Author Topic: Nikon D5  (Read 86356 times)

Andy

• NG Member
Re: Nikon D5
« Reply #315 on: March 10, 2016, 14:36:13 »
For those who still need to get some additional XQD cards.

B&H photo is currently offering the 2933x XQD cards from Lexar for 50% off.
100$ for the 64 GB version,
160$ for the 128GB version

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=Lexar+2933x+XQD&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

I've ordered 2x 128 GB cards and including shipping and taxes, it is approx 450 $ (415 Euro). This is below the current European price for one card.

rgds,
Andy

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #316 on: March 10, 2016, 15:18:20 »
I just checked the price for one 64GB card plus card reader and it was
235 USD incl duties taxed s&h...
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #317 on: March 10, 2016, 19:39:16 »
Now is not a good  time to buy XQD cards as if the D500 is a success the prices of the cards will fall to a fraction of what they are now. Only buy what you know you will need in the short term.

Tersn

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • On Flickr
« Reply #318 on: March 14, 2016, 09:22:15 »
So the shutter is noisy? Having a D5 on preorder, I had been hoping the shutter would be much more quiet  than that of the noisy D3s, which tends to scare away wildlife.  :-\
Terje S.

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #319 on: March 14, 2016, 10:04:35 »
I do not have experience with the D3s. The mirror has to move faster in the D5 so the sound is a bit higher pitch. I don't know if it is more distractive than the D3s. I only can say that the D810 has a softer and quieter sound than the D5 in my perception but no measurements were made.

I think maybe if the sound is a problem, consider using the silent mode of the D5, a D810 or the D500. My living subjects are people and I find the D810 advantageous because of its relative quietness but the difference in sound would not stop me from using the D5 when it is advantageous to do so.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #320 on: March 14, 2016, 10:22:59 »
My perception of the shutter of the D5 is the sound is confident, contained, and not very loud. There is a short 'clack' that dies away almost instantly. The D3S is noisier. However, in either case if the shooting rate increases, so does accompanying noise.

Why not use a blimp if you are in a  hide and don't want to frighten the animals off?

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #321 on: March 14, 2016, 10:47:40 »
I understand that the mirror speeds goes up with the fps but it would be nice if Nikon can make this a little more dynamic, as in using less force to work the mirror when slower fps rates are used.
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Tersn

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • On Flickr
« Reply #322 on: March 14, 2016, 11:14:42 »
My perception of the shutter of the D5 is the sound is confident, contained, and not very loud. There is a short 'clack' that dies away almost instantly. The D3S is noisier. However, in either case if the shooting rate increases, so does accompanying noise.

Why not use a blimp if you are in a  hide and don't want to frighten the animals off?

Using a sound blimp could be a good idea. As they seem to be rather expensive (about $1000 as far as I can tell), one might try to build one at home.
Terje S.

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #323 on: March 14, 2016, 11:22:13 »
I understand that the mirror speeds goes up with the fps but it would be nice if Nikon can make this a little more dynamic, as in using less force to work the mirror when slower fps rates are used.

The mirror down time is used by autofocus and viewing. If a slow-mirror mode (i.e. quiet mode) is used then the AF sensor is blinded for this extra period when the mirror is moving at a slower pace. Thus by the time the shutter opens, the AF will have been in the dark for a longer time and the focus may be less precise if the subject movement is not fully predictable than if normal mode had been used where the mirror moves faster and the AF sensor info is more recent by the time the shutter opens.

Instead of a single crisp sound, in the quiet mode you get a quieter sequence of sounds, which are quite audible to the photographer but may be below the threshold of detection by living things further away. My main issue with quiet mode is that there is an increased shutter delay and I can't easily accommodate that in my photography of people; timing is too crucial.

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #324 on: March 14, 2016, 11:52:49 »
I wasn't talking about quiet mode :)

Slower fps cameras tend to be quieter because there's less mirror violence going on internally, would be nice if a D5 can tone back to those levels of fps and lower noise levels without resorting to quiet mode which isn't meant for semi high fps use if I'm not mistaken (been without a Nikon for a while now ;) ).
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #325 on: March 14, 2016, 12:08:27 »
I've tried the quiet mode of various Nikon bodies but don't think they make sense.  To my ears, the noisiest sound comes from the shutter curtains and not from the mirror.  The shutter noise contains more of high frequencies which is the noisiest portion of the whole sound when the shutter is released.  So, slowing down the mirror in the quiet mode doesn't really reduce the noise.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #326 on: March 14, 2016, 13:05:20 »
Thats certainly true for the original a7R, it didn't have a mirror but also no electronic first curtain, the shutter curtains alone were louder than my D800E in normal mode :o :o :o

I remember Erik making CLACK CLACK jokes when shooting around him  ;D ;D
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #327 on: March 14, 2016, 13:29:38 »
What makes the situation worse is the quiet single shot mode ("Q" position) which separates the mirror up/shutter actuation stage and the mirror down stage.  So, the "Q" position makes two separate CLACKs!   :o :o :o
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Almass

« Reply #328 on: March 14, 2016, 13:31:57 »
I like the noise of the shutter as not only I have been used to it long ago...............But it does help coordinate visual and audible senses when shooting in cont mode speed and even in single mode as it is an audible confirmation to anticipate the shot or to confirm the shot

In many instances when shooting in darkness you can tell whether you are falling low on the shutter speed simply by hearing as too busy concentrating on the shot and not the camera settings. Add to that, when you are shooting in tandem with another photographer, you can hear his shutter and hence you know that you are covered if you missed the shot and you know if he is in cont mode or single mode.......It all adds up to the shoot.

I would not want a silent shutter and have no need for it. It will just throw me off balance........

I do not shoot in silent locations and when I do, it is probably with a longish lens far from the action and they cannot hear the camera, only the people close to you can hear it. I also do not shoot wildlife so no problem in disturbing or ruining the shot.

Political correctness with your shutter noise or securing the shot?
Your camera, your photographs, your choice

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #329 on: March 14, 2016, 13:33:22 »
........But it does help coordinate visual and audible senses when shooting in cont mode speed and even in single mode as it is an audible confirmation to anticipate the shot or to confirm the shot

never thought of it that way - and actually I also rely on the sound. good point.
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za