Author Topic: Irix 15mm f/2.4  (Read 36490 times)

Harald

• NG Member
    • Flickr
Re: Irix 15mm f/2.4
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2016, 18:48:58 »
Sorry, German autocorrection...

Harald
Some pictures on FLICKR

bjornthun

« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2016, 19:00:03 »
Being able to calibrate the infinity stop is very good news, since I would be using the lens with an adapter to Sony E mount. Now I wonder, if the lens uses floating elements, since that will require in theory a calibration of the adapter. This since a floating element construction relies on a properly calibrated flange.

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2016, 19:04:43 »
I really like some of the design detils such as the engraved and fluorescent markings, hopefully the lens is serviceable.

-Tristin

Harald

• NG Member
    • Flickr
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2016, 19:07:08 »
Hi Bjorn,

the adapter needs to be able to control the electronic aperture!

Harald
Some pictures on FLICKR

bjornthun

« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2016, 19:26:37 »
Hi Bjorn,

the adapter needs to be able to control the electronic aperture!

Harald
Yes, for the Canon EF version. I assume that the Nikon version is Ai-S or Ai-P, in which case a mechanical adapter will do, but EXIF and full exposure automation of the Canon version is nice. There are many Canon EF to Sony E adapters to choose from.

I will wait for further tests.

Note that Cyberphoto.se is a Swedish internet shop, when you read their test.

stenrasmussen

« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2016, 20:45:33 »
I am very keen to learn more about the Irix. Currently on my 2nd copy og the latest generation Sammy Fourteen and the problem with decentering and focus seem persistent. Will give it one more go before I order the Irix...I think.

bjornthun

« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2016, 21:46:15 »
The price in was just under 7000 SEK, so still quite favourably priced.

I wonder if an f/2.4 lens stopped down to f/2.8 will vignette less than a lens with a max aperture of f/2.8 at f/2.8. Any thoughts on this, regarding Sammy/Irix 14mm?

Tristin

• NG Member
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2016, 21:50:28 »
I wonder if an f/2.4 lens stopped down to f/2.8 will vignette less than a lens with a max aperture of f/2.8 at f/2.8.

Entirely dependent on the lens. 
-Tristin

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2016, 06:07:04 »
With many (most) lenses, closing down half a stop from wide open makes no difference to the corners - the corners are already stopped well down due to mechanical vignetting. The aperture blades don't start to intrude into the corners until stopping further, and then they only do so by trimming the extreme points of the "cats eyes". At these settings the aperture blades tend to stop down the central region only, so that it starts to "catch up" with the corners, resulting in more even illumination, and vignetting is reduced. Most lenses require stopping down at least 2 stops before the aperture blades are the only thing affecting the aperture (mechanical vignetting is eliminated), and some zooms and extreme fast lenses may need 3 stops or more.

This is also why the corners of many lenses do not improve until the lens is stopped well down.

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2016, 07:54:24 »
Already 3 pages and no one single image. Looks nice at least:

And a small video clip https://youtu.be/EJBu7BTeCu8
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2016, 10:04:39 »
The rear view of the lens has me intrigued:  is it showing the rear most lens element or is it showing a filter or the like that is covering the rear element?  As shown, there appears to be one side slightly shaved off?  Anyone know?
Hugh Gunn

Tristin

• NG Member
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2016, 10:20:52 »
Hugh, it is a gel filter.

As for the comments on why all the fast ultra-wides, Irix has an 11mm f/4 coming.
-Tristin

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2016, 11:36:44 »
The rear view of the lens has me intrigued:  is it showing the rear most lens element or is it showing a filter or the like that is covering the rear element?  As shown, there appears to be one side slightly shaved off?  Anyone know?

Here you see the gelatin filter:

Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2016, 12:11:54 »
A gel filter has lost much of its raison d'etre in the digital era, with an exception for IR and false-colour IR photography in which gels are an attractive alternative to huge front-mounted filters.

The official Irix 'Mountains & Milky Way' image intended to show the quality of the lens instead highlights uneven sharpness over the frame and clear signs of decentering. Image centre and upper left corner appear OK, but elsewhere there is frankly a lot of mush. Little chromatic nasties though. Thus, QC or lack thereof apparently is something these third-party products are troubled with.

bjornthun

« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2016, 13:17:40 »
Have a look at the street lights in the lower left section. They are elongated and become short stripes rather than point sources. The stars also show this, particularly toward the right edge. I first wondered if the exposure was too long, so it caused a beginning star trail, but the shape of the street lights have me wondering.