Author Topic: Irix 15mm f/2.4  (Read 36485 times)

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Irix 15mm f/2.4
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2016, 13:53:54 »
Irix has a photostream on flickr which shows some examples of sun in the frame as well as some night shots of the Milky way.

bjornthun

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2016, 14:18:04 »
I've explained the reason why I stick to the DLSR more than enough.  But using a mirrorless body with the dedicated optical viewfinder on top of it may be a good option.

I mentiond no less than three DSLR wide angles lenses. The Canon 24/2.8 with a 58mm filter thread should fit the bill for "small" very well, particularly if you remove the lens hood, http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-24mm-f-2.8-IS-USM-Lens-Review.aspx. I could have mentioned Pentax, which have done very well in creating readonably sized DSLR primes, albeit for APS-C.

We're not talking about DSLR vs mirrorless here, at all. Want big mirrorless wide angles, go check out Zeiss Batis 18/2.8 (77mm filter) and 25/2 (67mm filter). We're talking about lens programmes, and everyone seem to offer both big and small modern wide angles, except maybe Nikon, at this time.

BW

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Børge Wahl-Photography
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2016, 14:31:12 »
Irix has a photostream on flickr which shows some examples of sun in the frame as well as some night shots of the Milky way.
Thanks!

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2016, 15:02:50 »
Not everyone can or wants to buy a camera body of an incompatible system (from what they are currently using) to be able to use a specific lens. Currently Nikon makes their compact primes with a f/1.8 maximum aperture which is a benefit compared to (say) f/2.8 but obviously it can be regarded a disadvantage as well. Personally I like Nikon's offerings but think they could add a few pancakes along the lines of the not too ancient 45/2.8 P.

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2016, 15:20:59 »
One thing that I've found is that when using a big lens to photograph people, it helps greatly to act confidently and appear in a way that it seems like you belong there and know exactly what you're doing. When I photograph people on the street, I get all kinds of reactions from smile, a curious look, and also a "no apparent reaction". I ditch the shots where it seems the subject wouldn't have liked to be photographed and mostly keep those who take it with a sense of humor or are seemingly in their thoughts, or are interacting with others.

Small cameras and lenses are more inconspicuous, for sure. But confidence and a matter of fact approach (possibly a disarming smile) helps where a tense or nervous photographer might get an equally tense or frightened response from the subjects.

I find that practicing on the street gives me additional confidence to shoot documentary images at events.

bjornthun

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2016, 15:23:38 »
Not everyone can or wants to buy a camera body of an incompatible system (from what they are currently using) to be able to use a specific lens. Currently Nikon makes their compact primes with a f/1.8 maximum aperture which is a benefit compared to (say) f/2.8 but obviously it can be regarded a disadvantage as well. Personally I like Nikon's offerings but think they could add a few pancakes along the lines of the not too ancient 45/2.8 P.
I'm very aware of thar Ilkka, and I too stick to one system. My point was also that "small and unobtrusive" is not out of fashion, hence a reference to other manufacturers.

Time to head back to the topic, the IRIX 15/2.4.

The IRIX 15/2.4 seems very reasonably priced, and hopefully it will perform. Is there any hints yet on service and support on the Irix lens(es), in case that is needed?

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2016, 15:35:27 »
I mentiond no less than three DSLR wide angles lenses. The Canon 24/2.8 with a 58mm filter thread should fit the bill for "small" very well, particularly if you remove the lens hood, http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-24mm-f-2.8-IS-USM-Lens-Review.aspx. I could have mentioned Pentax, which have done very well in creating readonably sized DSLR primes, albeit for APS-C.

We're not talking about DSLR vs mirrorless here, at all. Want big mirrorless wide angles, go check out Zeiss Batis 18/2.8 (77mm filter) and 25/2 (67mm filter). We're talking about lens programmes, and everyone seem to offer both big and small modern wide angles, except maybe Nikon, at this time.

I don't think any of 35, 28 or 24mm are superwides, maybe 24mm could be used as sperwide under circumstances, though.

Irix 15/2.4 is designed for Canon EF, NIkon F and Pentax K mount DSLRs.  It should be safe to assume that the discussion in this particular thread is based on the DSLR.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

bjornthun

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2016, 15:54:53 »
I don't think any of 35, 28 or 24mm are superwides, maybe 24mm could be used as sperwide under circumstances, though.

Irix 15/2.4 is designed for Canon EF, NIkon F and Pentax K mount DSLRs.  It should be safe to assume that the discussion in this particular thread is based on the DSLR.
No, that is not safe to assume. The lens speed of f/2.4  alone makes the Irix 15/2.4 a prime candidate for adaption to Sony mirrorless, e.g. for night photography and video. This will be particularly true if Irix can deliver cosistent quality, as opposed to Samyang.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2016, 16:01:27 »
Please, continue discussion with focus (sic!) on the lens itself, not the platform to which it is attached.

Harald

• NG Member
    • Flickr
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2016, 17:49:36 »
Hi,

Irix IS Samyang. ;) So i am hoping for a better quality Control. ;)

Harald

Harald
Some pictures on FLICKR

bjornthun

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2016, 18:01:43 »
Hi,

Irix IS Samyang. ;) So i am hoping for a better quality Control. ;)

Harald

Harald
Has that been confirmed? Samyang lenses wih proper quality control?

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2016, 18:06:42 »
Harald, you stated that already once before in this thread with no details. Could you provide a source for this information? Thanks.

Harald

• NG Member
    • Flickr
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2016, 18:31:45 »
Hi,

they are Made in Korea and both founders of Irix are the distributors for Walimex aka Samyang Poland and switzerland. It is hard to guess where it is produced. ;)

Harald
Some pictures on FLICKR

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2016, 18:36:57 »
Hi,

they are Made in Korea and both founders of Irix are the distributors for Walimex aka Samyang Poland and switzerland. It is hard to guess where it is produced. ;)

Harald

you are so smart! you can be a detective :o :o :o
looks like irix is the new vivitar ::)

if this is indeed confirmed then i hope that their QC is helluva lot better this time.

Harald

• NG Member
    • Flickr
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2016, 18:47:35 »
Hi,

i will Buy the 15mm because i know about the quality. I Love my 85mm 1.5 and had the 35 1.5. The Second One is very boring because it is nearly perfect. I sold it. ;)
I had a 14mm and it was Optically good, but focussing was a Nightmare. No Infinity stop and the Ring was not calibrated. So you had to guess... :( The Irix has a Gard Infinity stop and you can calibrate it by yourself. Waiting for Amazon to deliver.... ;) I also Hope for better quality Control: Half of the 14mm are crap and you can not repair them...

Harald
Some pictures on FLICKR