Author Topic: Vintage Gear Surprise, pre AI.  (Read 22431 times)

Eb

• NG Member
    • pbase.com/emueller
Vintage Gear Surprise, pre AI.
« on: December 13, 2016, 01:29:31 »
It is ironic that someone who unceremoniously has dumped his vintage gear both acquired and used in the 60 - 70's, should have this "treasure trove" come his way.  In fairness, my old gear was dumped when cash was decisevely more important than nostalgia.  But here we have nostalgia!  All this largess is due to a beneficient uncle who thought I might enjoy trying film again!  We have, Nikon F, FTN, circa 1968-69, micro Nikkor-P-C 55mm, f/3.5 complete with M2 adapter and HS-4 hood, (I'd say mint condition,) a Nikkor-P-C 105mm, f/2.5 and and the only AI lens, Zoom-Nikkor 35-105, f/3.5-4.5.  Finally, what I prize the most, an absolutely mint Nikkor-P-C 400mm, f/5.6.  This lens was acquired in Japan, directly, and used only once. 

Today, right out of the gate, I was lucky and located a factory conversion kit #55 for the 400mm!!!  I fear my luck will not persist in locating the #63 kit (micro 55mm) and #39 kit (105mm.)  However, the M2 will mount on a modern camera and I can use the micro with that anyways.  The 105mm will have limited use for now.  I do not want to cut into the lens ring for the "home made" adaptation and would rather sit, wait and see.

I have to laugh since my aunt (she is wiser because only a couple weeks older than I) asked what I would do with that "heavy thing" - meaning the FTN.  My reflexive response was, "makes a great doorstop!"   ;D

I remember, in photography school, around 1971, I was a little jealous of my well heeled fellow students who sported this expensive state of the art Nikon gear.  I certainly did not shoot Nikon then!  Look what I missed and now so much fun to play with and fabulous historic fabrication to admire.  I know the camera has very little monetary value, but its the thoughts that count!   :)

BTW, I'm appreciative to still be a member of NikonGear, but, alas, my photography has suffered after a year of avoidance due to bad arthritis in neck and wrists.  Hence, in the timeliness of sharing this gift, I wish everyone the best for Christmas!

Eb Mueller
British Columbia, Canada
http://www.pbase.com/emueller

Roland Vink

• NG Member
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
Re: Vintage Gear Surprise, pre AI.
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 02:04:01 »
Hi Eb, the 400 P-C is a great find, very glad you were able to locate the AI ring for it (keep the original pre-AI ring, there may be a collector who wants a pristine ring to restore another lens)

I doubt you will find original AI conversion rings for the 55 micro or 105 P-C, I've never seen them in many years of collecting and researching old Nikon lenses. Enjoy them as they are. If you need AI lenses, it will be just as simple to pick up AI versions of the same lenses (they have the same optics)

Eb

• NG Member
    • pbase.com/emueller
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 02:28:06 »
Hi Eb, the 400 P-C is a great find, very glad you were able to locate the AI ring for it (keep the original pre-AI ring, there may be a collector who wants a pristine ring to restore another lens)

I doubt you will find original AI conversion rings for the 55 micro or 105 P-C, I've never seen them in many years of collecting and researching old Nikon lenses. Enjoy them as they are. If you need AI lenses, it will be just as simple to pick up AI versions of the same lenses (they have the same optics)
Thanks for the sage advice, Roland.  Your opinion is exactly in line with my thoughts on vintage equipment.  It is what it is and desirable or beautiful for that.  There are lots of 105mm AI lenses around, if I were inclined to go for one! 

Is it possible that I was lucky with finding the 400 P-C conversion kit because this lens is fairly rare in it's pre-AI configuration - hence, lower demand for the kit?
Eb Mueller
British Columbia, Canada

FredCrowBear

• NG Supporter
  • Frederick V. Ramsey
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 03:13:50 »
Great post. 
I remember the FTN fondly, as it was my first exposure to Nikon in 1978 (a good friend had one).  That prompted me to save and buy an FE in 1979 (still have it). 
I hope you can find some relief from your arthritis and enjoy your vintage gear. 
Frederick V. Ramsey

Roland Vink

• NG Member
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 03:40:49 »
Is it possible that I was lucky with finding the 400 P-C conversion kit because this lens is fairly rare in it's pre-AI configuration - hence, lower demand for the kit?
You are right that pre-AI 400/5.6 is rare, with a little over 1400 units in the "P-C" version and about 1200 in the "K" version (plus less than 900 in native AI mount). Interestingly both the P-C and K versions accept the same AI conversion ring, #55, which hints at similar internal mechanics, in spite of the different outer appearance.

