Author Topic: Portraits of Camera gear.  (Read 75816 times)

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
Re: Portraits of Camera gear.
« Reply #120 on: March 16, 2016, 22:53:20 »
Moving from time series to focal length series: i.e. 4x 300mm lenses
from left to right: f5.6, f4, f2.8, f2
(750gr, 1450gr, 3100gr, 7100gr)
No f4.5?   

Andy

• NG Member
« Reply #121 on: March 16, 2016, 23:35:33 »
No f4.5?

First and second from the left

300mm

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #122 on: March 16, 2016, 23:41:44 »
Ah, thanks.  I somehow missed that picture. A large collection, looks super.

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #123 on: March 16, 2016, 23:43:20 »
Andy, Andy, Andy...  ;D
What a collection!
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #124 on: March 16, 2016, 23:45:54 »
No 300 mm f/4.5 ED non-IF ??

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #125 on: March 16, 2016, 23:59:53 »
I bought a 300/4.5 ED non-IF on ebay three years ago. Tracking showed it got as far as Auckland airport, two failed attempts at delivery (?!?!), then returned never to be seen again. Got a refund luckily.

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #126 on: March 17, 2016, 00:44:16 »

The cute little 300 mm f/4 E PF is missing from that lineup...
Øivind Tøien

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #127 on: March 17, 2016, 01:10:02 »
Very nice kit you have there ... CPU conversions all look very neat, maybe I should do the same with some of mine.
You seem to prefer short teles, I'd be tempted to add an AI 50/1.8 (the extra speed over the 55/3.5 is sometimes useful) and an AI 20/3.5 to fill out your wide range a bit more :)

Thanks Roland, adding cpu is really rewarding as the lenses are used, not only collected and allows freedom to use without limitations on both consumer and higher end bodies. Portability/compactness is cruicial for me in selection of the short teles; the longer range is now covered by the 300 f/4 PF/TC-14E, although I have so far kept my AF 300 mm f/4 as backup. I do have a 50 f/2 K which I left unchipped so far due to the non-linear aperture and also because I tend to use the AFS 50 f/1.8 instead, which will then exchange space with the 55mm in the bag when needed. The very wide end is covered by my 12-24mm workhorse; my AF 20mm f/2.8 sees very little use these days, nor the AF 60mm; these were dedicated to underwater photography in the film days.
Øivind Tøien

Andy

• NG Member
« Reply #128 on: March 17, 2016, 01:28:32 »
John: You didn't "miss" anything. Haven't shown the picture before. Just responded to your question with this old photo.
Bjorn: No, I don't have the non-IF ED. The AiS IF ED is not in the photo. I probably forgot it.
Roland: What a story. Glad you got your money back.
Oivind: The photo was shot a few years ago. The PF wasn't around then. Today, I would definitely add it. It is a cute little and well performing lens.

If I find a decent Ai non-IF ED plus a F 300mm/4.5 P over time, I could do a little 300mm comparison - as all optical designs of 300mm Nikkor prime lenses over 52 years (1964-2016) would then be available :) (except the Schottky prototype :().

rgds, Andy

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #129 on: March 17, 2016, 08:03:50 »
This is useful to know...

I can tell my wife, "Yeah- but THIS guy has almost 1000 lenses!"
Not sure you can use me to justify your collection... I don't own all these, just collect info about them. I do have well over 100 lenses though...
If you want to see a big collection look at Richard deStoutz's site instead: http://www.destoutz.ch/nikon-f.html :)

null

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #130 on: March 17, 2016, 09:37:09 »
Not sure you can use me to justify your collection... I don't own all these, just collect info about them. I do have well over 100 lenses though...
If you want to see a big collection look at Richard deStoutz's site instead: http://www.destoutz.ch/nikon-f.html :)

I'm not showing her this part of the conversation....

I've visited the site above, very useful information. I started an Excel spreadsheet but need to update it. Need to break it down by mount, F-Mount, LTM, Contax RF, S-Mount, Retina mount, etc.

df_Xenon_50_f19 by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

Retina lenses work on the F-Mount via the Deckel adapters, this 50/1.9 Xenon is a classic 1-2-2-1 double-Gauss.

Gunston Hall, Halloween by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

Classic 50s German rendering.

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Member
  • Aarhus, Denmark
« Reply #131 on: March 17, 2016, 09:48:37 »
Wow - that's an insane collection!
Jørgen Ramskov

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #132 on: March 17, 2016, 09:58:48 »
Apparently he collects a number of versions of the same lens.

I do noted quite a few lenses owned by me not in his collection :D Thus there is hope for the common man in the end.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #133 on: March 17, 2016, 10:18:09 »
Images taken with the lens? Here we go.
D700, f2, 1/4 sec, ISO 200, Please don't ask which tripod it was on :)
<Click here> for full D700 resolution - unprocessed

Andy

WOW. This is a lens to own. Now I have to find some "assistant" to carry it for me... *ggg*
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #134 on: March 17, 2016, 10:33:32 »
WOW. I am not into collecting myself, trying to reduce my material possession to the bare minimum, focussing my time on knowledge, abilities and friendship...

BUT: I enjoy every post of this collector's thread very much. Keep them coming. I am really really fascinated!

Bjørn: I am so happy you finally found a 24/f=2 Ai to love ... I am not happy to have sold mine ... would sure use it more these days as the 1.4/24G is such a burden to carry (such a gem from the resuts side though):

Here are some of my past sales pages: http://fotokontext.de/vk_html/

The later one's are better than the earlier one's: http://fotokontext.de/vk_html/1.4_85mm.html
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/