Author Topic: Nikon D5  (Read 86044 times)

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Nikon D5
« Reply #345 on: March 14, 2016, 21:57:53 »
The optical remote is really imprecise in timing; I tested them when I needed to synchronize firing several cameras and the IR was terrible, there was a long random delay. The electrical remote offers precise timing.

I now use the WR-10 which offers remote firing of one or several cameras by radio. It can also be used to control flashes in Nikon's new radio based flash system.

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #346 on: March 16, 2016, 01:47:18 »
The full electronic shutter of the mirrorless cameras are indeed perfectly silent, but this is only when the lens is used wide open or with the adapted manual focus lenses.  The actuation of the aperture makes audible noise in a very quiet situation.  I don't know this can be tolerated in the film and/or broadcast industries, but the genuine lenses do make noises, ironically.
My witness says that the aperture actuation noise is usually not an issue in film and TV settings.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Edgy01

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #347 on: May 17, 2016, 07:44:03 »
How many of you are actually looking forward to upgrade to the D5? Personally I am still a happy owner of the original D3... never had a justifiable reason to upgrade.
Said that I am looking forward to see what Nikon will come up with!

I also am sill plugging along with my D3--my second Nikon DSLR (earlier was my D2X) and as I learn about nikonvrnturing into video capabilities in these newer cameras my interest is less.  I have no interest in anything video.  For that, I will use a dedicated video camera--not a DSLR turned into something else. 

Not too impressed with several of the comments about the D5.  If I need to step up I would only go to a D4S, if that.

Sadly, I like the features of the top of the line Nikons, like mirror lock up, and enhanced ISO sensitivity, and being able to dial in a non-chipped Nikkor into the EXIF file.    Maybe would consider the D810 but stills now very little about them so far.

Have not even seen comments within this forum about the D810.

Anyone?

Dan

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #348 on: May 17, 2016, 08:04:05 »
I have no interest in anything video.  For that, I will use a dedicated video camera--not a DSLR turned into something else. 

Right...DSLRs make pretty awful cinema or television cameras, from a handling and operability standpoint.  They make good suicide cameras...strapped onto the sides of crashing cars, etc.   Better to destroy a $3000 thing than a $300,000 thing.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #349 on: May 17, 2016, 10:48:48 »
...."Not too impressed with several of the comments about the D5.  If I need to step up I would only go to a D4S, if that."...

I have a D5 since last March; before I had a D4s to my entire satisfaction. I must say that the negative comments with regard to low dynamics at low ISO puzzled me. I decided to make a serie of landscape pictures at ISO 100 and high dynamics (alpine pictures with snow etc), which convinced me that it was a non issue in real life, at least with the sort of pictures I'm taking. The main purpose being action / sports photography: I can say the AF of the D5 is better than the one of the already perfect D4s; high ISO > 10'000 is not forbidden territory anymore.

Conclusion: yes the D5 is another major improvement; but the D4s is still a perfect camera; the only reason I changed, was to have "the latest one"  ;)

Landscape with a D5 & 300mm f/2.8 VRII

D5 & 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 @ 85mm f/8

and two pictures in the D5's field of expertise: sports / marathon:

D5 & 300mm f/2.8 VRII
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν