Author Topic: Has anyone compared nikon 24mm 1.4G and 1.8G? (and sigma 24mm art perhaps)  (Read 30634 times)

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
Thanks Sten!

I was not aware that most of these new 1.8 lenses had Nano coating - Interesting!

It appears that only 35mm 1.8 is missing it's Nano...

Often I have had difficulties at making the 24mm 1.4 AFS do 'stars' from bright lights at night seems like the Nano coating is too effective suppressing the 'star' flare might not be the coating but the optics...
Erik Lund

stenrasmussen

Thanks Sten!

I was not aware that most of these new 1.8 lenses had Nano coating - Interesting!

It appears that only 35mm 1.8 is missing it's Nano...

Often I have had difficulties at making the 24mm 1.4 AFS do 'stars' from bright lights at night seems like the Nano coating is too effective suppressing the 'star' flare might not be the coating but the optics...

The lower 3...20-24-28 are being looked after by the Nano. Wide ones need all the flare o'fighting they can I guess.
The Nano does what it's supposed to and stars are helped out by 7 blades (as far as I can tell).

PeterN

• NG Member
Thank you, Sten for your evaluation! Very helpful indeed.

Regarding CA: I am quite impressed by the performance of my copy. Same for bokeh.
I can't wait to try the Nikon. It will arrive today so hopefully I can do some shooting this weekend.
Peter

stenrasmussen

Update: I now have the lenses until Monday so if there are any specific requests for tests I will try and do them.

Almass

Update: I now have the lenses until Monday so if there are any specific requests for tests I will try and do them.

In case you have some free time. It would be great to check:

1- AF in low light - keepers rate

2- Sigma compatibility with Nikon CLS system and or any other strobes (wireless)

I have issue with both above points.

stenrasmussen

In case you have some free time. It would be great to check:

1- AF in low light - keepers rate

2- Sigma compatibility with Nikon CLS system and or any other strobes (wireless)

I have issue with both above points.

Have still to do more testing but so far I'd say the teo lenses are about equal wrt. low light AF allowance. I am not a CLS person so cannot judge this...sorry.

stenrasmussen

I haven't gone through all test shots in detail bit browsing through them I think it's safe to say:
- The Nikkor is sharper towards the perimeter of the image circle.
- Coma is pretty much the same (i.e. not absent), and both lenses clean up around f/4 with the Sigma perhaps slightly better.

Update: Picture of coma test at f/1.8 attached.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Today, I had a weak moment and by a curious coincidence a 24/1.8 Nikkor made its way in to my bag. Oh well.

PeterN

• NG Member
The mind is weak. The finger is strong.

Congratulations!
Peter

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Today, I had a weak moment and by a curious coincidence a 24/1.8 Nikkor made its way in to my bag. Oh well.

That makes me concerned.  Many of your photographic fields are not for the faint-hearted, if I remember correctly...
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
Surprised and shocked at the same time :D
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

stenrasmussen

We should not be surprised. The Bear still has room in his house for a lens or two. Besides, he is known to supply us with his expert findings in the optical world.

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
I am sure Bjørn has a valid explanation as to why buy the 24/1.8G when you possess the 24/1.4G and numerous other 24mm lenses :D
But I agree with you Sten, we'll get to know how it works in the field thanks to our Bjørn!

Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser

oh cool! Mine arrived yesterday. Looks like a nice lens. Did you get it at the usual place?(Cannot recall the name just now. But where I bought the rolling bag.)

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany

Could happen to me anytime. But I sure would fall for the 1.8/35mm
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/