Author Topic: Old School Nikon Primes  (Read 86720 times)

FGAng

• NG Member
  • Mixing the old and the new Nikkors
Re: Old School Nikon Primes
« Reply #180 on: May 24, 2016, 13:39:53 »
Exquisite, John!

On another note: I was playing with the Sonnar 105mm f/2.5, using one designated 10.5cm based on Roland's link ~1963.  And I have a Nikon 105mm f/2.5 Nikkor-P.C and a Nikon 105mm f/2.5 AiS.  The newer lenses were subjectively sharper (no A-B), but the Sonnar has the really nice rendition of skin tone. 

I would post some photos here but I could not, privacy considerations.

So my feel is that if i want to shoot portrait, I would use the Sonnar 105mm, but for general shooting, like travel, it would be Gauss 105mm.

But then the usual winner for general shooting is the 75-150E... that's another story...

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #181 on: May 24, 2016, 14:10:28 »
Thanks John and FGAng.  Never tried the Sonnar 105/2.5. 

the solitaire

• NG Member
« Reply #182 on: May 24, 2016, 22:26:58 »
Ok, here goes. This is all very unscientific mind. I was only able to test one copy of each lens against each other.

The first is always the Sonnar 105mm f2,5 Nikkor-P, easiest recognisable by the silver nose, narrower scalloped focus ring, smaller rear element but also because it weighs a bit less (370 grams vs 435 for the Gauss design lens)

The 2nd image is the Gauss 105mm f2,5 Nikkor-P.C.

All shots are handheld, so the change of position and framing does make up for part of the difference in rendering between each shot. Mor ethen anything, these photos will show how close in rendering these lenses are to each other.

Next, MFD. Again the Sonnar lens first, followed by the Gauss design lens

And last but not least, this shot was the reason for my decision to keep the older Sonnar design lens and sell the Gauss design lens

Buddy

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #183 on: May 24, 2016, 22:40:47 »
Why didn't you keep both? In particular if they are found to service different purposes.

the solitaire

• NG Member
« Reply #184 on: May 24, 2016, 22:57:31 »
Initially I did keep both, but after a month or two I found that I used the Sonnar lens for portraits and bokeh play. Subjects I would otherwise photograph with the Gauss lens would be close up shots using PK rings or product shots. The Gauss lens does have marginally better sharpness in my experience. The 135mm f3,5 Nikkor-Q.C however served this purpose even better, so after I observed the situation for 2 months and I noticed one lens always comes with me while the other one always remains in the closet I decided to sell the Gauss lens.

I still have the 105mm f2,5 Nikkor-P, an AF-S 105mm f2,8G VR micro Nikkor, an 80-200 f2,8 zoom, the 135mm f2,8 and 135mm f3,5 Nikkor-Q.C so all in all the range of short/medium telephoto lenses is pretty well covered by everything else in my camera bag. All the lenses I own see regular use. I don't keep anything on the shelf because I need to manage my rather tight funds for this hobby in a way that has me sell anything I do not use in favor of buying lenses that I actually use.

The only photographic item I have too many of is film bodies. I mean, who needs a Yashica TL Electro X, 2 Nikon F, a Nikon F2, an F3 and an FM? But that's mostly sentimental value there as most of those are family heirlooms and the FM my very first camera.
Buddy

Knut S

• NG Member
  • Tromsø, Norway
« Reply #185 on: May 26, 2016, 00:50:33 »
NG, mir & Ebay is a beautiful combination. ::) 8) ;D Just got my 105mm f/2,5 Ai. What a lovely piece of glass.. ;D
Knut Seppelæ

Anirban Halder

• NG Member
  • Minneapolis, USA
« Reply #186 on: May 26, 2016, 03:33:22 »
Apart from the coating, the use of hoods on digital camera's are a benefit to prevent astray light on the sensor.

An old school prime, also the 135/3.5 Q but the C version with the HS-4 hood.
Wonderful shot John. What a background contrast and colours!
Anirban Halder

Peter McLennan

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #187 on: May 26, 2016, 22:03:40 »
Took my $100 105 f4 MF AIS Micro Nikkor out by herself the other day.  This and my similar vintage 55 f3.5 are my two highest resolving lenses.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #188 on: May 26, 2016, 22:07:32 »
Wonderful shot John. What a background contrast and colours!
Thanks Anirban. 

Bruno Schroder

• NG Supporter
  • Future is the only way forward
« Reply #189 on: May 26, 2016, 22:10:00 »
Never tried the Sonnar 105/2.5.
John, I can bring mine to Maastricht, if you want to try it.
Bruno Schröder

Bruno Schroder

• NG Supporter
  • Future is the only way forward
« Reply #190 on: May 26, 2016, 22:14:51 »
Really nice mix of colors, textures, shapes and detail, Peter. Very complex yet efficient.
Bruno Schröder

the solitaire

• NG Member
« Reply #191 on: May 27, 2016, 09:11:49 »
John, I can bring mine to Maastricht, if you want to try it.

Mine will be in the bag for Maastricht either way. It is one of my most used lenses so I would not feel well leaving it at home. Comes with the factory Ai kit installed :)
Buddy

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #192 on: May 27, 2016, 09:20:01 »
Thanks Bruno and Buddy. Perhaps a nice opportunity to see sample variation?  ;)

rosko

• Homo erectus manualfocus
  • NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #193 on: May 27, 2016, 11:04:04 »
Took my $100 105 f4 MF AIS Micro Nikkor out by herself the other day.  This and my similar vintage 55 f3.5 are my two highest resolving lenses.

Well done !

One of the best micro nikkor lenses. My favorite anyway.

I gave recently a little big present to this lens...A CPU chip, neatly and skilfully placed by Erik lung (Dr Lens) and Bjørn Rørslett. As well as PN11 to get 1/1 size.

As a result, more accurate light metering, no hassle to go into the non-CPU lens data menu (when you don't forget to go when you change a non-CPU lens, hence wrong exif datas ::)).

Peter, please note : if you wish to introduce yourself, here is the thread http://nikongear.net/revival/index.php/board,13.0.html, so we could know a little more about you. ;)

Below, the 105mm f/4 and PN11 newly chipped.

Francis Devrainne

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #194 on: May 27, 2016, 11:20:08 »

I love this pic. A very common subject and you still managed to give it a different spin. Cool.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/