I'm not sure why AI conversion rings for this lens are still available, while others were used up long ago. It may be that Nikon over-produced AI rings for this lens, which would be  strange because they should know how many lenses they built! Maybe many owners simply did not bother to convert their lens to AI, continuing to use them on their pre-Ai camera or switching to the AI IF-ED version, so that many AI conversion rings were left unused.

For other more popular lenses like the 105/2.5, I suspect Nikon did not make enough AI conversion rings for every lens they made, assuming that many owners would not convert their lens, or would eventually buy a new AI lens. The result is that AI rings for these lenses were eventually used up.

Eb

• NG Member
    • pbase.com/emueller
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 04:25:01 »
For other more popular lenses like the 105/2.5, I suspect Nikon did not make enough AI conversion rings for every lens they made, assuming that many owners would not convert their lens, or would eventually buy a new AI lens. The result is that AI rings for these lenses were eventually used up.
Current Ebay search yields:
#13, #16 - 15mm f/5.6
#45 - 135mm f/3.5
#51 - 200mm f/4 Q
#55 - 400mm f/5.6
#65, #66, #68 - 43-86mm f/3.5
#73, #74 - 80-200mm f/4.5
#82 - 85-250mm f/4
I surmise these are not so common lenses, except the 135mm, perhaps?  But, as you say, Nikon likely did not produce enough conversion kits.  It is far better business model to eventually encourage acquisition of new lenses.

edit:  another just popped up, #87, #88 - 50-300 f/4.5
Eb Mueller
British Columbia, Canada

Eb

• NG Member
    • pbase.com/emueller
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 04:27:32 »
Great post. 
I remember the FTN fondly, as it was my first exposure to Nikon in 1978 (a good friend had one).  That prompted me to save and buy an FE in 1979 (still have it). 
I hope you can find some relief from your arthritis and enjoy your vintage gear.
Thanks for the well wishes, Fred!  Your acquisition from almost 40 years ago can still feel warm and fuzzy!   :)
Eb Mueller
British Columbia, Canada

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 04:38:05 »
Welcome back, Eb, and wish your arthritis will be eased by your happy findings to any extent, except for their weight...

The majority of the lenses presented here are still very venerable.  Hope you enjoy them both physically and mentally, and share some results here if ever possible.  :)
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

RonVol

• NG Member
  • Fierce Koala Bear of the Great Southern Land
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2016, 05:40:35 »
Wow, nice finds Eb.
That 400mm looks to be in superb condition.

Eb

• NG Member
    • pbase.com/emueller
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2016, 07:28:54 »
Welcome back, Eb, and wish your arthritis will be eased by your happy findings to any extent, except for their weight...

The majority of the lenses presented here are still very venerable.  Hope you enjoy them both physically and mentally, and share some results here if ever possible.  :)
Thanks for your well wishes, Akira.  It is great to hear from you.  If I recollect correctly, you acquired a 400 some time back, likely not pre-AI.  How has it served you?
Eb Mueller
British Columbia, Canada

Eb

• NG Member
    • pbase.com/emueller
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2016, 07:31:15 »
Wow, nice finds Eb.
That 400mm looks to be in superb condition.
Indeed, it is mint and spent over 40 years in its case.  Of course, the case exterior, vinyl, has completely disintegrated!   ;D
Eb Mueller
British Columbia, Canada

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2016, 07:54:53 »
sexy :o :o :o

more and more people are realising the value of old gear. this is the trend these days ::)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2016, 08:05:37 »
Thanks for your well wishes, Akira.  It is great to hear from you.  If I recollect correctly, you acquired a 400 some time back, likely not pre-AI.  How has it served you?

Eb, yes, I enjoyed my IF version of Ai Nikkor 400/5.6 ED on D610.  Unfortunately I sold it and am not sure how it mates with D810, but I've heard that the non-IF version uses also ED glasses and its optical performance is better than IF.  So, I'm pretty sure it will serve you nicely.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2016, 08:24:41 »
This was a present? WOW. Congratulations. Have all the fun in the world with it!
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2016, 08:37:23 »
Congratulations! What a nice product shot as well :)
Erik Lund