Author Topic: D810 successor in the pipeline?  (Read 48328 times)

JohnBrew

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: D810 successor in the pipeline?
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2016, 21:07:11 »
I would prefer to stay away from further increases in pixel count since I have no practical use for the additional information and it would increase needs to storage and computational resources. I'm very happy to have a camera now which can mostly handle the focusing requirements of its sensor (D5) even at wide apertures and a computer which makes it practical to edit those files without waiting. A D810 NEF converted to TIFF and edited normally (two additional layers) is about 600MB on the disk. Going to 96MP would push that to 1.6 GB per image. Most such images would likely be slightly out of focus because of this I can't see how there would be perceptible gain on image quality at least in my own applications. A much larger sensor size (such as 6x4,5cm full frame or bigger) would make sense if you need such resolutions and I would imagine the benefits would be much more tangible.

I like the D810 body a lot and would like to get the Multi-CAM 20k and Nikon's radio flash control added to it, as well as XQD card support (maybe SD UHS-II in the second card, though I would prefer two XQD, since SD UHS-II seem just as expensive as XQD but more fragile, and I don't want to invest in a huge variety of expensive high speed cards that are incompatible with each other). Canon has the sense to put a practical resolution (30MP) in their mainline 5D Mark IV (they usually have the pulse on what most photographers need; shouldn't be surprising that their market share is increasing even though they're already no 1). If Nikon wants to make an ultra high resolution variant, by all means, as long as other customers who specifically don't want it  are given reasonable options to choose from as well.

Amen.

PedroS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2016, 21:17:00 »
Given the D810's superior dynamic range (from ISO 64 to 400, but especially at base ISO, photographic DR difference 1.7 stops, engineering DR difference 2.4 stops), I don't think Nikon has to respond to the 5Ds (R) in any way, in so far as the landscape photographers are concerned.  I personally think that photography is much more about light, shadow, colour and tones, and the macroscopic visual content of the image that one can see at all scales of display rather than small differences in microscopic detail that you need a wall sized print and a magnifying glass to see. I'm not saying that additional detail isn't of value, but 50 MP vs. 36MP is a small difference. If you need more detail, a 6x4,5cm sensor with 100 MP or 200MP would seem to be the next logical step up from 35mm. For me the fact that I don't have to capture a series of exposures to make a decent image of a landscape and spend a long time merging those exposures with hand painted masks and wondering what looks least wrong (and realizing that elements of the landscape have moved between exposures, again leading to decisions to avoid apparent conflict) is of much greater value than a small difference in detail especially at such small scales that we're talking about. I think in the D810 Nikon really got it when it concerns how to make a camera that produces beautiful images.  But for some reason I see that a lot of people missed the event ...

Could be, but a couple of years ago people swear about the 12MP as the holly grail...

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2016, 02:33:36 »
I must say that I find Lloyd Chambers recent blog (today) of using the new Nikkor 19mm PC-E Tilt/Shift lens with the D810, which he claims is an incredible lens, using shift, to get a 73 MPx image, which he says is says is pristine and the equivalent of a MF camera/Lens. Check it out. I also read his complete description of the process in the expanded version and it is very enticing.

https://diglloyd.com/

It is very clear that 2017 is going to be the year we have been waiting around for.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2016, 06:01:35 »
Given the D810's superior dynamic range (from ISO 64 to 400, but especially at base ISO, photographic DR difference 1.7 stops, engineering DR difference 2.4 stops), I don't think Nikon has to respond to the 5Ds (R) in any way, in so far as the landscape photographers are concerned.  I personally think that photography is much more about light, shadow, colour and tones, and the macroscopic visual content of the image that one can see at all scales of display rather than small differences in microscopic detail that you need a wall sized print and a magnifying glass to see. I'm not saying that additional detail isn't of value, but 50 MP vs. 36MP is a small difference. If you need more detail, a 6x4,5cm sensor with 100 MP or 200MP would seem to be the next logical step up from 35mm. For me the fact that I don't have to capture a series of exposures to make a decent image of a landscape and spend a long time merging those exposures with hand painted masks and wondering what looks least wrong (and realizing that elements of the landscape have moved between exposures, again leading to decisions to avoid apparent conflict) is of much greater value than a small difference in detail especially at such small scales that we're talking about. I think in the D810 Nikon really got it when it concerns how to make a camera that produces beautiful images.  But for some reason I see that a lot of people missed the event ...

