Author Topic: Footage of a Nippon Kogaku Factory in 1944  (Read 2757 times)

RonVol

• NG Member
  • Fierce Koala Bear of the Great Southern Land
Footage of a Nippon Kogaku Factory in 1944
« on: August 04, 2016, 01:07:07 »
Here's something I've been working on that I thought might be of interest to some of you - https://youtu.be/8PE7KKeYTek
It's not quite finished yet.
The footage is made up of excerpts taken from a Japanese war-time film. The film has a patriotic agenda and is titled 'Ichiban Utsukushiku' (The Most Beautiful). Directed & written by Akira Kurosawa, the footage shows what an optics factory and the working conditions looked like in the 1940s.
The workers appear to be making trench-binoculars.
The film was shot between January and March 1944, largely at the Nippon Kogaku Totsuka factory, Yokohama City. 
The factory was completely destroyed by fire as a result of US bombing raids on Feb. 25, 1945.

Woodley Willie

• Monkey See, Monkey Do, Monkey Do Again...
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Footage of a Nippon Kogaku Factory in 1944
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 12:34:01 »
Extraordinary!
Thanks for your work. 
Wonder what this does?

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 12:39:25 »
Very interesting.  I cannot understand the words, but it does not seem like a typical wartime propaganda film.  A lot of the workers stand around chatting, until the supervisor turns up.  One worker has a personal breakdown.  Another is distracted from her work by the noise of colleagues chatting.  At other times the workers are diligent and hard working.

Perhaps Akira would be willing to give some comment and explanation.
Anthony Macaulay

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 18:46:37 »
Unbelievable: the great Kurosawa of the Seven Samurais, Kagemusha.... and many others
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 19:23:15 »
Thanks for sharing, very interesting, hope we get some sort of translation.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 22:28:17 »
I've only known some of the most popular films by Kurosawa, and never heard of this one.

According to the Japanese Wikipedia, the plot of the movie is something like this:

The Toa Kogaku (the fictitious name in the film.  "Toa" means "Eastern Asia") decided to increase the quantity of production twice for the male workers and 1.5 times more for the female workers, which meant that the female workers now had to produce half as much products as the male workers do.  But Tsuru Watanabe, the leader of the female team, insisted that the female workers should produce 2/3 as much.  That goal to strive for turned out to be very hard to achieve, and caused various conflicts among the female workers, which resulted in the decrease of their production rate that had increased initially.  The arduousness was finally conquered by the hard efforts to solve various problems on their own and with the help of their dorm mother and their bosses.

Obviously this is one of many propaganda films made during the war time, but Kurosawa allegedly admitted in an interview long after the war that there had been an implied antiwar message in the film.  The title would be translated "Most Beautifully".

Most of the lines heard in this excerpts are usual words of encouragements towards the struggling workers.  Mrs. Watanabe was crying during the work because she had learned the passing of one of her parents, which apparently symbolized the dedications of them for the nation.  The workers came from various parts of Japan and lived together in an dormitory near the factory.

Trivia: in 1945, Kurosawa married with the actress Yoko Yaguchi who had starred the film by playing the role of Tsuru Watanabe.

Thanks, Ron, for your effort and info!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 22:42:35 »
Great work Ron.   Thanks for the detailed explanation, Akira.  I am a big fan of Kurosawa's movies, this is  unique footage, beautiful.

RonVol

• NG Member
  • Fierce Koala Bear of the Great Southern Land
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 23:28:57 »
Thanks to those offering positive feedback.

Also, thanks Akira for the explanations and translation.
I have the full movie with English subtitles, which is available for purchase from the links I show on the YouTube page.

Interestingly (but not surprisingly); YouTube has served me with a Copyright infringement notice, on behalf of the film's distributor. YouTube's algorithms are very efficient at detecting offending content; within 3 minutes of the footage having been uploaded, I got the notice. I've filed a counter 'fair use' claim, the distributor has 30 days to respond.

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2016, 01:30:00 »
it had the vibe of  a communist propaganda movie from china or north korea :o :o :o

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2016, 14:02:53 »
Thanks for the information, Akira.  I have to say I think it is a well made movie, and not, to my mind, at all like the risible Chinese or NK propaganda.
Anthony Macaulay