Author Topic: IR Conversion bodies (which one?)  (Read 28894 times)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: IR Conversion bodies (which one?)
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2016, 14:49:25 »
By the way, Rick,

A stock D40 can be used for IR without modification, although you need a tripod and the exposure time will be at least several seconds.  This image was shot with a stock D40, K Nikkor 28/3.5 and Fuji tri acetyl cellulose IR90 filter.  ISO400, 10 sec., aperture was set to f8.0 or 11.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2016, 14:51:34 »
This is how the unprocessed NEF data looks like (only converted to JPEG and resized).

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2016, 17:49:24 »
Akira, the reddish low-contrast files should not put people away from making excellent IR photos. One just has to remember that digital IR is not anything like what we might have seen as the "norm" from film in the old days.

A soft, low-contrast file is a perfect starting point for the processing into an IR image, whether it be colour or b/w.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2016, 17:58:09 »
Jørgen, thanks to this thread I not only discovered more D40X cameras in my possession than I had expected - also found an epiphany that the "full-spectrum" D40x will allow me to emulate the false colour rendition of IE 2443 Ektachrome at least as well as by using the Fuji S3 Pro. Now, that is excellent news because processing the RAFs from the Fuji is a nightmare since almost no software will deal with them, and among the very few that do, even fewer pay attention to the peculiar S-R pixel structure of the Fuji sensor.

In contrast, ASP 2.4 allows me a quick and easy processing of the D40X NEFs. If extra sharpness is required, I can do a parallel processing in PhotoNinja and merge the results later.

It does not matter really that there is no GPS with the D40x as the Fuji also lacks this feature and has to be synchronised with a GPS logger anyway. Between having files that allow me proper false-colour emulation, and a camera with GPS (D5300) but restricted false-colour support, I take the first option any day. That is of course if I'm in false-colour IR mode of operation, so the D5300 still goes strong on its own.

BW

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Børge Wahl-Photography
« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2016, 17:59:16 »
A bit OT, and with the risk of sounding stupid, what filters is needed on the lens after a UV/Vis/IR conversion of a camera? That is if one want to take pictures in the visible spectrum?

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2016, 18:04:24 »
For a camera with built-in IR filtration, the ability to shoot in visible basically is lost. Same applies to the much more uncommon variant in which the camera has a UV bandpass filter inside.

For "full spectrum" cameras, ie. those without any internal filter only clear glass or a quartz window, you need a UV/IR cut filter over the lens and probably either a colour balancing filter like BG-38 or its ilk. You can forego the colour balance if you shoot a Colorchecker Passport etc. and build a session profile from it.

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
« Reply #66 on: March 11, 2016, 18:34:38 »
I'm glad I could help Bjørn :D
Jørgen Ramskov

BW

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Børge Wahl-Photography
« Reply #67 on: March 11, 2016, 19:14:06 »
Thank you Bjørn. Thats what I thought, but it`s always nice to get a well referenced confirmation :)

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #68 on: March 11, 2016, 19:45:23 »
Bjørn, What filtration on a full-spectrum [,not a Fuji S-3,] camera would allow the user to emulate the color mapping of the old Ektachrome Infrared EIR film?  I remember that Kodak asked for a minus-blue filter;  would this be the starting point for EIR simulation?
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #69 on: March 11, 2016, 21:09:44 »
Akira, the reddish low-contrast files should not put people away from making excellent IR photos. One just has to remember that digital IR is not anything like what we might have seen as the "norm" from film in the old days.

A soft, low-contrast file is a perfect starting point for the processing into an IR image, whether it be colour or b/w.

Bjørn, I know.  I hadn't just been able to learn proper method to make colourful IR images from this pinkish RAW files.  But I found that all R, G and B channels can put out almost equal data when used with IR84 and denser filters, so B&W conversion can yield the images of higher resolution than the false-color processing.

JJChan

• JJ Chan
  • NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #70 on: March 12, 2016, 12:35:23 »
Bjørn, I know.  I hadn't just been able to learn proper method to make colourful IR images from this pinkish RAW files.  But I found that all R, G and B channels can put out almost equal data when used with IR84 and denser filters, so B&W conversion can yield the images of higher resolution than the false-color processing.
Akira - great shot with the mirror!

I have so little idea of processing that I don't know how to make colourful IR images either apart from choosing a white balance point.

I too had a play with uncoverted D100 using filter. Focus was using hyperfocal scale and hoping it was in focus. I think I had got the idea for messing around with IR after reading Naturfoto site but never got the crispness that Bjorn R got and gave up.

First straight out of camera and the next with selected white point. 2005, San Francisco from my hotel room: AFD 24mm ISO200 1/8s @f7.1 with Hoya R25 filter

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #71 on: March 12, 2016, 13:17:04 »
JJ, thanks!

This is my weirdest color IR image I could get from the ancient unmodified D2H (sorry to be off-topic).  I cannot locate the original unedited NEF.  I re-edit the already processed NEF.  I tweaked hue and color temperature, and enhanced micro contrast using the "clarity" slider of CC2015.  If I remember correctly, the lens used was Ai (or Ai modified) 28/3.5.

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2016, 13:48:11 »
Yeah, having seen the DIY tutorials on Lifepixel, it sounds like an OK price. I don't know what Protech will sell the filter for, but given the price LifePixel wants, I think it will be at least as cheap to simply get Protech to handle it all.
Protech wants 55GBP for the filter + 10GPB for shipping. Fair price, but put together with the price of the conversion (done locally here), it's about the same price as getting them to do it.
Jørgen Ramskov

JJChan

• JJ Chan
  • NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #73 on: March 16, 2016, 13:03:09 »
Protech wants 55GBP for the filter + 10GPB for shipping. Fair price, but put together with the price of the conversion (done locally here), it's about the same price as getting them to do it.

Jørgen
I'm not affiliated with this crowd but they do sell the glass fairly cheap.
http://stores.ebay.com.au/JJCAMERA?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

I replaced my D200 with 665nm filter from them (paid A$66) and DIY through lifepixel website. I think its well worth doing and not super difficult

JJ

View from my front gate this AM

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
« Reply #74 on: March 16, 2016, 18:01:07 »
That's a pretty good price, but when you add the taxes and shipping I will incur to import it from Australia, it's not quite as good a price.
Jørgen Ramskov