Author Topic: [Portfolio] Old Stuff  (Read 85721 times)

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
Re: Old Stuff
« Reply #90 on: July 11, 2015, 17:15:48 »
(To Clarify: This is the last photo I took prior to being arrested. The guy in the photo is an AP photographer.)
Please, dont leave us hanging, give us the story!

thx
afx
This wasn't a big deal ... or a good story. The location was Angel Stadium in Anaheim, California. The Angels, (pro baseball team), just won their division for the first time. The fans went nuts rushing onto the playing field and generally running around. Some were stealing the bases. The Anaheim Police, who were not known for either their consideration or intelligence also rushed onto the field beating up fans and Mace-ing (tear gas) youngsters. This was pretty good stuff photo-wise. I shot from the stands as I was pushing deadlines and didn't want to get Maced. On my way out of the stadium I see some plain clothed cops pushing the face of an AP photographer into the wall of a concrete tunnel. So I started shooting that. The cops handcuffed him and started pushing George out towards the stadium offices. I rushed downstairs and resumed taking photos of the arrest. I took one last photo (above), turned and very quickly started walking away when the cops grabbed me from behind and arrested me as well. The Anaheim Police thought this was the perfect opportunity to teach the media a lesson and the thing went to trial. I was found innocent, the DA dropped the charges against the AP photog.

"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala
My snaps are here: www.garyayala.com
Critiquing my snaps are always welcomed and appreciated.

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #91 on: July 11, 2015, 17:20:18 »

Los Angeles, California

Nikon FTn w/ Nikkor 85mm, Tri-X
"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #92 on: July 11, 2015, 18:01:47 »
The Anaheim Police thought this was the perfect opportunity to teach the media a lesson and the thing went to trial

I dont think photo journalists (on average) have ever been popular with the Police :)
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #93 on: July 11, 2015, 20:10:39 »
The Anaheim Police thought this was the perfect opportunity to teach the media a lesson and the thing went to trial

I dont think photo journalists (on average) have ever been popular with the Police :)

Generally, you are correct. A week after my trial one of our reporters was working on a story which didn't show Anaheim Police in a very good light, received four traffic tickets in one block.

On the flip side, a few cop asked me why I was there, (when I was handcuffed behind my back, at the stadium Police Station and all my equipment was painfully weighing down upon my wrists) ... just shook their heads in disgust with their brethren cops after I told them what happened.

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #94 on: July 11, 2015, 20:17:07 »
the stories are as fascinating as the images, thanks for taking the time to share them
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

afx

• NG Member
  • Grumpy Bavarian from Munich
    • AFXImages
« Reply #95 on: July 11, 2015, 22:14:05 »
Thanks Gary!
afx

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #96 on: July 12, 2015, 17:12:38 »
the stories are as fascinating as the images, thanks for taking the time to share them
De nada Armando. Hey, anything you want to know, I'd be happy to answer, (if I can ... if I can't, then I'll just make something up ... ;) ).

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #97 on: July 12, 2015, 17:25:17 »
Thanks Gary!
afx

If you want more details, I'll supply them.

For example, the first Space Shuttle landing ... I remember it was Winter and out here, the deserts will freeze at night. We, (I managed a credential for my cousin and he came along ... well, it was the first landing and a big event.), arrived in the middle of the night because the landing was scheduled for the early morning. We were camped out along this huge dry lake bed, freezing in total inky blackness. The coffee we took got cold real fast ... so we switched to beer. We figured that regardless of ambient temperature, cold beer was better than cold coffee.   ;D  (I don't remember where we got the beer.) FYI- Edwards AFB is about an hour ... an hour 20 minutes from downtown LA.

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #98 on: July 12, 2015, 17:27:43 »
Daily Installment:

George Putnam - Radio Personality
Rose Parade
Pasadena, California
Nikon FTn w/ Nikkor 300mm, Tri-X

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #99 on: July 12, 2015, 20:40:39 »
American style icon sterotype for my European eyes.

Absolutely love it. You never see this state of mind in the OLD world.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #100 on: July 12, 2015, 22:27:04 »
American style icon sterotype for my European eyes.

Absolutely love it. You never see this state of mind in the OLD world.

The legend of the solitary cowboy ... facing a hostile environment armed only with his wits, quick reactions and a pair of six shooters. LOL ... Those times were only for a short period of our history, especially when viewed by European chronology ... only a few minutes of time. But our western movies did make an indelible impression on the world. In California, back in the 'Old West' days there was a saying in California ... "Give me men to match my mountains". (The highest peak in the Continental United States is Mt. Whitney in California's Sierra Nevada.)

PS- I think Cervantes' knight errand pretty much duplicates our Cowboy.  ;D

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #101 on: July 13, 2015, 17:39:43 »
Up next is:

Surf - Pro Soccer club
Angel Stadium
Anaheim, California

Nikon F2 w/ Nikkor 180mm - Tri-X
(Back then even the pro-level stadiums had rotten lighting.)

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
« Reply #102 on: July 13, 2015, 19:21:27 »
Nikon F2 w/ Nikkor 180mm - Tri-X
(Back then even the pro-level stadiums had rotten lighting.)

But then B&W would mask those horrible color shifts... :-) ( I guess that was the 180mm f/2.8, quite a superb and efficient lens :-) )!
“A photograph is a moral decision taken in one eighth of a second. ” ― Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet.

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #103 on: July 13, 2015, 19:38:21 »
those were proper football outfits and haircuts :)
not like today the tight, the tattooed and the Cherokee types...

i am going to have to order the 180/2.8 ED and Erik will gently chip it for me and Bjørn will kindly provide a CPU :)
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #104 on: July 13, 2015, 20:02:12 »
the tight, the tattooed
you had me almost drop my coffee on my mac.
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za