Author Topic: IR Conversion bodies (which one?)  (Read 28786 times)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: IR Conversion bodies (which one?)
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2016, 18:27:09 »
Akira, can you elaborate on the differences to be expected between the VR and non-VR versions of the 18-55mm lens? I've only tried the VR and did not notice anything wrong.

Olivier, so far as I remember, the non-VR version was the first 18-55 kit lens that became know to be a good IR performer.  I just haven't heard about any info on any VR version.  So, if you have good experience with the VR version, the info is new to me.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Olivier

• NG Member
  • Olivier Anthony
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2016, 18:57:15 »
Well it is just one data point but the lens did not disappoint me!

Chip Chipowski

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2016, 18:03:23 »
I have good experience with 18-55 VRii on a D200 IR conversion.  It works great and I have not seen any hot spot or focus issues.

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2016, 16:30:14 »
Well, I've just paid $15 for friends old d40x (he upgraded to a used D7000). Not sure when I will get it, but I guess the next step is to get a lens for it and figure out which filter to buy.
Jørgen Ramskov

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2016, 18:37:24 »
Very good Jørgen, it should work out fine in IR ;)
Erik Lund

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2016, 19:29:00 »
The D40X is a lovely and endearing small camera and has proven itself very robust under real field conditions as well.

As there is no aperture follower, you need either AFS lenses or "chipped" manual lenses to get full control over the operation. The old AF screwdriver type will meter and otherwise function fully normal, but there will be no AF.

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2016, 19:55:39 »
My plan is to this as cheap as possible :)

I'll probably buy an 18-55 kit lens as suggested above.

Looking at http://www.lifepixel.com/infrared-filters-choices I'm towards the "Super Color Infrared (590nm)" filter, but I would be happy to hear some advice? Can I buy these filters somewhere in EU to avoid the hassle of customs fees?

Erik: I will need someone to do the conversion as well. Do you know if the local DFA service center (at Goecker.dk in Aarhus) will be able to do it?
Jørgen Ramskov

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2016, 20:30:55 »
If you sweet talk them ;) They can do it, they just cant give you any warranty after they do it,,,
Erik Lund

BEZ

• NG Member
  • RC51
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2016, 20:48:13 »

Looking at http://www.lifepixel.com/infrared-filters-choices I'm towards the "Super Color Infrared (590nm)" filter, but I would be happy to hear some advice? Can I buy these filters somewhere in EU to avoid the hassle of customs

Jørgen,
I have used lifepixel but to save "customs hassle" had my last conversion done at   http://www.protechrepairs.co.uk/

I have been very happy with them, and the filters used are the same as lifepixel

Cheers
Bez

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2016, 22:06:38 »
Jørgen,
I have used lifepixel but to save "customs hassle" had my last conversion done at   http://www.protechrepairs.co.uk/

I have been very happy with them, and the filters used are the same as lifepixel

Cheers

I'm looking for an European based company, but they have steep prices. :(
Chris Dees

BW

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Børge Wahl-Photography
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2016, 22:25:05 »
My plan is to this as cheap as possible :)

I'll probably buy an 18-55 kit lens as suggested above.

Looking at http://www.lifepixel.com/infrared-filters-choices I'm towards the "Super Color Infrared (590nm)" filter, but I would be happy to hear some advice? Can I buy these filters somewhere in EU to avoid the hassle of customs fees?

Erik: I will need someone to do the conversion as well. Do you know if the local DFA service center (at Goecker.dk in Aarhus) will be able to do it?

I had an Olympus epl5 converted with the "supercolor" filter, done at Lifepixel. I ordered the camera from B&H and they sent it to lifepixel. My nephew brought it back after a stay in the US. It served me well. The shutter broke down and Olympus changed it for me at almost no cost. They did however comment that the sensor had been tampered with 8)

BEZ

• NG Member
  • RC51
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2016, 23:39:56 »
I'm looking for an European based company, but they have steep prices. :(

Chris,
Protec are cheaper than Advanced Camera and offer an equal service. Lifepixel works out much more expensive than both shipping to England. There are some cheap services on ebay but they will  not confirm the source of their filters.

I settled on Protec and have been very happy with my two recently converted cameras.

Cheers
Bez

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2016, 09:41:17 »
Fantastic image Børge!
Thanks for the links and info!
Erik Lund

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2016, 10:33:39 »
That is a great image Børge!

I have contacted Protec. I don't know whether I will simply ship the camera to them or I will buy a filter and get someone locally to do it for me. No doubt the most expensive part of this will be the filter + conversion.

* Thanks Bjørn for making me aware of the mistake, name corrected.
Jørgen Ramskov

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2016, 10:57:19 »
Børge will be pleased to attribute the miraculous spider image to him .:D