The D810 might be the best 24x36-camera in the world for now and for me as told above it is certainly the best 4th generation Camera Nikon makes. She is still one step in a longer development. For me as owner and extensive user of a 2nd (D70s), 3rd (D3), a 4th (D600) and a 5th (D500) Generation Nikon DSLR a lot is left to be desired for the "next D810". That lot was listed here by several people.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2016, 06:47:00 »
I dont recall seeing this link posted here

new model registered?

http://www.lightnfocus.com/new-nikon-digital-camera-registered-indonesia/
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2016, 09:14:23 »
I must say that I find Lloyd Chambers recent blog (today) of using the new Nikkor 19mm PC-E Tilt/Shift lens with the D810, which he claims is an incredible lens, using shift, to get a 73 MPx image, which he says is says is pristine and the equivalent of a MF camera/Lens. Check it out. I also read his complete description of the process in the expanded version and it is very enticing.

https://diglloyd.com/

It is very clear that 2017 is going to be the year we have been waiting around for.

Thank you for the heads up! Very positive review I must say :)
Erik Lund

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2016, 09:56:46 »
96MP?

I remember how I was wrong about higher Megapixels when the D3X (24MP) came out. I already had some trouble with my new higher resolution lens AF-S 60mm Macro and the D3, needing 1/200 of a second to gain critically sharp shots handheld. I thought: for 24 Megapixels I will need 1/500 of a second. But then, in 2011 with the D7000 and more in 2013 with the D600, I learned I have to apply better shooting technique, more practice and multiple shots at the same settings or BKT to secure critically sharp shots with the higher pixel density cameras.

The results I got with the D800E were stunning when I had a lot of light, but focussing was hard manually, esp with the super high res on my Sinar Setup. Also the files had some rough and technical feel on the pixel level just like the D7000 files that required a lot of post processing which I did not like, while the D600 files only needed a little RAW conversion to be ready for delivery. I could even take the JPEGs in many cases and I do not have to drop dead if I accidentialy switched quality from RAW to "JPEG Fine L" which happens ... The D810 has much nicer files, very similar in character to the D600 ... but not worth the upgrade in my book.

The D500 has a significantly higher pixel density than the D600 and I see that I learned in the last 3 years how to tackle that problem, So I guess I am now ready for the fifth generation High Desity Camera.

More for the wish list:

?
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

stenrasmussen

« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2016, 10:18:54 »
Re. the PC 19mm...the price ought to reflect the optical performance...which it seemingly does  8)

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2016, 19:05:02 »
One feature from the D810A  which I would like to see in the D810's successor is extended exposure times in the live view; when the light is low, the quality of the live view image is significantly reduced in the "normal" D810. By allowing lower frame rates and longer exposure times for each frame, one could get a higher quality image which is updated less frequently. This would be very useful for photography in low light.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2016, 21:42:39 »
I'd like to see the very useful IR remote release  that is present in the cheaper bodies to reappear in the big ones. It is a really good implementation.

Lose the Picbridge Crap. Please!

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2016, 22:14:24 »
I'd like to see the very useful IR remote release  that is present in the cheaper bodies to reappear in the big ones. It is a really good implementation.

Oh, I took it granted that it has the IR sensor for the remote shutter.  That's not nice.  :(
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2016, 13:17:49 »
Akira. No. The D5 and D810 and D500 "professional" Line of Cameras all work with Cable Release. And the cable release features a combination of screw and spring that caused a lot of swearing since I first found it on my D3 after enjoying tge IR solution on my D70ies

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2016, 14:04:38 »
The IR remote introduces a random delay between button press and shutter opening. I find this to be annoying and I prefer the precise timing given by the use of the 10-point connector.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2016, 14:20:49 »
The IR remote introduces a random delay between button press and shutter opening. I find this to be annoying and I prefer the precise timing given by the use of the 10-point connector.

If you need to capture critical moments, the random delay imposed by IR remote is indeed annoying.  For the static subjects like landscapes, the absence of the cable prone to be blown by the wind gives me some mental sanity.  It works really nicely for closeups, too.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2016, 16:59:59 »

I would not hold my breath waiting for that to happen. You can argue about Nikon's implementation of this feature, but it's pretty much here to stay, in some form.
Carl