Author Topic: Nikon D5  (Read 86876 times)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: Nikon D5
« Reply #210 on: January 08, 2016, 20:36:17 »
CF card itself is not fragile.  It is the socket with a bunch of fragile pins.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #211 on: January 08, 2016, 20:41:47 »
I basicly did not change cards in the D3. So the XQD for the next Gen will be part of the original purchase
and then forgotten about. I hope to receive test samples soon...
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #212 on: January 08, 2016, 22:21:17 »
CF card itself is not fragile.  It is the socket with a bunch of fragile pins.

Well, I've shot >400 thousand images with SD and CF cards. I've never lost an image on CF card due to any fault of the card, nor had a card malfunction, or experienced any pin problem. (I've lost a couple of images by taking the card out of the camera while the camera (D70) was still writing and I've lost an image by accidentally deleting it, but these are not card format related problems). I've just recently lost two SD cards which simply refused to function in the camera. The SD card seems  fragile and my limited personal usage data makes me not trust them any more. With CF cards I have no reason not to trust them based on my experience so far.

I'm happy to uptake XQD but I am somewhat concerned about the card format's future. If it is abandoned in the future because of insufficient sales, then the cameras that use only XQD run risk of losing their value prematurely. If it becomes widely used and popular, any XQD cards bought today will lose a lot of their value because the new cards will likely be priced much cheaper after the volumes pick up. So there is some risk involved. But if the camera performance is severely lagging with CF then that's a bit of a problem too, if the intention is to use it for action with high fps bursts. For me the interest in the D5 is in the ergonomics, durability, the resistance to harsh environmental conditions etc. and the autofocus, but I almost always shoot in single shot mode so I'm unlikely to run into the buffer limit even with CF cards. I have enough CF cards to last a lifetime and they work with two of my other cameras which is great when one camera is backup to the other, no need to maintain an archive of a variety of different card types and always keep them ready to go. For me, XQD cards increase the cost of camera purchase by a minimum of about 15% so that's not a trivial cost. However, if the XQD format becomes successful in the future the XQD version may retain its resale value  better than the CF version. I assume Nikon only make a finite number of replacement card interfaces and those would probably not be available after the camera itself is discontinued in about 4 years. It would be great if Nikon provided the parts for the other card  type with each D5. This would make the camera a bit more future proof.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #213 on: January 08, 2016, 23:46:29 »
I used D2H extensively and Canon 5D MkIII briefly, and hadn't had any issues with CF cards either.  But I was very careful whenever I insert the card into the slot of the cameras, because I felt the pins fragile.  My friend pro-photog had had a pin broken on his D1X, which had made me careful.  I'd had similar reports on the net, too.  I think the construction of CF card slot has a potential problem of "jamming finger" type of breakage of pins.

Having said that, I don't advocate the superiority of SD card system.  I've experienced a trouble of a slot of my D7000 being unable to regocnize a card which had absolutely no problem.  After repeated inserting and releasing, the camera recognized the card again.  I think the sring design of the contacts of SD card slot have a potential contact problem.  And, yes, the card itself does feel more fragile than a CF.

I believe XQD card design addresses these potential problems, but I understand Ilkka's concern about the popularity of XQD.  So far as I'm aware, D4/4s and a handful of Sony professional videocams are the only hardware that uses XQD.  It is very strange that none of Sony A7 series bodies use XQD.  Even the latest A7S II which offers the 4K raw shooting on the internal card.  Possibly because XQD cards are still pretty expensive and would have affected the popularity of A7 series.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #214 on: January 09, 2016, 01:15:15 »
well... you can always have Nikon replace the XQD with CF..

but i invested in XQD with the D4 & D4s... including both readers for the newer G-series as well.. the only issue for me is all those CF cards i know own and the thought of having to buy more XQD.. they are faster

although the second run (s-series) produced a bad card and it would slow down after it starting filling up.. happened with a friend of mine also..
Robert L Friedman, Massachusetts, USA
www.pbase.com/bobfriedman

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #215 on: January 09, 2016, 06:45:47 »
Get the XQD version, but buy the CF module as a spare.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #216 on: January 09, 2016, 09:03:09 »
well... you can always have Nikon replace the XQD with CF..

but i invested in XQD with the D4 & D4s... including both readers for the newer G-series as well.. the only issue for me is all those CF cards i know own and the thought of having to buy more XQD.. they are faster

although the second run (s-series) produced a bad card and it would slow down after it starting filling up.. happened with a friend of mine also..

Does G-Series XQD card require special adaptations in the D4S camera as well?
or just a special reader?
Wolfgang Rehm

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #217 on: January 09, 2016, 11:06:18 »
Does G-Series XQD card require special adaptations in the D4S camera as well?
or just a special reader?

reader only..

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #218 on: January 09, 2016, 11:07:26 »
Get the XQD version, but buy the CF module as a spare.

my understanding is that requires the cam being sent back to Nikon service... it may be plug and play but requires a service installation. probably costs $$

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #219 on: January 09, 2016, 11:14:30 »
The replacement of XQD with CF is a service to be conducted at a qualified Nikon Repair shop. And will cost you $$.

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #220 on: January 09, 2016, 11:23:41 »
i don't understand why someone would pay seven thousand for a camera and then save on memory cards?
i have been using the XQD card on the D4 and it is extremely quick. beware it is not indestructible. i managed to crack the plastic rim when inserting the card into the card reader.
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #221 on: January 09, 2016, 11:53:20 »
Wolfgang Rehm

Marco Lanciani

• NG Member
  • Roma, Italy
« Reply #222 on: January 09, 2016, 12:07:43 »
Never used a card reader. Never had a problem with cards.

The extra speed of a card reader it's been never a necessity.
Marco Lanciani

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #223 on: January 09, 2016, 12:37:12 »
Never used a card reader. Never had a problem with cards.

The extra speed of a card reader it's been never a necessity.

I prefer using a card reader for convenience. Just dont like to connect the Camera directly to the Computer.
The downside? I need to take more care of the card to protect them
Wolfgang Rehm

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #224 on: January 09, 2016, 12:53:40 »
The USB port in the camera is less robust than the card slot. Better to pull the card and insert into a dedicated reader.

Besides, with some tripod brackets the left-hand side port(s) might be blocked.