117 on: January 07, 2020, 22:06:25 »

It's because the Zs don't have the rotating dial to lock and unlock the AF point that you see on Nikon's DSLRs.  This is one of the major disappointments in the Zs for me, they are much more like a P&S in the control department.  Even the D70 had lockable AF Point and Drive select.

The best Nikon could do to remedy the situation is to enable it as a custom option, though making it a toggle that takes up a Custom button still isn't that great.  Worse, I doubt it will happen as they clearly hobbled the first gen Zs in controls so that the second gen can strut their non-hobbled bodies.
-Tristin

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #1118 on: January 08, 2020, 00:37:35 »

Yes, before I disabled the touch screen my nose did my focusing.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #1119 on: January 08, 2020, 10:38:04 »
The cuteness factor of the Z50 with an ancient Nikkor(RF) lens is amazing :) This is with the W-Nikkor 3.5cm f/1.8, which still is an excellent performer although providing that desirable "old time" look.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #1120 on: January 08, 2020, 10:41:54 »
I just purchased the Z6 kit, so will probably try this test:
https://photographylife.com/what-is-a-decentered-lens
Congratulations! Enjoy ;)
Erik Lund

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #1121 on: January 08, 2020, 16:37:04 »
Congratulations! Enjoy ;)
Thank you.
I went for photo walk today, just to test the moving af box, and it did not move :o
So it was not the bouncing on the coat that made it, today all worked fine.
Pressing the shutter release when taking the camera up also solve the turning on lag ;)

Luc

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Flickr
« Reply #1122 on: January 08, 2020, 16:47:11 »
Congrats Bent! Have Zome fun :D

chambeshi

« Reply #1123 on: January 08, 2020, 16:53:13 »
An interesting comparison - Z7 to Toyota Supra  ;D

https://imaging.nikon.com/brand/design_philosophy/index.htm

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #1124 on: January 08, 2020, 23:42:29 »
The petite Z50 paired with a 3.5cm f/1.8 W-Nikkor or, as in this case, the more recently designed Voigtländer 50mm f/1.5 (RF) from early 2000's makes for a nice and unobtrusive walk-around kit. The period 5 cm Nikkors require a focusing adapter as they lack their own helicoid, the 5cm f/1.1(external mount) being an exception. I do have such adapter for my Z cameras, but it makes the handling a little awkward.