Author Topic: Irix 15mm f/2.4  (Read 36253 times)

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
-Tristin

Harald

• NG Member
    • Flickr
Re: Irix 15mm f/2.4
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 08:25:38 »
Hi,

as i understand the Review: Optically it is not better then the Samyang. A Bit dissapointing...

Harald
Some pictures on FLICKR

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 09:08:17 »
Yes.  And doesn't look very convincing, wide open.  A pity there is no aperture-ring.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 10:49:33 »
I don't understand why people are trying to design fast (and thus oversized) superwides.  Given the excellent low-light performancce of current digital cameras, f3.5-4.0 should be fast enough and should make the lens much smaller.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Harald

• NG Member
    • Flickr
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 11:00:29 »
Hi Akira,

the lens needs to be fast for Astrophotographhy. For "normal" landscapes stichting is an Option.

Harald
Some pictures on FLICKR

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2016, 11:06:51 »
Hi Akira,

the lens needs to be fast for Astrophotographhy. For "normal" landscapes stichting is an Option.

Harald

Hi, Harald, that is well understandable.  But it is strange that no one seems to be interested in designing superwides that are slow but offer excellent image quality.  There are super wide zooms in this range but are still very big.  I'm talking about the lenses of the sizes of Ais 18/3.5, Ais 20/2.8, Ai 20/3.5 and the like.  Cosina 20/3.5 is discontinued.

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 11:23:44 »
Ais-nikkor 15mm f/3.5 tune-up and reissue ;)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2016, 12:11:03 »
The original review (in Swedish, which I read fluently) praises the lens for being sharp (they emphasise very high on-axis sharpness even wide open), well built, having low geometric distortion, and with a host of useful features such as an infinity point and the ability to lock the focus at any point. They say it is better than the usual 14-15 mm primes and compare it to the best zooms covering the range (for example, Nikkor 14-24).

It is, admittedly, rather painful to read the Google autotranslation of a language you are perfectly well able to understand yourself.

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2016, 12:28:19 »
I guess the issue now is that lenses are judged based on specifications in the initial reaction online, and to get a favourable reaction, manufacturers have to try to beat prior specs. This is seen not only in wide angles but also in tele primes (e.g. 105/1.4 replacing 105/2).

I love fast wide angles, the 20/1.8 (which is not outrageously priced) has become my favourite due to its good image quality, reliable AF and light weight. MF is a nightmare though, which is why I also have some MF lenses for slow photography. In practice the 20/1.8 is the super wide angle lens I use a lot for indoor photography, events and astro-landscape etc. I used to have the 14-24 and while excellent, due to its weight and size I didn't use it often.

However I understand that many desire for compactness and "normal" maximum apertures in prime lenses. Perhaps later these will return to fashion.

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2016, 12:33:36 »
i got dizzy just trying to understand the google translation but thanks for sharing, the images were VERY helpful in illustrating what this thing can do :o :o :o
I hope that they add a physical aperture ring on the Nikon version and make it Ai compatible ::)

BW

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Børge Wahl-Photography
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2016, 12:34:35 »
First review I have read that use the language "Swenglish". None of the pictures in the review can tell me something about the performance in extreme close ups, how it behave in low light with point light sources, corner performance etc. No real life relevance, because almost all lenses behave ok in daylight.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2016, 12:37:33 »
However I totally understand the desire for compactness and "normal" maximum apertures in prime lenses. Perhaps later these will return to fashion.

I really hope so.

I haven't used AF-S 20/1.8, but had the same impression about AF-S 24/1.8 that I had.  But when I used it for my alumni event, the large front element and big hood made some of my friends back off, even though they had been well aware that I was hobby photographer and had seen me using DLSRs.

bjornthun

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2016, 13:38:07 »
Small wide angles actually are in fashion, and you can get get them for mirrorless systems, Canon DSLRs or for Leica M. For Canon DSLRs you can get modern small wide angles, 24/2.8 IS, 28/2.8 IS and 35/2 IS, all are introduced over the last 2-3 years and with Image Stabilizers. For Sony full frame there are Zeiss Loxia 21/2.8 with a 52mm filter thread or the Sony 28/2 with a 49mm filter thread.

Oh, and there are the diminutive Voigtländers, 15/4.5, 12/5.6 and 10/5.6 in new versions, optically revised to work well both on Sony FE and Leica M full frame digital.

No shortage of modern and small wide angles! :) They're definitely in fashion.! ;)

PS! Reading Swedish-English is a bit weird, for me too. Though it's not a mother tounge for me, I have heard and read the language since my childhood. It's a very nice language, actually! :)

Harald

• NG Member
    • Flickr
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2016, 13:47:22 »
Hi,

looking at he pictures on my main display: Good to very good, but as this Irix is manufactured by Samyang and is not better then the 14mm i owned.... ;)

Harald
Some pictures on FLICKR

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2016, 13:52:51 »
Small wide angles actually are in fashion, and you can get get them for mirrorless systems, Canon DSLRs or for Leica M. For Canon DSLRs you can get modern small wide angles, 24/2.8 IS, 28/2.8 IS and 35/2 IS, all are introduced over the last 2-3 years and with Image Stabilizers. For Sony full frame there are Zeiss Loxia 21/2.8 with a 52mm filter thread or the Sony 28/2 with a 49mm filter thread.

Oh, and there are the diminutive Voigtländers, 15/4.5, 12/5.6 and 10/5.6 in new versions, optically revised to work well both on Sony FE and Leica M full frame digital.

I've explained the reason why I stick to the DLSR more than enough.  But using a mirrorless body with the dedicated optical viewfinder on top of it may be a good option.