Author Topic: PC 19mm f/4 E ED  (Read 110653 times)

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
Re: PC 19mm f/4 E ED
« Reply #120 on: November 07, 2016, 16:58:59 »
I believe you :)
Considering I will have to set up on a tripod with the 19mm to adjust tilt and shift to get everything perfect, I might as well use stitching, since that is much more just setting everything to manual decide on focus and shoot. For architecture that is ;)
Erik Lund

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #121 on: November 10, 2016, 17:01:23 »
Just got my review sample of the 19/4.

It appears to be a remarkable optic for visible light photography. A quick test indicates it does have a small hot spot in IR, though, although the general flare behaviour is kept better under control than what most wide lenses exhibit in IR.

A couple snapshots with the D500, wrong glasses on so focusing is hit and miss, mostly the latter. No Live View usage either.

Straight off camera via Photo Ninja. The newspaper front page was shot at around 30 degrees inclination so there is an exaggerated depth feeling to the image. The photo store interior (Interfoto, Oslo) was shot with ever so slight amount of upwards tilt.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #122 on: November 10, 2016, 17:07:39 »
looking very much forward to your findings!
Erik Lund

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #123 on: November 10, 2016, 23:03:41 »
Got an opportunity for a short try of the PC-E 19 mm. I am very impressed. My new 24 mm PC-E showed me that there'd be a good use for the 19 mm as well.

What i found one of the most important things (besides the ability of adjusting the tilt axis against the shift axis) ist the new shift mechanism, that brings back a little what I missed before when comparing to the old 28 mm f/3,5 PC lens, the shift mechanism of the 85 PC and 24 mm PC-E  is really annoying.

Below there is both the 24 and the 19 mm besides each other

(no more aperture ring and stop down button any more btw)
Wolfgang Rehm

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #124 on: November 11, 2016, 13:54:27 »
Bjorn, would it be possible to see how much shift the 19mm PC allows along the long dimension of the frame using an FX camera before vignetting or edge softness becomes noticeable? Thanks.

How is the close-up image quality vs. long distance? The 24 PC has a reasonable close-up capability and seems to function best at intermediate distances whereas at long distances the field curvature can be tricky to deal with (requires focusing on a particular point and stopping down quite deep). I am particularly interested in the 19mm PC to avoid this problem when photographing large buildings. The specifications of the 19mm PC show that its minimum magnification is not quite as good as the 24 PC's though.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #125 on: November 11, 2016, 15:24:06 »
I'll attend to these matters during the weekend, Ilkka. At present I'm busy with the 70-200/2.8 E.

Bjørn J

• NG Member
  • North of the Arctic Circle
« Reply #126 on: November 11, 2016, 17:03:30 »
This is one of very few new lenses that has caught my interest in a long time.
I already have the 24mm and 85mm PC-E, and I like the way they force me to slow down the photographing process.
The 19mm PC-E will certainly complement the other two, and it seems to be an excellent performer.
I want one, now.
Shame about the price though. I do have two kidneys, but need only one. Hmmm....  ;D
Bjørn Jørgensen

PedroS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #127 on: November 11, 2016, 20:03:20 »
This is one of very few new lenses that has caught my interest in a long time.
I already have the 24mm and 85mm PC-E, and I like the way they force me to slow down the photographing process.
The 19mm PC-E will certainly complement the other two, and it seems to be an excellent performer.
I want one, now.
Shame about the price though. I do have two kidneys, but need only one. Hmmm....  ;D

You still have two arms, two legs, two lungs...

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #128 on: November 13, 2016, 19:20:36 »
No amount of spare human parts can substitute for co-operative weather ...  It's rain and fog outside now, a hopeless situation for the exploration of an expensive optic the welfare of the review sample for which I'm entirely responsible while testing. I would probably never get the shimmering bulbous front clean again if subjected to the dreary inclement conditions outdoors at present.

