Author Topic: D810 successor in the pipeline?  (Read 48335 times)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: D810 successor in the pipeline?
« Reply #75 on: December 20, 2016, 09:53:59 »
Bump!

I dont recall seeing this link posted here

new model registered?

http://www.lightnfocus.com/new-nikon-digital-camera-registered-indonesia/

Could be a D610 successor, though?
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Pistnbroke

• NG Member
« Reply #76 on: December 20, 2016, 12:33:36 »
Adding to the above ..making the camera quiet  would be good and if we cannot have built in  GPS  a quartz clock would be nice
Always listen to old people or when they die you live on in ignorance

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #77 on: December 20, 2016, 13:58:34 »
Radio or GPS controlled clocks that automagically synchrknize all of my cameras. I have it so often coming back from a shooting with two or three bodies that the clocks are not synchrknized or if they are they tend to desynchronize or on one I got UTC +1 on the other UTC +2

Orth error above intentionally uncorrected. Looks funny
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #78 on: December 20, 2016, 20:43:17 »
my wish list for the d820, or whatever they decide to call it :

• 54 or 96 mp. storage is as near to free as possible these days, but it would be nice if there was a PROPER small raw mode.
My feeling is that 96MP is a step too far at this stage. Historically, resolution has tended to increase by about 1.5x with each generation, so 54MP (6000 x 9000 pixels) would seem to be the most likely step up from 36MP. 96MP with binning to 24MP would be an interesting option, but medium format sensors have only just hit that mark, so it's unlikely we will see it in FX-sized sensors so soon.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #79 on: December 20, 2016, 22:15:15 »
Considering the marginal step-up shown on Canon 5D MkVI from MkIII, the high-res sensor on the D810 successor would be more likely to be the 42MP one.  It performs admirably on Sony A7RII and better than even Canon's 30MP sensor on MkVI does.

The AF unit should be the same as that of D5/500.

And, of course, the SnapBridge!  :D

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #80 on: December 20, 2016, 23:38:29 »
36 to 42MP is equivalent to going from 6 to 7MP ... a 17% increase in pixels, only about 8% increase linear. I'm not sure that would keep Nikon fans happy when Canon have a 50MP camera. The Sony 42MP sensor was released mid-way through the D800-810 cycle, so when the D810 is replaced, it will won't be a new sensor - my feeling is that Nikon will want something new.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #81 on: December 20, 2016, 23:46:47 »
Tge 42 Sony sensor is still the answer to all questions.

1. It outperforms the D5 in low an high ISO
2. In Sony's new half mirror incarnation it even outperforms the D5 in speed

Only problem might be it is too good for Nikon kicking her Majesty's a** too hard.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #82 on: December 21, 2016, 00:10:07 »

Well please enlighten us,,, I think you are mixing up the 24 and the 42 MP Sony A7 models,,,? Or what are you thinking?
Erik Lund

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #83 on: December 21, 2016, 00:30:59 »
The A99 II seems about 0.7 to 1 stop behind the A7RII in various dxomark measurements. The high speed (as usual) comes with a penalty in image quality. In this case a part of the story is the light diverted by the semitransparent mirror, but likely also fast sensor reads cause a penalty in dynamic range.

bjornthun

« Reply #84 on: December 21, 2016, 01:11:33 »
Well please enlighten us,,, I think you are mixing up the 24 and the 42 MP Sony A7 models,,,? Or what are you thinking?
The Sony 24mp 35mm format sensors may outperform the D5 at base ISO, but no way will it do so at higher ISO. There is more than one version of it, AFAIK, so which is compared to the D5 sensor?

I think Frank refers to the 42mp sensor, but the version in the A7RII is two years old now. The one in the A99II may be a newer version, but as Ilkka says, it's behind a mirror that take 1/3-1/2 EV of light. So the real performance of the sensor in the A99II isn't fully known.

I think that Nikon will go for more than a small bump (42mp - 36mp = 6mp) in megapixel count, and thus they will want something like a 60-70mp sensor for a D810 successor.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #85 on: December 21, 2016, 01:30:22 »

We mean the fourty-two MP sensor on Sony A7 "RII".

The D800 was replaced by D810, there was no increase of pixels.  Only the construction of the sensor and image processor has been changed.  The Sony 42MP sensor is of backlit type AND some more pixels even marginally, which is larger step than the one between D800 and 810, I think.

Also, as always, the sensor will be customized specifically for Nikon.

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #86 on: December 21, 2016, 02:26:05 »

2. In Sony's new half mirror incarnation it even outperforms the D5 in speed

Only problem might be it is too good for Nikon kicking her Majesty's a** too hard.

That's probably the reason why all PJ's are now switching for Sony ....  :o
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #87 on: December 21, 2016, 13:57:28 »
For base ISO dynamic range, the A99 II is about 1.4 EV behind the D810 and the A7R II is 0.8 EV behind the D810. (Part of this difference is the difference between ISO 64 ISO and 100, but for low ISO subjects often this difference in sensitivity doesn't matter much; for tripod based landscape you can select ISO 64 unless there is a lot of wind movement effects). At lowest equal ISO settings (nominal 100 for the D810 and A7R II; for the A99 II one has to interpolate to find the matching measured ISO which is maybe 125 to 160), the D810 is about 0.46 EV ahead of the A7R II and about 1.6 EV ahead of the A99 II. In fact the effect of the semitransparent mirror on light loss is evident in DXOMark's "measured vs. manufacturer ISO", about 0.40-0.5 stops. The rest of the differences in the measurements between the two Sony 42MP cameras are likely to be related to high speed reads.

From 3200 to 51200 the D5 is about 1 to 1.3 EV ahead of the A99 II in dynamic range at equal measured ISO settings. For many high fps applications, high ISO is needed  because long lenses are limited in f-stop, a fast shutter speed is needed to freeze the movement of the main subject, and the photography may take place in an indoor venue where artificial lights typically require boosting of the weakest (blue) channel leading to stringent test of the dynamic range of the sensor.

Either for fast or slow photography, Nikon has a very competitive solution as it is today (they also have intermediate variants such as the D750, Df). Yes, there will be new cameras in the future. However, Sony's 42MP sensor doesn't really appear to be ahead of the competition in dynamic range, either for high fps high ISO or low to medium fps, low ISO photography.  I would expect Nikon to use something else for the D810's successor. If they stay true to the strengths of this line it will be optimized for low ISO image quality and still reasonably good at mid to high ISO. For obvious reasons Nikon should not make a D810 successor with reduced dynamic range at base ISO.

JohnBrew

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #88 on: December 21, 2016, 14:35:11 »

Yes, I think this is the most important thing to keep in mind. Nikon got 36mp sensor first and so is likely to continue that trend, imo, and I believe what we will see is 54mp. Although there should be more important improvements with which to sell the camera to existing D800/810 owners. So far the D810 is the perfect camera for me but what I would like to see is expanded AF points, the present ones are much too tightly grouped.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #89 on: December 21, 2016, 15:18:38 »
We mean the fourty-two MP sensor on Sony A7 "RII".

The D800 was replaced by D810, there was no increase of pixels.  Only the construction of the sensor and image processor has been changed.  The Sony 42MP sensor is of backlit type AND some more pixels even marginally, which is larger step than the one between D800 and 810, I think.

Simply not true IMHO There where plenty other changes to the 810 also the AA filter in Sony is thick as a bottle bottom.
Erik Lund