Author Topic: Has anyone compared nikon 24mm 1.4G and 1.8G? (and sigma 24mm art perhaps)  (Read 30561 times)

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
I see nothing wrong with the bokeh!
Of course, the first image is my favorite :)
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

PeterN

• NG Member
I agree. It looks pretty good!

I now have the Sigma 24 as well. Haven't used it yet. If I don't like I can return it for the Nikon.

I could 't find a good argument to spend 1000 euros more on the nikon 24/1.4.
I don't use it in studio/multiple strobe setting so I took the risk. It seems an acceptable risk ;-)
Peter

PeterN

• NG Member
Quick update after quick test sigma 24mm. My copy has the following characteristics:

1. It hunts more/focuses (much) slower than the 35mm art lens in low light.
2. suffers from front-focusing
3. heavy vignetting up to f/4 (but 35mm has that as well)
4. sharpness comparable to (or a bit less than) 35mm art lens.
5. and, most surprisingly, no (let me be carefully: hardly any) CA.
6. pleasing (or acceptable, depending on your preference) color and bokeh rendering although the "bubbles" are not perfectly round.
7. did not check distortion.

I am still hesitating if I should trade it for one of the Nikon 24mm's because of the focusing. But the lack of CA may offset that disadvantage.
Peter

PeterN

• NG Member
You just beat me with posting the link. ;-)
DxO tests are not everything but I am really going to think hard about replacing the sigma by the 1.8
Peter

Ron Scubadiver

• NG Member
  • Renegade Street Photographer
f/1.8 is lighter and you will have well over $1000 left over for other purposes.  I have the 28mm f/1.8 and like it a lot.  However, I don't try to use it for thin DOF shots at all.  That is so much easier to do with a 50mm.  Do what you like, but the wide angle perspective does not seem to be there (for me) when going in close and wide open.  Some famous photographers are really in love with a 24/50 combo.

Almass

It seems that the Nikon 24/1.8G trounces both the Nikon 24/1.4G and the Sigma 24/1.4

You should read this Dxo test:

http://www.dxomark.com/Reviews/Nikon-AF-S-24mm-f-1.8G-ED-Review-High-quality-wide-angle-lens-for-landscape-and-architecture-photography

That's if you believe Dxo..... 8)

PeterN

• NG Member
It seems that the Nikon 24/1.8G trounces both the Nikon 24/1.4G and the Sigma 24/1.4

You should read this Dxo test:

http://www.dxomark.com/Reviews/Nikon-AF-S-24mm-f-1.8G-ED-Review-High-quality-wide-angle-lens-for-landscape-and-architecture-photography

That's if you believe Dxo..... 8)

I am somewhat suspicious of DxO mark and don't understand MTF charts (more specifically, I find them limiting). I prefer to see how a lens performs in real shooting for my style of photography. Nevertheless, I can never resist the temptation to look at the charts. ;-)

Based on a brief test I did with the sigma 24mm 1.4 lens, I brought it back. What I liked was the OOF rendering and especially the lack of CA. Sharpness was fine but not stellar. What I did not like was the focus speed in low light. Since it also suffered from a severe frontfocusing, I would have been easy to correct that but I began to think my copy did not belong to the best ones out there. The DxO test took the final 5% of my hesitation away.

I am now waiting for the Nikon 1.8G to arrive. I don't need the 1.4 for this focal length so I did not want to spend the extra 1000 euros/dollars. If it would be my bread and butter lens, the situation may have been different.  I am really curious how the 1.8G performs.

Peter

Peter Forsell

• NG Member
  • A Cunning Linguist
I'm following this thread with interest. Please report back when the lens arrives.

stenrasmussen

I got to capture a few "test-shots" yesterday, comparing the Nikkor 24/1.8G and Sigma 24/1.4A. Will post some pictures soon.
Initial thoughts: I'd get the Nikkor over the Sigma. I think the bokeh is just as good and sharpness towards the perimeter seemingly better.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Do that, Sten. I'm curious as to the results. The 24/1.8 Nikkor is on my short list.

Almass

I think you will prefer the Nikon 24/1.8G.

The Sigma is too iffy AF and many missed shots......when I tried it and similar to all Sigma new lenses....it it is the reverse engineering fail.

If I did not have the Nikon 24/1.4G glued on my camera. I would get the Nikon 24/1.8G

No distortion with my 24/1.4G with the Tuareg people.

PeterN

• NG Member
Then I am happy I switched to the Nikon 24mm 1.8G. ;-)

Perhaps I was lucky with the 35mm art lens. My copy focuses fast, also in low light, does not have issues with flash and I like the output. So I definitely intend to keep that one.
Peter

stenrasmussen

Not to drag third partier down but I have shot thousands of shots with the Tamron 24-70/2.8VC in low light (typically ISO 8000, f/3.2, 1/250s) and there is something a liiiiittle bit nervous about its AF behaviour. Will see if I can test the Nikkor/Sigma in low light as well.

PeterN

• NG Member
Not to drag third partier down but I have shot thousands of shots with the Tamron 24-70/2.8VC in low light (typically ISO 8000, f/3.2, 1/250s) and there is something a liiiiittle bit nervous about its AF behaviour. Will see if I can test the Nikkor/Sigma in low light as well.

Looking forward to seeing the results!
Peter