Then, as I could not steer my curiosity away, I commenced experimenting with adding extension to the 19 PC-E. Anything from PK-11/11a or thicker would bring the plane of focus into the optical assembly itself, thus not very helpful. The K-1 did work though if focus was set away from the native near limit. However, sooner or later you get the focus plane touching the front element so be extremely careful and don't blame me if you blatantly ignore Nikon's stern advice NOT to use such an item in combination with the 19 PC-E. Getting the lens stopped down from the f/4 maximum is easy, though, by setting aperture on a camera supporting E lenses, then press the stop-down concurrently as the lens is removed from the camera. The aperture will stay put at whatever setting you selected. An insider's trick making it possible to use 'E' lenses on even the oldest of Nikons such as the F and F2 models.

Doing this with a hand-held camera indoors, and the K-1 ring added to the lens, in rather poor light is an exercise in Zen approach to the impossible.  Any way, here is the tangible proof of the impossible. (one of my staple medications with a nice Braille inscription for the visual impaired on the box). Df, 19 mm f/4 PC-E at f/8.

Don't forget this goes against ALL recommendations from the Mothership.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #129 on: December 16, 2016, 10:25:56 »
I'm disappointed that no further reviews or images has appeared in this thread ,,,

Michael mentioned in another thread that Lloyd Chambers has a posted an 'early findings' review on his Blog:

https://diglloyd.com/

You will need to pay a 60$ subscription  :o

Lloyd Chambers gives some pointers to the quality of the 19mm, and raises a few concerns, when actually shooting with it on a D810; Field curvature has a huge impact on the scheimpflug principle when applied in actual use in the field.

I don't understand that he doesn't use a lens ring like the ones from Nodal Ninja for his Medium back stitching with the D810 - I'm also surprised he doesn't use PT Gui for stitching, it's far superior to Photoshop in every way,,,
Erik Lund

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #130 on: December 16, 2016, 10:47:34 »
Bjørn Rørslett: Could you be a little more clear about the dangers of using the K-1 Ring. Of course, that is the first thing I would like to do, but I failed to grasp the possible problem of doing so. I get my copy today.

As for Lloyd Chambers, he has many pages by subscription on the 19mm PC lens, lots of photos, and how to approach balancing out the focus problems.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #131 on: December 16, 2016, 10:53:40 »
Yes he does but mainly on hindsight, since he was not aware of the field curvature for his first test images.

I find Lloyds comments on focus shift a little funny,,, Mainly the summary should be that it is one hell of a sharp lens.

Re K1 ring, what Bjørn writes is that part of the plane of focus will be inside the lens, not any danger to you or the lens :)

Congratulations on the new lens. Enjoy
Erik Lund

PedroS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #132 on: December 16, 2016, 11:09:01 »
From my understanding adding the K1 will bring the object, to be focused, so closed to the front element of the lens, that you'll probably touch it risking damage.

Anyway mine is here too, and wow  :)

Nikon has spoiled us lately with a bunch of spectacular lenses (24-70VR, 70-200E, 105 f1.4 and the gorgeous 19mm PC)

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #133 on: December 16, 2016, 11:11:38 »
Indeed Pedro!

Here is the lens ring (collar) for Canon 17mm

http://www.hartblei.de/en/canon-tse-collar.htm
Erik Lund

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #134 on: December 16, 2016, 11:22:09 »
I get it. Be careful not to touch the subject with the front element when using extension.

I have wanted a wide/angle T/S lens for years. I have bought and tried almost every ultra wide-angle (with no T/S), but the quality was not up there. The 19mm is is not ultra-wide, but wide enough to be really useful. I am glad Nikon is finally making better lenses. I am in the process of selling off all three of my PC-E lenses; they are just not corrected enough for my taste. Also selling my 14-24 and 24-70 f/2.8 lenses, and (believe it or not) my 135mm DC. I just don't use it. I am moving away from having a "museum" to having fewer lenses, but ones that are outstanding and that I actually use.

MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com