Author Topic: D810 successor in the pipeline?  (Read 48146 times)

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: D810 successor in the pipeline?
« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2016, 17:05:58 »
The IR remote introduces a random delay between button press and shutter opening. I find this to be annoying and I prefer the precise timing given by the use of the 10-point connector.

I experience the non reaction due to non IR contact sometimes, but when it has IR contact I experience no delay at all. I never shoot time critical stuff with the IR control, I use the release buttons on camera.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #61 on: December 17, 2016, 17:14:58 »
Well, the D5 didn't get Snapbridge so perhaps the D810's successor won't, either. It doesn't seem like a good solution for high resolution files.

Rather than hope that Nikon stop Snapbridge development, I hope they get it to work decently within its limitations soon. Many people would benefit from having automatic, seamless access to screen size versions shot on DSLRs on mobile phone. For example, wedding photographers may want to be able to show some images quickly on social media. I don't do this but I know that many couples are anxious to see photos. A few highlights may be enough.

If I shoot static subjects and don't need EFCS, I often use exposure delay mode rather than a remote release.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #62 on: December 17, 2016, 17:28:34 »
WiFi tethering is no rocket science, there are working solutions like camranger on the market.

Also USB-C-cable tethering should be fast enough for a usable Smartphone or Table tethering. I use USB to connect smartphone (and PC/Notebook) and camera all the time
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #63 on: December 17, 2016, 20:28:47 »
If SnapBridge is abandoned, all the current SnapBridge-compatible cameras including D500 will lose their wifi capability altogether.  According to the explanation on the airnef website, their wifi can be switched on only through the bluetooth connection via SnapBridge.

http://www.testcams.com/airnef/

I briefly tried the airnef on a Win10 tablet with the "SnapBrige" orphaned D750.  It worked just nicely.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #64 on: December 17, 2016, 21:31:31 »
A lot of things are missing from fluid, seamless connectivity. When I shoot a wedding, I use 2-3 cameras. I am not going to have extra cables coming off the cameras and dongles hanging during the day of the shoot; it is complicated enough as it is without tripping hazards. A single phone should handle the small jpgs from all the cameras simultanously without requiring any settings/wifi/make a connection menu jumping and be connected to the internet at the sime time. I turn my cameras on and off hundreds of times during the 15-hour shoot. The connection should be unfazed and continue without interruption despite this. If I need to connect a cable to the camera, some moment will come when someone pulls from it and the camera drops off the table or similar. It is simply something I will not accept. Nikon's professional wifi accessories (WT-6A etc.) could be used but at least in the previous generation (D4/WT-5) the connection is cut off if the camera goes to standby. If the standby timer is turned off then it might work but likely battery will run out quickly, on either camera or phone or both. I totally understand what Nikon is trying with Snapbridge; to avoid all these problems of having to reconnect all the time. None of this stuff that is available today would work for me. I just use the card reader and PC.

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #65 on: December 18, 2016, 11:42:11 »
Snapbridge is a good idea; now they have to make it work. And everybody should already know that neither Bluetooth or WiFi are bulletproof solutions, and not just with Snapbridge.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #66 on: December 18, 2016, 12:19:55 »
Snapbridge is a good idea; now they have to make it work.

Yes, they do.  Otherwise, they will also ruin the KeyMission line.

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #67 on: December 18, 2016, 17:25:20 »
On the positive side, I find XQD such a huge improvement in transfer times to computer (even though my SDD limits the speed to 250MB/s, not the card).  I guess that's a lot of catching up to do for wireless transfers using any technology.  ;)

I think the SD UHS-II + XQD mixed slot combination is likely to be found in the D810's successor. Mixed slots has the advantage that any SD card can be used and many of us have those in cameras and other devices. However, I by far prefer the XQD card's rugged housing, and I'd rather not have to invest in expensive SD UHS-II cards when I'm already committed to XQD.

It would be great if the dual area split screen LV zoomed in view that is currently only selectable if the two windows are in the same axis, would be more freely selectable so that I could use it to focus tilt shots in any axis. Currently it is very useful for adjusting focus and tilt when tilting vertical landscape shots, but not useful for horizonals. Any improvement in the live view image quality would be beneficial of course. Currently it is very useful but could be better especially in low light. I would imagine improvements would transfer to video image quality as well.

Some people like a lot of custom buttons on the camera. I find the DOF preview, Fn1, Fn2, on the front side a little too much; the buttons are not in the same relative position when doing vertical shots so I have to search for the right button to find the functionality, unless I basically map Fn1 and Fn2 to do the same function, which I have in fact done. In my D5 setup, both reset the focus point to the preselected focus point of that orientation. I guess for consistency it is best if the D810's successor has the same custom buttons as the D5 so that interoperability is made easier. But I think there can be such a thing as too many custom buttons ... but this is better than none.  ;)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #68 on: December 18, 2016, 19:44:01 »
As for the buttons, the "i" button doesn't make sense to me, as the items in the "My Menu" can be customized and it can be assigned to one of the programmable buttons.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #69 on: December 18, 2016, 20:55:00 »
So now we are talking. The D810 is the best Nikon for slow photography for now but there is a lot to be desired. I wait and buy when I feel I was heared

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #70 on: December 18, 2016, 21:49:29 »
The D810 is plenty-full fast and agile even for fast paced PJ style shooting, there really is no slow anywhere.

The camera is responsive and is even capable of showing the 36 mp images on the display in a snap.

Sorry but there really is no excuse for not buying it.
Erik Lund

schwett

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • photos
« Reply #71 on: December 20, 2016, 05:26:44 »
i love my d810. i love my d500 but maybe a bit less.

my wish list for the d820, or whatever they decide to call it :

• 54 or 96 mp. storage is as near to free as possible these days, but it would be nice if there was a PROPER small raw mode.
  • no less DR than the current camera
  • AF module similar to the d500, but with as much spread on FX as possible (this is tough)
  • 5 FPS or better
  • flip-out touch screen with further improvements in CDAF speed
  • i'd prefer they lose the flash and put in it's place some type of optional EVF. i personally don't like EVFs, but i think nikon needs to do this to start exploring the future of the f-mount. i think this will likely be the last generation to be only "optical" in their finders.
  • one XQD, one SD UHS-II
  • built in GPS. (yeah right....)
  • a version of snapbridge that actually works quickly enough to use.
  • a tiny bit smaller and lighter would be OK with me

as long as it checks a couple of those boxes, i'd pay $3999 USD for it, but would be happier to pay $3499 USD.

i would add unreasonable things like user replaceable finder screens for MF, fast lenses, etc, but i don't think that's in the cards for this section of the lineup.

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #72 on: December 20, 2016, 07:51:51 »
And why not a 96Mp sensor with a possibility of 24Mp pixel binning ? The latter, to increase low light performance and / or frame rate. http://www.photometrics.com/resources/learningzone/binning.php and for persons who want to dig further into this vast matter, they should look into Nyquist frequency or even Schrödinger's cat 🐱

Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mike G

« Reply #73 on: December 20, 2016, 08:47:02 »
What a super photo, but he has his eye on you!

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #74 on: December 20, 2016, 09:42:31 »
OK since it is Christmas time;

Whish for: D5X - Should have D5 body with all electronics from D810 as is.
Erik Lund