Author Topic: Vintage Gear Surprise, pre AI.  (Read 22269 times)

Eb

• NG Member
    • pbase.com/emueller
Re: Vintage Gear Surprise, pre AI.
« Reply #75 on: January 05, 2017, 22:03:28 »
Screw extractor saved the day!!! :o :o :o
One of the screws was badly stripped by whoever worked on this thing
Well, it wasn't me that worked on that thing!  ;D

Richard, it is reassuring that you were able to extract the screw so handily!  How deep did you drill?  Did you have to apply any heat before the extraction?
Eb Mueller
British Columbia, Canada
http://www.pbase.com/emueller

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #76 on: January 06, 2017, 02:03:37 »
How deep did you drill?  Did you have to apply any heat before the extraction?

Hi! Well, the Japanese instructions says that 1-1.5mm is deep enough if I recall it properly but in practice, 2mm is needed. Be sure that you are drilling with a 1mm bit and if you drilled too deep the extractor will flare the screw instead of extracting it and that would be more trouble. you will bite deeper than what you need and the screw gets stuck even more. start with around 1mm and see if it's biting then drill as you need. blow the junk away and use a ratchet on reverse. :o :o :o

i know it sounds like I am inventing stories from my ass but I even extracted a tiny set screw with this M1 extractor ::)

Eb

• NG Member
    • pbase.com/emueller
« Reply #77 on: July 07, 2017, 01:52:21 »
I left this thread hanging long enough!  (What, 6 months?)  Today, I screwed up courage and unscrewed the mount screws using the drill press method.  That was easy-peasy for someone crippled with arthritis.  (I no longer have the steady hand, strength, dexterity, nor ability at fine grasping - so no wonder I blew my first attempt back in early January.) 

I waited 2 months for the screw extractor from Japan and then re-ordered after that appeared lost in the mail.  Short story, is that I did not need the extractor, nor heat from a pencil butane torch.  Using a cut off Phillips shank from a cheap jeweler's set, I was able to get some purchase on the stripped head, where the JIS shank could no longer bite.  However, the JIS shank (thanks to the drill press) served well for the remaining screws. The old screws which I had mangled in the first attempt were replaced with new ones.  There is now no evidence remaining of amateurish ham handedness.    :)

The lens works fine in my digital bodies, but the AI aperture ring turns stiffly.  The stops click in OK, just a bit harder to turn the ring.  Obviously it is not as nice a ring as the pre-AI version. 

I'm pleased and relieved that the project is completed, even 'though my old eyes are not so pleased with manual focus operation.   :(

Eb Mueller
British Columbia, Canada

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #78 on: July 07, 2017, 03:42:11 »
congratulations!  :o :o :o

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #79 on: July 07, 2017, 03:48:37 »
Eb, good to know you didn't screw the lens and get it back to work!  :D
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Eb

• NG Member
    • pbase.com/emueller
« Reply #80 on: July 07, 2017, 04:21:01 »
Eb, good to know you didn't screw the lens and get it back to work!  :D
;D ;D ;D
Eb Mueller
British Columbia, Canada

Eb

• NG Member
    • pbase.com/emueller
« Reply #81 on: July 07, 2017, 04:29:20 »
congratulations!  :o :o :o

Thanks, Richard, for the help with the extractor idea and sourcing it from Japan.  Even if not needed at this time, there is sure to be an opportunity some time later.
 8)
Eb Mueller
British Columbia, Canada

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #82 on: July 07, 2017, 08:02:31 »
Congratulations! Persistence prevails ;) Enjoy
Erik Lund

Thomas G

• NG Supporter
  • lumofisk
    • Iceland round trip 2016
« Reply #83 on: July 07, 2017, 08:03:41 »
Thumbs up on finally re-trying and succeeding!
-/-/-

Eb

• NG Member
    • pbase.com/emueller
« Reply #84 on: July 07, 2017, 22:24:02 »
Congratulations! Persistence prevails ;) Enjoy
Thumbs up on finally re-trying and succeeding!
Thanks!  You both are kind!  I'd say procrastination was 90% and persistence 10%.  Yet, even procrastinators keep the goal in mind, waiting for the right moment.   ;)

My friend and uncle-in-law, who gifted these old treasures, wants me to see how well the lens performs in a D800 body.  I will oblige him with comparisons to other, more modern, 400mm combinations in my lens stable.  Though in terms of practical use for this lens, I'd reserve it for landscapes, where I can indulge in painstaking manual focus.  It's not close focusing and not good for requiting my love for closeups.  There is not much chance of wildlife images, unless for rare situations where pre-focus is possible.  However, for those with younger eyes, and/or a better for manual focus body, the options may be wider.
Eb Mueller
British Columbia, Canada

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #85 on: July 08, 2017, 02:10:43 »
A layman questions to this expert thread: how heavy is the setup of the D800 plus your 400mm gem? Looks like a chunk of metal to me.

Congratulations to finishing your project from my side too!
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Eb

• NG Member
    • pbase.com/emueller
« Reply #86 on: July 08, 2017, 04:18:54 »
A layman questions to this expert thread: how heavy is the setup of the D800 plus your 400mm gem? Looks like a chunk of metal to me.

Congratulations to finishing your project from my side too!
Frank, it is indeed a chunk of metal (heavy metal!)  The kitchen scale weighs D800E plus lens at 2.43 Kg +/- a few grams.  But, that is just a start on the weight of gear, if you include a sturdy tripod and head.  Yet, I put that into perspective when I weigh my 200-400 (plus camera) at twice that, 4.8 Kg.

While weight should not be a big deal, (it hasn't been a problem in the past,) it is now so.  More often than not, I reach for my Fuji X100.  It still suffices for my casual photographic desires.  Beyond that, I have had to cut way back on photography!   :( :( :(
Eb Mueller
British Columbia, Canada