Author Topic: Has anyone compared nikon 24mm 1.4G and 1.8G? (and sigma 24mm art perhaps)  (Read 30434 times)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Today, I had a weak moment and by a curious coincidence a 24/1.8 Nikkor made its way in to my bag. Oh well.

oh cool! Mine arrived yesterday. Looks like a nice lens. Did you get it at the usual place?(Cannot recall the name just now. But where I bought the rolling bag.)

Yes. Same place (Interfoto). The lens has been tested and looks to be a fine performer. Sharp wide open too.

frankv

• NG Supporter
  • I'm in it for the music!
As a DX shooter I have been looking foreward to this. (Actually a DX 24mm would make a lot of sense, but thats not likely to happen).
Only thing that has stopped me so far, is doubt over 24mm vs 28mm. That got me so distracted that a new timepiece arrived at the household. So now I have time, and Bjørn can report his findings to fuel my NAS over the weeks to come. I see this lens in my future  8)

-frank-
Frank Vevik

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
Sigma 24/1.4 wide open. No corrections in PP, so you get the full CA, distortion, vignetting, etc. Pardon the shot, I got many better portraits of Madame ; this one should at least have been cropped on the upper part, but you should see the bokeh and highlights.

For one thing, the sharpness in the center would please any dermatologist.

For the rest, CA is barely perceptible (not perceptible at all on the downsampled version). Vignetting is considerable but useful when, precisely, f/1.4 is for subject isolation. Bokeh is nice, despite some "posterizing" (left edge) that is also a characteristic of the Nikkor 50/1.4 SC, but much stronger in the latter case.

Foreground bokeh shows some cat's eyes effect on the highlights. No big issue in the present shot because they match the glittery stuff on Madame's clothes, but this could become annoying in other cases.

Now, if the Nikkor 24/1.8 happens to be even better, I can only say : get one and enjoy ! these are incredible times. I tested a rather good copy of the Nikkor 24/2 AIS at a shop, recently. But these ones belong to another class.
Airy Magnien

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
Strange eyes on that cat  ;)

Wonder how that happens, well it shows a hint to why the front Bokeh is like it is.

Looking forward to more on the Nikkor 24 1.8  ;)
Erik Lund