Author Topic: Nikon D5600  (Read 13747 times)

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
Re: Nikon D5600
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2016, 10:07:18 »
Bjørn, when you in the initial post wrote that "the D5500 remains the pinnacle in the D5xxx series, for better or worse. At least it makes a nice IR camera for me ... And with an updated aGPS file loaded, its GPS tagging works pretty well too", you actually meant the D5300, right?
Øivind Tøien

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2016, 10:08:55 »
The D5600 accepts a remote in the GPS port: " Wireless remote controllers: WR-1, WR-R10 (available separately). Remote cords: MC-DC2 (available separately). GPS units: GP-1/GP-1A (available separately)"

I understand that if you want to use Nikon's GPS device, then the port would likely not be available for remote triggering, but if the GPS info comes through other channels (or if you don't need it), then MC-DC2 or WR-R10/WR-T10  can be used to trigger the camera.

I use the WR-R10 as a radio transmitter for flash control now with the SB-5000 (on radio AWL compatible cameras; I didn't find information in the specifications on the D5600's compatibility with this system; probably then not compatible) as well as for remote triggering my cameras when it is so cold that the cord of a cable release becomes too stiff. To me it seems very good that this trigger works as a wireless remote trigger with most cameras.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2016, 10:14:45 »
Ilkka, you probably realize that no one would like something as flimsy as WR-R10 sticking out from the side of a camera.  It also makes the tripod work awkward, especially in the portrait orientation.  In addition, it interferes with an L-bracket.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2016, 10:27:45 »
Bjørn, when you in the initial post wrote that "the D5500 remains the pinnacle in the D5xxx series, for better or worse. At least it makes a nice IR camera for me ... And with an updated aGPS file loaded, its GPS tagging works pretty well too", you actually meant the D5300, right?

Yes, my bad. I'll go back and edit to remove any doubt.

The red camera in front of me is labelled D5300. It is the only one of the D5xxx series I can recommend. Not mandatory to have it in a red version, though.

I perused some comparisons on web sites that claimed D5600 supports GPS via the USB port. If this claim holds, one should be able to use a suitable Foolography device instead of the awkward GP-1/1A from Nikon. No cables. It would still be possible, although inconvenient,  to use a dedicated cable release through the Foolography unit.

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2016, 11:16:56 »
Ilkka, you probably realize that no one would like something as flimsy as WR-R10 sticking out from the side of a camera.  It also makes the tripod work awkward, especially in the portrait orientation.  In addition, it interferes with an L-bracket.

Ok, the port is in an awkward place, but so are all the ports if one is to use an L bracket. Still, normally the L brackets can be mounted in such a way that there is a couple of centimeters space between the camera body's left side (port side) and the bracket so there should be enough space for the WR-R10 if the bracket is properly designed for the camera. After the L bracket has been mounted, it should be able to protect the WR-R10 from being bent or hit.

I don't have any problem keeping the WR-R10+A10 mounted on my D810 but it mounts to the 10-point connector in the front. There is no interference with my L bracket. I see it more convenient than using a cable release because I don't have to wrap the cable around the camera or lens when putting it in the bag. I can see that a small device or cable sticking from the GPS port from the left side is an inconvenience especially when packing it into a bag.

For me, optical triggering is not a good solution because there is a significant and inconsistent delay between trigger press and actual actuation of the shutter. So I would always prefer electrical or radio based trigger to an optical one.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2016, 12:09:11 »
D800/810 and higher models are designed for more advanced usage.  An accessory port on the front is more convenient and interference-free.  Canon moved the accessory port from the side to the front on 5D MkVI for the same reason.

I'm not big fan of the mini/micro USB and HDMI ports for the outdoor use anyway.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2016, 12:40:49 »
The red camera in front of me is labelled D5300. It is the only one of the D5xxx series I can recommend. Not mandatory to have it in a red version, though.

For those who don't need GPS, D5500 is also worth considering.  It is fully compatible with the new AF-P lenses (with the latest firmware) and retains the IR remote sensor.  Yes, you can choose a RED one, too!